• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rmk 700 Dragon Stator problem

K
Hi! I read a lot on the forum about stator problems on polaris Rmk CFI, but I'm missing something...

First here's the symptoms: Very easy cold start, idle perfectly for maybe 2min then slow down (at this time the battery indicator is flashing) and then after another minute stops

I check the grounds: Ok Tomorrow I'll add another ground as suggested on Polaris IQ info thread.

I took a couple of readings with a multimeter: with engine running, on the yellow wire coming from the stator, I read 10-12v ac when idling properly, but it decrease as the idle gets rougher (I read like 7-9v and then 1-2v and then engine stops).

0.6 ohm between any of the 3 wires before I start it and after he dies. (I always read when my engine is not running)

I'm pretty sure it's my stator, but I don't understand why my resistance reading is always good. For me, if the stator is broken it shouldn't have good resistance readings...

Some help from gurus out here will be appreciated.

Edit: It's for a 2007 Dragon 700 RMK

Last edited:
K
I mean the idle is dropping but not a lot. I don't know why, but it takes a minute or two for the snowmobile to stop. I finally ended up changing the voltage regulator. my problem is now solved! I'll do a compression check in a couple of days just to be sure.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
Could just be a bad capacitor. So the test on that and u will knw right away if that is good..sounds like it IMO..had similar issue in the past

Edit: didn't even read last post on the VR, lol. Anyways good info on capacitor for the next guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could just be a bad capacitor. So the test on that and u will knw right away if that is good..sounds like it IMO..had similar issue in the past

Edit: didn't even read last post on the VR, lol. Anyways good info on capacitor for the next guy.

How do you check the capacitor? Like what numbers/which wires should I be getting? I am experiencing similar issues and just replaced the VR and did not help my issue whatsoever.. I've tried everything with my sled

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
The small black box with a red and a brown wire coming from it. Isolate the wires and add 12vdc to the red and ground the brown wire.

This will charge the capacitor. Then remove the battery supply and use voltmeter and the voltage should "slowly" drop back to 0vdc. If it drains fast it's bad and will cause lots of issues.

It's basically a battery in the system and allows for a constant in Voltage to be used for light, garages, Warmers ect..otherwise it will fluctuate

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
pull your flywheel off and see if there is a bunch of fiberglass from the insulation off the pipe in your stator, it happened to me, I had spare parts and swapped everything, I then pulled my flywheel and found that it was packed with the fiberglass.

The small black box with a red and a brown wire coming from it. Isolate the wires and add 12vdc to the red and ground the brown wire.

This will charge the capacitor. Then remove the battery supply and use voltmeter and the voltage should "slowly" drop back to 0vdc. If it drains fast it's bad and will cause lots of issues.

It's basically a battery in the system and allows for a constant in Voltage to be used for light, garages, Warmers ect..otherwise it will fluctuate

How long do you hold power to the capacitor to charge it? Or is it just a brief touch then take off & take a reading with your voltmeter? Sorry...I don't mean to hijack the thread I'm just no electrician :noidea: the help/patience is overly appreciated!

J

jerrydecoy

May 12, 2011
coeurd'Alene, id
How long do you hold power to the capacitor to charge it? Or is it just a brief touch then take off & take a reading with your voltmeter? Sorry...I don't mean to hijack the thread I'm just no electrician :noidea: the help/patience is overly appreciated!

10 seconds and it should have the same volts as the charging source

Premium Features