• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Setting up the 300 XC for snow

T
Aug 12, 2008
Misery Bay, MI
Just got my Extended Choke Cable from Lectron, to make it easer to get at. Will be way nicer.
Also got a 4-2 metering rod that they said works great. My 3-3 works good, but might try it.
Said to start it way richer length, @ 2.024", instead of 2.078with the 3-3. Assuming so it will compensate for the lean low end taper. Wondering if anyone has tried this 4-2 needle on there Snowbike?

They sent me the same needle, its in the carb right now but no seat time...

C
Dec 3, 2014
They sent me the same needle, its in the carb right now but no seat time...

Rode with it last Weekend on my 330. Worked great at the starting length. Just had to lower the Idle a little, from the 3-3. Might richen the rod 1/4 turn just because I think it could make it a little better. But that's just me being fussy. I like it better then the 3-3.

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Montana
My Lectron came from them setup with the 4-2 needle. I took my first ride on it yesterday. My bike ran perfect all day and I never touched a single setting. I never rode it with the 36mm Keihin as a snow bike, but it felt like it had noticeably more top end with the 38mm high velocity Lectron. Bike absolutely ripped and I was extremely surprised how well it worked for being a basically stock 2007 300 XC-W. I watched a guy with a YZ450FX try to climb a hill and he had to turn out about 2/3 of the way up. I was curious how my bike would compare, so took a stab at it. I track poached for a little ways and went right over the top. He hit it again on the 450FX and had to turn out at the same spot as before. He outweighed me by at least 50 lbs, so I am sure that had a lot to do with it. Regardless, it still made me feel good.

C
Dec 3, 2014
What are you guys running your fuel screw at while running the 3-3?

I'm not sure. I know that I turned it out 1.5 turns from stock. Was too lean last summer, when on wheels. I'd check where it's at for you, but it's at our Cabbin and I'm at work. Id call Lectron and ask them where to start.

M

MountainRider05

Nov 29, 2007
Kennewick,WA
So all in all would it be worth putting a track under a 2smoker.? I have a 14 husky TE300 and been trying to figure out a way to keep my sled and hav a snowbike. I Always thought that making the 300 into a snowbike would be too much of a PIA.??. but dnt have the funds to just go out and buy a new 450 and plus I absolutely love my street legal 300 in the summer time! So what would i be in for? Do i have to do motor mods to even try and keep up with the 500/450s? And the carb, im not a very good carb wizard.! or do u hav to be one? Would like to keep stock carb if possible. Reliability is another thing is it harder on a 2stroke vs 4stroke? Probably would want a 16 or newer timbersled st120.. but Does Camso make a fit kit for the ktm/husky 300 and is anybody running one?.. Any other things that would be a Pros or cons for tracking a 300?

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
So all in all would it be worth putting a track under a 2smoker.? I have a 14 husky TE300 and been trying to figure out a way to keep my sled and hav a snowbike. I Always thought that making the 300 into a snowbike would be too much of a PIA.??. but dnt have the funds to just go out and buy a new 450 and plus I absolutely love my street legal 300 in the summer time! So what would i be in for? Do i have to do motor mods to even try and keep up with the 500/450s? And the carb, im not a very good carb wizard.! or do u hav to be one? Would like to keep stock carb if possible. Reliability is another thing is it harder on a 2stroke vs 4stroke? Probably would want a 16 or newer timbersled st120.. but Does Camso make a fit kit for the ktm/husky 300 and is anybody running one?.. Any other things that would be a Pros or cons for tracking a 300?

Works great. I say get a higher performance head, and thermostat /carb heat at minimum. Maybe think about a second carb in the 38mm range for snowuse. I have a 38mm pwm that I would sell cheap. You will be shifting a lot but way lighter and quieter than 450. Lots of fun

M

MountainRider05

Nov 29, 2007
Kennewick,WA
So i belive i already hav a thermostat since i hav he added fan already?! i would hav to see what temp it opens at. What carb heater works the best!? Are u guys tweaking with the carb every ride or once i get it dialed it should be good to go?

