• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Enclosed Trailer Fuel Tank

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
I'm looking at building a fuel tank for my enclosed. There has been some discussion on it here: http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3874200#post3874200

But the crux of the matter is this. I'm going to build a 5'x3'x1' fuel tank or 112 gallons. It will weigh about 800 lbs and be placed vertically in the V of the trailer. The weight will not be an issue as I ran some calcs in one of the posts in the other thread.

A question that was brought up was ventilation. I planned to just run a vented cap on it but now I'm second guessing that Idea. I'm wondering about maybe venting a hose down through the floor with a vented cap on the end. I will be running a hand style pump and a water separator on the outlet.

Just looking for input and suggestions from anyone who has done their own tanks or been around them. The problem with mounting it underneath in my mind is that it would require a more elaborate design that just a box in the trailer that could be removed if needed. Plus I have a hand pump bought already I planned to use and I don't know how I could make it work with a tank under the deck

the fix-it guy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
cottonwood,mn
Farm tanks are made out of uncoated steel.
If you put on about an 6-8 inch tall stand pipe the vented below the floor I believe you would be fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Farm tanks are made out of uncoated steel.
If you put on about an 6-8 inch tall stand pipe the vented below the floor I believe you would be fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

So just to see if I understand you right....for a vent, I'm envisioning a separate vent pipe that comes out the top, 90*, 6" nipple, 90* down, 5.5' of pipe through the floor and capped with a vented cap?

Seedie_Man

Lifetime Membership
Mar 3, 2008
Park Rapids, MN
I have a 90 gal aluminum tank in the front of my trailer. It's vented with a hose though the floor. For all the guys that think I'm crazy to have it inside, I already have 6 sleds with 11-12 gallons each inside. One of which holds enough gas to incinerate the whole trailer if there is a fire. And all of them venting inside the trailer.

In my mind it's probably the best mod I've done. If I have spare sled along I don't fill it until I need it. And if we need to come back to the trailer during the day for any reason, I just refill the sleds instead of worrying about running out during the day.

I have a 12 volt pump with an in-line meter so I can keep track of how much fuel I use and also to know what my riding partners owe me when I fill them.

Also the vent is very necessary when filling, when you are pulling fuel out just a vented cap isn't going to let air in fast enough to keep the tank from trying to collapse.

Steve

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
I have a 90 gal aluminum tank in the front of my trailer. It's vented with a hose though the floor. For all the guys that think I'm crazy to have it inside, I already have 6 sleds with 11-12 gallons each inside. One of which holds enough gas to incinerate the whole trailer if there is a fire. And all of them venting inside the trailer.

In my mind it's probably the best mod I've done. If I have spare sled along I don't fill it until I need it. And if we need to come back to the trailer during the day for any reason, I just refill the sleds instead of worrying about running out during the day.

I have a 12 volt pump with an in-line meter so I can keep track of how much fuel I use and also to know what my riding partners owe me when I fill them.

Also the vent is very necessary when filling, when you are pulling fuel out just a vented cap isn't going to let air in fast enough to keep the tank from trying to collapse.

Steve

Got mine all installed! I have just a hand pump, a fill cap, and a vent that is plumbed through the floor. So far I'm loving this. I put in 102 gallons of fuel and it is still down from the top about 3 inches or so. I think it will come in very handy, especially where I live. I won't have to worry about finding non ethanol anywhere and won't have to worry about the station being closed when I want to go riding on Christmas day. All around just very handy to have it on board. I put stabil storage in it too so I won't have to worry about it going bad or losing octane before I can use it.

here is a pic

IMG_2069[1].jpg

Premium Features