• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help! 99 Powder special electrical

vdo1948

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eastern South Dakota
As title says, I need help. Have 99 PS that the kid rides on the river once or twice a year. Last few years the tail light has been bright like brake is on and when brake is pressed it does not get brighter. Checked the electrical on brake switch and seeemd to be bad so replaced. Didn't solve the problem so I pulled the tail light pigtail out, checked continuity and replaced bulb. Still not better so pulled the seat off to get at main wiring harness. When I check continuity, I get continuity between any ground (brown) wire and any hot (yellow). That doesn't seem correct to me. I have most of the warmers, lights and the like disconnected. Any advice? This is driving me nuts.

VDO

Idcatman1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, Idaho
With bulbs in the system you will get continuity between ground and any hot wire. I was thinking voltage regulator until I read all your post. Eventually a bad voltage regulator will burn out bulbs. Maybe a short somewhere between the yellow and the red wire going to the tail light? That is the only thing I can think of that would make the brake light be on all the time.
Sorry I don't have a better idea.

Premium Features