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
UPDATE

Just updating that I gave up on this project. It was extremely frustrating and I would not try it again. I think the 450 was almost just as bad. It ran fine but the hard starting, inconsistent coolant temps, oil changes and engine braking were annoying as well. I would say the 450 is marginally better overall unless you get the bill to rebuild one.

It would of been nice to try a Lectron and EGT gauge on the 300 but I was tired of dumping money in

GOOD:
When this bike decided to run it would run great and IMO gives up no power to a 450 as long as you are on the pipe and precise with gear changes. Rode a 450FX back to back with the 300 and they are very similar. As they should since according to the dyno the 300 actually made an extra hp.

The quick rev and hard hitting power are an advantage in the trees.

Feels a lot lighter riding then a four stroke despite the scale saying they are within a few pounds

Starts easily. Could leave in my trailer when it was below zero and it started right up. My Honda 450 wouldn't start if was below 25.

No engine braking is fantastic. I despise the engine braking on a 4 stroke

BAD:

Horribly inconsistent. Not even from day, but in 20 minute intervals. Would run spot on all the way up to the riding area. Ride off trail for an hour and all of a sudden it would want to sputter, or just not run clean. Then it would run fine for a while and then change its mind. In the summer I ride from 5000-10000 ft and temps from 30-90 degrees and the jetting always feels good with no changes. Why the snow changes it so much is a mystery.

Feels nutless on the trail. Low top speed and you have to run it hard and on the pipe to keep your speed up on the trail.

XC tranny feels gappy at times. SX tranny would be better but then top speed would be like 30.

After dealing with more headaches with snow biking in the last two seasons then the previous 10 sledding, I'm going back to a sled. At least until a proven factory snowbike/single ski machine comes out.

I don't mind working on stuff in the shop but I hate messing with anything in the field. When I go riding, I want to ride and not tinker. The snowbike reminds me of the sleds of 20 years ago where you just mod everything, tweak often, hope it works and gets you home

Last edited:
M

MountainRider05

Nov 29, 2007
Kennewick,WA
Thats why i still want to keep my sled.. theres days for sleds and days for snowbikes. Thanks for ur input on the 300.. i might just hav to look for a efi 450 sounds like to much tinkering vs riding..

Clay911

Lifetime Membership
Aug 22, 2010
Alberta
i realize bikes are different but last year(oct 15) i got my first track kit and my first 300(12 XC) before i ever mounted my track kit i put a lectron on and avid thermostat and carb heater and covered the engine in with crazy carpet.

i never touched my bike once all winter. i rode in all temperatures and snow conditions and it ran flawless EVERY day. i ride with only 4 strokes and most of if not all of them have had some issues at some point.

i also use the same carb and change the needle over and have no issue in the summer. just some positive feedback for the people thinking the 300 is too much work.

T
Aug 12, 2008
Misery Bay, MI
Just updating that I gave up on this project. It was extremely frustrating and I would not try it again. I think the 450 was almost just as bad........ where you just mod everything, tweak often, hope it works and gets you home

You pretty much described my 300 experience until I added the Lectron. All season it's been spot on, pretty much rips all the time. I did add the 100w stator for extra power and the SX box from slavens despite being told it didn't work by KTM, it seems to hit harder and and a have a bit more overrev. And so far my 4-2 needle has been excellent.

S

simbatheking

Feb 5, 2010
invermere bc
Inconsistent operation

I wonder if a lot of the inconcistencies could be related to the pipe changing temp. U said it ran great on trail then the problems came off trail. I have only spent 10 min on a snow bike but have a fair bit of 2 stroke engine building experience. I'm about to finish phase 1 of my project which is te300 yeti. Carb heat tube on stock carb, thermobob, and I made a heat shield for the pipe out of exhaust blanket insulation. I'll give an update tomorrow hopefully. Also what's the best place to tap in for 12v dc power?

