• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MCX or Impulse?

Z

Zipperno

Jan 9, 2008
Nordkjosbotn, Norway
What does the stock ECU control at idle , are you saying that it controls the fuel at idle !.

The Impluse kit controls the fuel supply at Idle. The injectors are in no way attached to the stock throttle body harness or the ECU harness. All fuel is controlled via the standalone fuel control box. If there was a draw back in any way on the standalone fuel box that would be it. If the box were to go down you would have to pull the intercooler and plug in the stock injector wires to the larger 750 cc injectors. It would run but not very well on the stock ECU fuel map. It may get you off the mountain though. So there's a word of caution to those running the standalone, don't cut off the stock injector plugs to clean it up in there, just leave em hanging and put some dielectric grease in em.

Fueling at idle is controlled by the Impulse ecu, as Motleone says.

But the idle control valve/solenoid is controlled by the stock ecu.

T

twsandrew

Nov 26, 2007
Take what Travis (Skibumm and double it)

Throttle response on the Impulse kits is unmatched IMO

The first day I met Paul he spent over an hour helping me work on my Nytro that was built by a competitor of his. It was a bluebird pow day and he was helping me with a sled built by a competitor.

I
Sep 16, 2010
Honestly, This year I am completely new to the turbo game, and i bought the 08 custom impulse nytro off the classifieds on this site a few months ago. Since buying the sled, we had some issues from the previous owners setup, and hose routings, gas lines, electrical, just minor stuff, nothing to do with the impulse kit itself. Paul has HANDS DOWN given me the best service i had ever had from any company. When you phone Paul for issues, he talks to you like a friend, like he has all the time in the world to resolve the issue, and as i said, all issues were so minor, but to someone who does not know, well how the hell you going to know what to do. But I know this for sure, STRAY***** ran 18-22 pounds for 2 full seasons with the 2871 race kit and standalone, the sled now has many, many km, and he has had no problems what so ever. Pinned all day and that is outside of Pauls recommended 17 psi on pump fuel!!. Myself now with a turbo, i feel confident in my sled, and most important, confidence my turbo kit. My sled has 1800 km, and has had the 2860 kit, with standalone in it and has ran great for the last guy, i am hoping to get the same.

The way Paul runs impulse is definitely a way that I look up to as a business owner and sets a benchmark for the way to treat customers, not just with a quality product, but the service to back it up. Impulse hands down. :face-icon-small-coo

Just my 4 cents.

Polarisrocks

Lifetime Membership
Sep 22, 2002
Eastern Wa
You thats funny... I called paul a few years for some help with a sled problem and he was kind of cocky because I didnt have his kit and didnt even want to waste his time with me. In fact he shot me down and flat out insulted me!! I keep hearing he is soo great.... not what i got from him.

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
You thats funny... I called paul a few years for some help with a sled problem and he was kind of cocky because I didnt have his kit and didnt even want to waste his time with me. In fact he shot me down and flat out insulted me!! I keep hearing he is soo great.... not what i got from him.

Not to bash or insult but why would you call the manufacturer of a different turbo company when you have another? It's like calling Ford for an issue you have with Chevy... I don't feel like he was out of line but I wasn't on the phone with him.

Motleyone

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Pullman,WA
Hey Polarisrocks,

I can answer any questions you may have about the Impulse Kit. In fact come out to my place and check it out in person. I'm doing a race kit install right now. Give me a shout at 208-310-6132.

Kevin

K

Keithcat

Nov 27, 2007
I looked at both kits several times before making that final decision myself. What sealed the deal for me was writing both Paul at Impulse and Mark at Montana Yamaha. Mark quickly wrote me back and also took the time on the phone to answer my questions. Still as of today a week later Paul never wrote me back. I could have gone a step further and placed a phone call to Paul or write a second note. But Mark was so polite and quick to answer questions I ended up buying the MCX kit.

G

GRINreeper

Jan 5, 2010
Kelowna B.C.
I looked at both kits several times before making that final decision myself. What sealed the deal for me was writing both Paul at Impulse and Mark at Montana Yamaha. Mark quickly wrote me back and also took the time on the phone to answer my questions. Still as of today a week later Paul never wrote me back. I could have gone a step further and placed a phone call to Paul or write a second note. But Mark was so polite and quick to answer questions I ended up buying the MCX kit.

sounds unlike paul. has always taken the time for me, and most everyone else he deals with.

