• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Any Ideas on how to add HP to my 1995 Skandic??

yea, she's a bone stock fan cooled Skandic 503 ... ohhhh, ahhh! yep!
why? you might ask would I want to increase a few ponies on a utility sled?

well both my father and I have the exact same sled and as cheesy as it sounds i want to change a sprocket and add a few horses just to create a funny rivalry we always have when we race out to our fishing spots.

I was thinking if I added reed valves to this thing it may help..but it also doesn't have a power valve, so i dunno what i can do to it? or how I can mod it safely.
obviously I don't want spray, i need something he can't see readily either.:D
I think this thing only comes in at about 60hp.

N
Nov 26, 2007
CowTown
yea, she's a bone stock fan cooled Skandic 503 ... ohhhh, ahhh! yep!
why? you might ask would I want to increase a few ponies on a utility sled?

well both my father and I have the exact same sled and as cheesy as it sounds i want to change a sprocket and add a few horses just to create a funny rivalry we always have when we race out to our fishing spots.

I was thinking if I added reed valves to this thing it may help..but it also doesn't have a power valve, so i dunno what i can do to it? or how I can mod it safely.
obviously I don't want spray, i need something he can't see readily either.:D
I think this thing only comes in at about 60hp.

Seriously? LMAO! You can get little NOS kits that run on a 9V battery (for mini bikes), I know you said you didn't want spray but.....its safe IMO. Otherwise, bore job probably. Maybe cut head. Clutch it (if there is a kit). There are no aftermarket parts for this sled as far as I know so you'll have to improvise. Maybe jet leaner but taking a chance. Index those spark plugs, that should be good for about 1/2 HP. Something that he won't be able to see? Internal motor mods or clutching, otherwise if you mod the pipe, etc., he will be able to see it.

N
Jan 21, 2008
Newfoundland, Canada
Hey, this is my first post here on snowest.

I used to ride a skandic 440 and I wanted to mod it. I couldn't find any performace parts. But I noticed that the 440 engine in my sled, and the one in the fan mxz, had different carbs and exhaust. After doing more research, I found out that the fan mxz 440 made 5 more hp then my sled.

I have driven both a fan summit 503, and skandic 503, and the summit definately had more power. Does your sled have on carb? Does it have a one piece exhaust, I'm pretty sure I have seen 503's with cans.

Thanks for your first post Nick! yea mine has a two piece exhaust with the can and ugly tuned pipe.. i've got the twin mikuni carbs on that puppy.
as far as not being able to see, as long as it fits under the hood, if i open the hood and see twin pipes it don't matter, as long as he can't see it outside the outside..

I did look at the Y-pipe, it did look a little small, I wonder if any of the newer fan motors have any crossover parts that will fit for an increase? (haha, when i say newer i mean late '90's)

** sigh, 5hp.. damn! I think the skis would lift off the ground! LMAO!

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
You'd be right in at 55hp or so. there's lots of room on these little guys. Compresison is only about 9/1 stock. With porting, pipe and such you can get to 80hp on pump gas and have a nice little sled. Guys have built these things to 90, but you need to figure out how to cool it and run better fuel.

We built a 550 backcountry for my dad. Split Second did all the engine work and NPP did a single pipe for it. After all said and done we were at 80hp. It runs real nice. Cooling is the only issue on the fans, so make sure you are jetted a little fat. On the freestyle chassis the intake air for the fan is right above the shock tower. We took the screen off the intake so it gets a shot of snow in there now and again. We run one egt probe and one on the engine air temp.

Last edited:
Premium Features