• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

want lower rpm engagement in my 09 M8.....which spring is recommended?

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
the clutching on my 09 M8 snopro is 100% stock. i had it out in cooke city, mt a few weeks ago, and i hated the way the primary engages. i tested it several times and it will rev to 4300-4500 rpm before it will clamp the belt and start turning the track. i rode my buddies 05 skidoo 800 and i love how you can feather the throttle so the sled "creeps" along if you want it to. it seems as if it would make all of these things easier....

-loading and unloading
-getting out of a "stuck"
-pulling up to the gas pumps
-slow driving around town (like one would do in a cluttered area such as cooke city)
-backing up

i'd say i would like the engagement to be 2500-3000. i dont know if this is possible or not... i know there are dozens of springs out there. i am not 100% sure how to tell one spring from the next, or which brand to go with. what should i be looking for?

Thunder101

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
SLP has a 120-310 I just picked up and I thought it was smooth at 34-36ish.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
getting engaged

a good engagement on an 8 is several things.

1. the obvious is clean clutches
2. correct and error on the tight side belt deflection

3. the first easy jump on cat spring is: you want a shorter and equally stiff spring

cat gold is a good choice

cat red, although find specs and make sure you have the short stiff red

Polaris has one almost identical to the cat red

these will all give you a slow creeping 35-4000 engagement...............if you have a good belt, clean clutch's, correct belt deflection and an untwitchy thumb.

Like how they work, might have to drop a gram or two in weight to get top rpm back.

S

Ski-Laxn

Nov 26, 2007
Longmont, Co
My recommendation would be the arctic cat gold. I would also highly recommend you go with MDS weights and the polaris black spring. This is a great combination.

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
My recommendation would be the arctic cat gold. I would also highly recommend you go with MDS weights and the polaris black spring. This is a great combination.

i already have cutlers adjustable weights.

seems like the cat gold is a fairly popular choice....

waycooljr

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2010
Sidney, MT
That's what I installed in my 11' HCR was the MDS weights and the Polaris black spring. I am very impressed at how the engagement is at lower rpm's and smooth. very nice for tree riding in deep snow!!

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
how does the 100-340 polaris black compare to the gold cat or stock cat spring?

polaris - 100-340
yel/wht cat - 122-285 (stock)
gold cat - 75-275

alot of people are suggesting the gold cat. i cant see how this would help due to the lower first number. the second numbers are very similar.

going with the polaris black, the engagement number is about right in between the gold cat and yellow/white cat.....but the second number is significantly higher. what does this mean?

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
The first number is the amount of spring pressure it takes to engage the clutches. The centrifigul force of the clutch weights increases as the motor spins faster. The lower the number, the lower RPM the clutches engage.

The second number is the amount of force required to collapse the primary spring and let the primary shift out. It's called shift speed and the higher the second number of a spring, the more RPM it takes to over come the spring.

If you need more RPM to reach your shift speed target, you can go to a higher total force (the second spring tension number) spring or lighten your clutch weights. I like to use higher total force springs and throw as much clutch weight at the motor to make it work as hard as possible to pull the shift speed RPM. The heavier your clutch weights though, the less "revy" your sled feels but, it will pull harder if you can get it to reach your target shift speed. I have even used clutch spring shims to reach the shift speed. In Yamaha clutches you can use up to three shims to adjust your enagement or total force specifications a bit.

Unfortunately, there is no real set standard for measuring spring tensions. So, it's often difficult to compare spring rates. Polaris springs are shorter and thus act like lower tension springs in an Arctic Cat application.

Last edited:

hd4rob

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2010
Lake Park, MN
Racinstation right the speedwerx white works great in the 09s plus they are alloy, shouldn't wear out.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
on my 09 i had the "hump" ground down on the stock weights. now it engages smooth as a skidoo. look at the stock weights and u will see where the rollers set at idle, there is a small hump the rollers must go over to reach belt engagement. that is what causes the harsh sudden engagement.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I didn't read the thread but, do your weights swing free. You can over tighten the bolts that hold the weights and cause high engagement. So take the spring out and see if they swing easy. I have heard of people sanding down the o-rings or using lock nuts, or back up nuts to hold them in place. They all work.

Premium Features