• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

12v microwave oven? or go converter

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Do they make a 12v microwave over to put into trailer / camper? Or get a 12v-120v converter?

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
Do they make a 12v microwave over to put into trailer / camper? Or get a 12v-120v converter?

ive never seen a microwave in 12v.

IMO the cost to buy an inverter large enough to run a microwave and the batteries to get enough capacity would be more than buying a honda generator and running it off of that.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
ive never seen a microwave in 12v.

IMO the cost to buy an inverter large enough to run a microwave and the batteries to get enough capacity would be more than buying a honda generator and running it off of that.

Trailer is already set up for battery 12v and external source 120v. Has a 120v to 12v converter BUT no 12v to 120 converter. Gotta a generator. Just trying to figure out best way to cook food.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Sounds like such a thing exists:

http://www.roadtrucker.com/12-volt-microwave-wavebox/12-volt-dc-microwave.htm

But I'd say if you already have a gene and a 120 "shore power" line in to trailer, I think you have your answer and you know what the performance will be. You can usually pick up a decent white microwave for nearly free off a buy&sell site, and away you go. I haven't seen a trailer with a substantial-enough inverter/battery set up to run a 120v microwave unplugged, but as said it wouldn't be cheap.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
I haven't seen a trailer with a substantial-enough inverter/battery set up to run a 120v microwave unplugged

I was thinking the same thing. Even all of the RV's we have had all needed to be plugged in or needed the generator running to run the microwave. Which is why when remote camping we always use either a propane camp grill or charcoal grill to cook with.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
micro wave will work off a PWM inverter but you need one 2000w or lager. you will also need a 3rd battery as the short draw will be hard on just two for very long. I use this set up on my RV but have 200 W solar mounted on the roof to help. the whole set up will cost you about 600.00. IMO use a coleman camp stove. or a generator

DUKHTR3

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Trailer is already set up for battery 12v and external source 120v. Has a 120v to 12v converter BUT no 12v to 120 converter. Gotta a generator. Just trying to figure out best way to cook food.
If u are trying to cook food y not use a grill. I sure don't like to eat food that is microwaved. I camp in my trailer and we grill everything. I have a electric grill that works great. Gas grills don't work very well for me cause it's seems to be way to windy. A pizzaz will cook just about anything to.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Microwave mostly to heat water for coffee / cocoa and cup of soups. Hot water to clean up a little.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I use this set up on my RV but have 200 W solar mounted on the roof to help. the whole set up will cost you about 600.00. IMO use a coleman camp stove. or a generator
Sorry for the side track...

With the solar....do you camp in fairly treed areas, or fairly open? Do you find it worthwhile? I am going to beef up my battery system next spring and am considering a few things, solar being 1. Just have a good single 12V now...but considering two 12V's with a battery switch, or two 6V's. Solar to go with either or...but not sure if it's worth it.

We spent about 30 nights in the TT this summer (never at serviced campgrounds). Not having to run the gene is nice....but realistically I burnt about $15 fuel through my EU2000 total, so it's more of a convenience thing than a "need" thing.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho

With the solar....do you camp in fairly treed areas, or fairly open? Do you find it worthwhile? I am going to beef up my battery system next spring and am considering a few things, solar being 1. Just have a good single 12V now...but considering two 12V's with a battery switch, or two 6V's. Solar to go with either or...but not sure if it's worth it.

We spent about 30 nights in the TT this summer (never at serviced campgrounds). Not having to run the gene is nice....but realistically I burnt about $15 fuel through my EU2000 total, so it's more of a convenience thing than a "need" thing.

as long as they get 4 hours of sun my system stays full. the first 12v x100w would not keep up when i added the second it was the trick but i did add a 3rd battery at the same time. I use a 2400 w inverter 12/120v mounted inside the storage area that backs the front of the trailer with my batterys. https://www.amazon.com/Cobra-CPI-25...619&sr=1-23&keywords=2000+watt+power+inverter
order the cable kit with it.

and somthing like this https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Watts...2677&sr=1-4&keywords=100+watt+solar+panel+kit and add the mc4 2 into 1 connector and just order a second panel

the kits are all about the same just pick what charge controller you want. ( this is the big cost ) i have mine mounted on the roof some keep them portable so you can park your trailer in the shade and put the panels in the sun.

summer months no problem when you get to the end of September the daylight gets short and temp falls you end up running the heat a bunch this is when you might pack the gen. I still havent run mine in 2 years and packed it 1/2 dozen time.
If you have good 12 V battery's just add the 3rd if your battery's are about used up get 2x 6v and series them.

sorry for the jack now back to microwaves

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
If u are trying to cook food y not use a grill. I sure don't like to eat food that is microwaved. I camp in my trailer and we grill everything. I have a electric grill that works great. Gas grills don't work very well for me cause it's seems to be way to windy. A pizzaz will cook just about anything to.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Is the electric grill 12v or 120v ?

