• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Future Snowbiker Questions

M
Dec 17, 2016
Northern Illinois
Good Morning everyone! So unfortunately I had to take this winter off due to a lack of time but I am already getting excited about next year. I sold my sled and plan to be a fulltime snow biker next year. I have a 2019 CRF450R and have already been buying all the necessary supporting mods (thermostat, engine cover etc.). My questions primarily rely in what kit I should pick up. I am looking to possibly snowcheck a timbersled this spring but I am torn between a riot 120 or the riot 3. I primarily ride in the UP of Michigan but do plan to head out west at least once a year. so my questions are as follows, does anyone know the details of the new models that are being released for 2024? Should I be concerned about lack of agility with the 129 vs the 120? Which of these kits is more durable? I appreciate all the help!

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
I personally wouldn't want to snowbike on trails. Nothing worse than if the snow is thin or its icy. Crossing pavement isn't great either. If there is a good snow pack and its fairly powdery its fine. The more you stay off the trail the better though.

That being said, probably best to stick with the 2.5" track for some trail but the 12.5" wide track would be good for the out west trips. I think the CMX 120 or 129 are good options as well as the MtnTop. Unfortunately those kits are spendy. Maybe the ZF would be a good option or the Riot/ARO with a 129x2.5?

E
Dec 19, 2007
You definitely don't need a 3-in track for one trip a year out west. I live here and I could have any track I want but I choose a two and a half because it's the best track for 90% of the time and we are in the middle of the deepest winter in my snow bike career.

BeeDoo

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2008
UT
Motox54,
In my experience of riding -- 10 years in da UP and about 15 years in the Utah Mountains -- I don't think I'd love the bike all that much on Michigan trails terrain. It's fine, as in, you can get down the trail and all, but it's just not that fun on a groomed trail. On a snowmobile, you can bomb at high speed and rip around turns and feel the power. On the bike, you're just kinda rolling along.
If you can get off the trail A LOT, then maybe it's worth it. Bikes are fun in the trees and in the powder that stuff. I'd have some fun in the ditches for a little while, but I don't know if I'd want to spend a whole day/days riding the trail...
But hey, I won't talk you out of it. I prefer my bike to my snowmobile these days. More power to ya.

(Oh, and I'd pay to get the heated bars in MI -- the bike is a colder ride than the snowmobile).

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Riot 120 is a reasonably priced decent kit. It does surprisingly well in the powder. I am on the 3 inch but I live in Utah. Had a 120 2.5” for a while and enjoyed it. Timber sled ski is not the best on the trail so you might want to experiment with that. personally, i am Boondocking within about a quarter mile from the truck so my ski is more for the deep. I rode a different area last weekend. 5 miles in. Even though the trail was groomed, I thought it was miserable. A short track racing sled would have been fun as hell!

M
Dec 17, 2016
Northern Illinois
Hey guys thanks for the input so far! I guess I should have been more clear! We do all off trail riding in the kingston plains. The only time we trail ride is when we are trying to get to one spot to another as quick as possible. In this case, the guys we ride with who are already on snow bikes simply ride slightly off the trail to avoid the icy corners. So 90% boondocking and 10% trail if that.

I have a Timbersled 2015 MH LT, a 2020 Camso DTS 129, and a 2023 Riot 3 Pro. The Camso kits are inexpensive and they rock for the price. They are faster than the Timbersled MH LT. It's a great option for the money. A lot of Timbersled guys talk crap about the Camso kits, but they keep up with the expensive tracks and are durable as hell. The RIOT 3 is super playful but it's probably overkill if you don't have a ton of powder. I ride the trees in Wolf Creek and I love the 3 inch track. My brother has the Yeti and his kit is by far the lightest and fastest.

jrlastofthebreed

It seemed like a good idea at the time
Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2016
Coeur d'Alene ID
Not sure how much snow you get up there but 120 kits do quite well. Ya you won't be able to pull a sled line straight up but youll switch back up there. Its light and playful. Espesially with a good motor behind them. The 3" tracks will obviously preform better on the deep but its a 129 and $$$. Whatever you get be sure to get the LE so you can quickly adjust shocks.

Now if your interested in other kits CMX 120 and Rale 120 (the cheeper option) are both really fun kits. In my opinion much more playful and climb better then a riot. Mtn Top i think is going to have a 120 next year. Haven't tired it but I think its going to be playful.

BeeDoo

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2008
UT
My brother just put a 137 on his KTM. We're gonna ride around Paradise/Grand Marais. Will report back next week.

BeeDoo

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2008
UT
Yep, the verdict is in. You should do it. Here's a video of my brother and I riding some UP fields.
Go and get that kit and get that bike going!

Last edited:

mumur

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2019
Bozeman, Montana
@motox54 I've got the same bike with a CMX 120 kit on it. I highly recommend it. I think it'd be a blast if you're riding off trail there, it's a lot more playful and under you than the other kits in my opinion. Also totally bombproof construction, the only problem I've ever had with it is a single snapped belt, and the newer ones have a much beefier belt than mine. The SnowChimps youtube channel has one in their fleet this year, and you can watch them come to love all the things I do about it over the course of a few videos this season.

Since your snow isn't crazy deep I'd avoid 3" tracks and really long rails. 120 should be the way to go for you in general (not that I struggle that much with a CMX 120 out here in Montana either).

M
Dec 17, 2016
Northern Illinois
Thanks for the advice. The more I've thought about it, I totally agree and think I'm going to go with a 120. I'm going to wait and see what timbersled is going to announce in a few weeks before I totally decide on a specific kit.

Premium Features