• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Differences in axys chassis vs pro ride

N
Feb 3, 2016
Hi; Wondering if anybody knows the differences, if any, between the actual chassis on the axys model and the pro ride chassis. Other than the obvious raised chassis, both sled chassis look identical. :face-icon-small-hap

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
But serioisly it looks similar. But a lot of little changes added up to a huge improvement

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
At a quick glance they are similar. The major geometry is very close if you discount the 1 3/8" suspension drop.

If you start looking at the details they are quite different. Polaris Learned a lot from the PRO-Ride chassis and for the AYXS the consolidated multiple castings into one (eliminating a lot of heavy fasteners in the process), they reduced the structural webbing in the bulkhead castings where it was overkill, they reduced the size, span, and orientation of the castings used to tie the over structures together, they formed (upset) the tunnel by the foot wells to stiffen and strengthen it (did the same to the rear tunnel close off). Increased the size of the rear cooler cross tube to now be full cooler flow size and add rigidity and not choke coolant flow (IMO; why the AXYS stays cooler than the PRO in marginal conditions). The engine mounting straps are now part of the crank case eliminating those 4 heavy fasteners. Etc. Etc.

RMKillR

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2009
Wisco
I do know when you hop from a 16, to 11-15 the feel in difference is unreal!! The axys steering is effortless, the pro feels like there is resistance bands on the steering post. The axys feels light and nimble, the pro feels like the front is filled with concrete, the pro is easy to lay on it side... The axys is effortless! The throttle response of the axys makes the pro feel laggy. In fact after switching a few times my buddy now is also on an axys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I haven't looked but does anyone know if they changed or upgraded the steering block bushings to improve the steering slop you end up with??? I ended up throwing a set of OFT steering blocks in my Pro and what a difference !!!

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
As LoudHandle mentioned above, lots of little changes that add up to a lot. I feel Polaris was watching what customers were doing to their Pro's with aftermarket products and also incorporated some of those. For example, for years many of us were buying "Drop & Roll" kits from places like Fastrax ftxmotorsports.com to get a better track angle and to get up on the snow quicker. Now it comes with one factory! New lower gearing, again like the aftermarket gear-down kits like Kurtspolaris.com. This keeps belts cooler helping to last longer, higher track speeds and improved throttle response.
Better tunnel coolers, again like ones from Fastrax. Coolant bypass kits and more.
Suspension changes with new geometry in the rear suspension that improves lift and performance like the old Holz. Revised shock valving for front and rear suspensions feels like what Carl's cycles has been doing for us customers for years making the stock shocks feel completely different and finally work! The 2.6" and 3" tracks, again the old Pro track was ok, but many were swapping tracks to aftermarket. My 2.6" stock track now rocks! Ive tried everything in the past with tracks (different brands, cutting down lugs etc). Polaris is finally coming with great tracks stock. New A-arms, some people don't like them, however the reason they were made with forged aluminum was for lite weight, strength, and engineered "give" like a crumple zone in any new vehicles. They were made with "ductility" designed in them to give, but also to work with the raised chassis and new spindles. The spindles are an improvement them selves. Look at how many people have been putting on aftermarket spindles and A-arms on the old Pro's. Polaris was again following the customers and aftermarkets lead and refining these parts. Could they change the a-arms a little for next year? I think so, nothing is perfect, however I have so much bark on mine from hitting everything under the sun (snow) and haven't broke or bent mine yet (once going over the bars from a stump). The rear rails are improved as well, once again following what customers are doing. They are lighter (three lbs), stronger and 15% stiffer. There is a little play in the steering, however the poly bushings are part of design to make steering quick and lite, but have a give point from taking a hit. In the last 3 years only one of my friends broke one, but he also broke the overstructue from a hard hit. I carry this poly bushing in my pack now incase I brake one. The side panels are more compact from the Pro, keeping the sled from paneling out as easy. Great factory running boards as well which are the best they have had for years as far as strength and rigid, however the foot hoop is way to small. Again, nothing is perfect and again the aftermarket to the rescue like B&M's burly boards with the much bigger foot loop. Overall its a better balanced chassis, lighter and stronger that flat out works. If your reading this Polaris, Thank you but please change the foot hoop!
I know this tread is about the Chassis, but don't discount how the improvements in the motor transfer to the success of the feel of the chassis. Examples are the light weight crank, spools quick, less rotating mass (gyro effect) and snappiness helping to get up on the snow quicker. Other engine mods that improve the same are the new V-Force reeds, and more power to weight ratio.

Last edited:

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
They may look similar but they are not even close to the same sled.

The axys is 95% NEW/Different from the Pro. Basically the footwell hoops and running boards and crappy rear bumper are the same and thats it. They aren't even close in handling, power, ride, and feel.

And that is where Polaris Marketing is struggling the most to get people on the axys. People look at the axys and pro as the same sled with a different motor. Just like the OP in this thread. The sleds are worlds apart even if they look similar.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
They may look similar but they are not even close to the same sled.

The axys is 95% NEW/Different from the Pro. Basically the footwell hoops and running boards and crappy rear bumper are the same and thats it. They aren't even close in handling, power, ride, and feel.

And that is where Polaris Marketing is struggling the most to get people on the axys. People look at the axys and pro as the same sled with a different motor. Just like the OP in this thread. The sleds are worlds apart even if they look similar.
The handling is better because the chassis is taller. Same thing happened when we raised the Mod sleds with taller front end and extended case., The Pro sits lower which resist tipping.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
The handling is better because the chassis is taller. Same thing happened when we raised the Mod sleds with taller front end and extended case., The Pro sits lower which resist tipping.

FYI, I run a lower, narrower front end on my AXYS and prefer it over the taller wider design. It is more stable but rolls up just as easy, just more predictable. The steering is just as good although I originally thought it would not have enough ski pressure.

N
Feb 3, 2016
Thanks for the response

Thanks for all the info. I know the obvious differences between the axys and pro ride machines. I own a new 2016 assault and my brother owns a 2014 assault. The differences in the two machines is significant and my new assault is a much nicer,easier to ride machine than my brothers 2014 but if you put the two side by side and look at the tunnels on both they appear eerily similar. |I was wondering if the tunnel design on the two were the same but just raised on the 2016. A couple of your posts cleared a few questions that I had, Thank you very much..:face-icon-small-coo

MikeMetzger

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2013
Edmonds Wa
Get on an M-Series sled and ride it around

Then get on a Pro and ride it around

The difference between the Axys and the Pro is very similar to the difference between the M-Series and Pro. (IMO)

Obviously grossly simplified, but I feel its a good comparison after riding all three sleds.

GreenState

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
McCall
I haven't looked but does anyone know if they changed or upgraded the steering block bushings to improve the steering slop you end up with??? I ended up throwing a set of OFT steering blocks in my Pro and what a difference !!!

You'll want the OFT ones for your Axys as well. Stock are junk.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..

Different size.

Polzin and oft sell them.

Premium Features