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles

I think solar is in a very early stage of development.

Thant being said not gonna add any more weight to the 14000 GVRW trailer with a curved roof wth a flat panel.

I read a lot of research for work and there are a couple major things coming down for solar IMHO.

1. Improved efficiency. With use of muti wavelengths receptors to capture different colors of light to improve efficiency PLUS using materials such as an algae found in ice to reflect more light into panels

2 IN a few years paint on solar panels ... paint it on windows as tint or on a wall. When it dries the polarity aligns and attach positive and negative leads and you got electricity.

In 2011 the best paint light-to-energy conversion efficiency reached was1 percent, well behind the usual 10 to 15 percent efficiency of commercial silicon solar cells. In 2014 paint was 20% and panels in the 30%. Today no one is talking publically about painted solar efficiency because the research is becoming product and all the Universities are taking big money to covert it from the laboratory to the local paint store.

But I have to add my discussion is like looking back and not buying a sled in 2017 because in 2017 a better model came out and today waiting for a new model from whoever because the new models will always get improved. I'm an old guy with a physics and law background and see lots of new technologies replacing todays technology.

Last edited:
J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Interesting stuff thanks guys. I agree the battery and solar tech is moving along quite quickly these days, but I'm not always a "latest and greatest" kinda guy. Other than sleds I'm usually happy enough being slightly behind the curve if it works well enough. Will be interesting to see how the battery tech trickles down to stuff like this still using a big lead acid lump.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Interesting stuff thanks guys. I agree the battery and solar tech is moving along quite quickly these days, but I'm not always a "latest and greatest" kinda guy. Other than sleds I'm usually happy enough being slightly behind the curve if it works well enough. Will be interesting to see how the battery tech trickles down to stuff like this still using a big lead acid lump.

Ya I "beta" tested a 2004 RMK 900 with a 166 track !

Batteries will quantum leap in the next few years thank to DR Goodenough at UNIV Texas and Toyota. "The researchers demonstrated that their new battery cells have at least three times as much energy density as today’s lithium-ion batteries. A battery cell’s energy density gives an electric vehicle its driving range, so a higher energy density means that a car can drive more miles between charges. The UT Austin battery formulation also allows for a greater number of charging and discharging cycles, which equates to longer-lasting batteries, as well as a faster rate of recharge (minutes rather than hours)."

In a 3-5 years same size as a lithium battery 3x more energy, lasts longer , charges faster and costs less !!!

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com
Your best bet is to use a propane stove and/or oven.

If you insist on a microwave, then your best bet is to use a 2000 to 3000 watt inverter generator.

Using an inverter to convert 12V dC to 120V AC is not cost effecdtive. YOu'll need at least 4 golf cart batteries ($500), a full sine wave inverter (1500 to 2000 watts) about $600, and a generator to recharge the batteries every day.

Solar is great but not cost effective. I have 600 watts of solar and 800 amp hours of battery in my RV camper-love it!

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com
Your best bet is to use a propane stove and/or oven.

If you insist on a microwave, then your best bet is to use a 2000 to 3000 watt inverter generator.

Using an inverter to convert 12V dC to 120V AC is not cost effecdtive. YOu'll need at least 4 golf cart batteries ($500), a full sine wave inverter (1500 to 2000 watts) about $600, and a generator to recharge the batteries every day.

Solar is great but not cost effective. I have 600 watts of solar and 800 amp hours of battery in my RV camper-love it!

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
Ya I "beta" tested a 2004 RMK 900 with a 166 track !

Batteries will quantum leap in the next few years thank to DR Goodenough at UNIV Texas and Toyota. "The researchers demonstrated that their new battery cells have at least three times as much energy density as today’s lithium-ion batteries. A battery cell’s energy density gives an electric vehicle its driving range, so a higher energy density means that a car can drive more miles between charges. The UT Austin battery formulation also allows for a greater number of charging and discharging cycles, which equates to longer-lasting batteries, as well as a faster rate of recharge (minutes rather than hours)."

In a 3-5 years same size as a lithium battery 3x more energy, lasts longer , charges faster and costs less !!!

i have heard this for the last 3 years already. my rv is so far behind and not looking for PV paint or 2k in new battery's and by the time it gets the price down i will be on to a 10 year newer rig.
your best bet is a gen or camp stove inside the trailer for your application.

Premium Features