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
I wonder if a lot of the inconcistencies could be related to the pipe changing temp. U said it ran great on trail then the problems came off trail. I have only spent 10 min on a snow bike but have a fair bit of 2 stroke engine building experience. I'm about to finish phase 1 of my project which is te300 yeti. Carb heat tube on stock carb, thermobob, and I made a heat shield for the pipe out of exhaust blanket insulation. I'll give an update tomorrow hopefully. Also what's the best place to tap in for 12v dc power?

I thought about that too but honestly it ran better on deep snow days. Thought the motor might be getting too cold but it seemed to run better with a cold coolant temp then 150-170 degrees

There really was no rhyme or reason to its inconsistency

I'm glad its worked for some guys. Maybe a Lectron is the answer? I know the Smartcarb isn't as I know someone who has had a ton of trouble with it

T
Aug 12, 2008
Misery Bay, MI
I thought about that too but honestly it ran better on deep snow days. Thought the motor might be getting too cold but it seemed to run better with a cold coolant temp then 150-170 degrees

There really was no rhyme or reason to its inconsistency

I'm glad its worked for some guys. Maybe a Lectron is the answer? I know the Smartcarb isn't as I know someone who has had a ton of trouble with it

If you have the cash to try it I'd order a Lectron with carb heat, use a simple silicone reducer intake and 2 outerwears on a just a cage no foam. if it doesn't work I know there is a market for a used Lectron.

K
Dec 9, 2015
Mill City, OR
300 XCW, Stock Head, Stock CDI, Lectron 36mm

I'm been running a plated stock 2012 300 XCW in the dirt for a couple of years and loved it.

We started running some trips with big elevation and temp changes (WY to AZ and back to ID in 2 weeks) and I decided I am not a fan of precision tweaking and jetting adjustments, so opted for Lectron from Slavens and installed night before 800 miles up, down and across Idaho. Couldn't be happier! No problems, no late night jet changes for next days ride, no issues... just fun.

Just installed Camso DTS 129 and did short stretch-in ride and then a more serious attempt in great snow south of Bend. Bike and Lectron did fine EXCEPT letting me know I definitely need a carb heater. Frozen slide at full throttle is a little uncomfortable... Ordered Avid today and am expecting good things. Will most likely buy or make snow shield to block snow blow from rear track setup and from front off ski. Jon at SXS has a good looking option.

I ordered the choke relocate from Lectron as a necessity and a 4-2 needle to try. The 3-3 seemed to do fine for the riding I was able to do in between carb thaw sessions, but I'm open to trying 4-2.

I'm running a Z-Start Pro with no clutch lever since during summer the left perch is a LHRB, but I think I'm going to throw the lever back on to help on launch and reduce pressures shifting under load.

And the Camso track and ski seemed to work great on the 300 and as a kit by comparison to Mototrax and TS. I'm not a motocrosser where I would expect to need the extra suspension setups. Running hard pack and trail is surprisingly stable. It floats well and hooks up good on the side hills. Mind you, I haven't gotten into anything too crazy on my first day, but I think I'll be real happy on the 300 XCW, Lectron, Avid and Camso combo.

Should have it together early next week and I'll post an update on how it does.

For what it's worth...

M

MountainRider05

Nov 29, 2007
Kennewick,WA
Def keep me posted on your set up.. basically same bike i have exept no lectron and its a husky.. i want to keep my sled and track my 300 but dnt want to be tweaking all the time to get it to run right. Was considering selling both bike and sled to get a new 450 and track but if i can track my 300 and have no problems sounds like it would be a fun fun snowbike!

G
Nov 15, 2015
Fargo
2 stroke is a blast. I have a cr500 and aside from electric start I love it! I rode from -15* to 40* this year and never touched he carb once, they are pretty forgiving in cold weather if the jetting is close. If I was to buy a new bike it would be a 300 since they are electric start and balance shaft now. I prefer 2 stroke to 450s as the sound of them drives me insane. Just be sure to have a second carb with heat for winter.

Premium Features