P

prowlerk

Dec 3, 2007
Okotoks

????????????? Not even sure on how to reply to this. Does Mark at Montana Yamaha install Impulse kits? I'm sure if you were to call a dealer that did Impulse systems you would get the same rapid response and questions answered.

Z

Zipperno

Jan 9, 2008
Nordkjosbotn, Norway

sounds unlike paul. has always taken the time for me, and most everyone else he deals with.

Im stunned! Paul has always taken care of me even though Im on the other side of the Atlantic.

He can be busy and hard to get hold of when he is developing and testing new stuff. And right now he has his hands full with the Apex and the new v2 ecu.

This is the problem when you basically has a one man show, hope he can manage to keep every aspect of the business top notch!

K

Keithcat

Nov 27, 2007
????????????? Not even sure on how to reply to this. Does Mark at Montana Yamaha install Impulse kits? I'm sure if you were to call a dealer that did Impulse systems you would get the same rapid response and questions answered.

Prowlerk,

To the best of my knowledge Mark only sells and installs MCX.

I was 50/50 on the MCX 240 kit VS Pauls impulse kit. I read just about every post I could find with information about the kits, the owners, what each persons riding style was. In the end, its was still a toss up. Pauls kit was about a grand more with the seat, but included the tank and same unique features. It also had the air intake in my opnion, in a better location. After that I started asking myself what it was that I wanted from the kit. What my riding style was and who I was going to be riding with. Knowing that I was boondock rider and not insane hill climber. I felt the kit with the most power was not that important. I have read quite a few times of guys saying that the higher HP Nytros can be a handfull in the trees. Almost insane as a few guys have pointed out!:face-icon-small-hap So I sent both Paul and Mark email about their kits asking unique questions about both. Within hours Mark had sent back a reply and answered just about everything. So we exchanged a few more emails and then I called for more information, price, shipping, warranty ect... It just felt right. I dont know what to say. Im shocked to say that I ended up buying the 180 kit over the 240 kit. It just felt like it was the best combo of HP for my style of riding. I dont feel for a moment that I would have been unhappy with Pauls kit. Nor am I in any way upset that Paul did not have the chance to write me back. Its just the way things played out.

Dont even think for a moment this was a put down on Paul. No way. Its just the way things turned out. For better of worse I will be riding a MCX sled this year.

xtrememotorworks

Powersports Performance!
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sumner,Wa
www.xmrinc.com
The amount of time Paul puts into these kits is unreal and to still be able to talk to the customers is pretty cool.He really is a one man show and I'm amazed at what he gets done. Your best is to try to contact us dealers first and if there is anything we cant answer then try to hit him up or we can call him a hundred times and bug him for ya:)

A

acutah

Nov 27, 2007
Kaysville, UT
Prowlerk,

So I sent both Paul and Mark email about their kits asking unique questions about both. Within hours Mark had sent back a reply and answered just about everything.

I am in the market for some boost as well. I was debating between MPI and Impulse. To me it simply came down to wanting to try something new. Love my SC. I also sent Paul an email with a few questions. Same result...no answer. I just called him and he talked to me for a half hour like I was his only customer. Great guy. I have had 2 different conversations with him and he was the same way both times. Lets face it some people are not email people. Maybe he is one, but I tell you what, he was very accommodating on the phone. I would give him a call. I'm sure the MCX is a excellent kit. I just think I would be bothered by the intake location.

Motleyone

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Pullman,WA
The offer I made before goes out to anyone. If you have questions about Imuplse install or products give me a call at 208-310-6132. Paul is an extremely busy guy. He runs his own company plus he is Impulse Turbo. I can tell you everytime I talk to Paul he is always eager to answer questions and let me know the latest and greatest thing he is developing. I can only imagine what his cell phone bill looks like every month.

R
Aug 30, 2008
Last year I rode with both MCX Nitro's and Impulse. Both were very consistent, and ran very well......Until I saw Zebs Impulse Apex. That thing was the most unreal sled I have ever seen run. I bet in Fairview, where I saw it run, that sled would hit 120+ MPH, especially after he hit the nitrous button. It would just pull away from the 1200 cats. I had the chance to talk to Paul about Impulse Turbo's. I thought Paul was a very good honest, down to earth person. Very very humble IMHO. He answered a lot of my really dumb questions, and was very willing to help me get into a 4 stroke set up that would run well and come close to keeping up with Zebs sled.

I don't know much about the MCX dealer, but I know that all MCX sleds were very reliable. However, I have NEVER seen one run like Zebs apex. That thing was FAST, and it ran very good. The most crazy thing I saw at Fairview was seeing flames come out the exhaust and catch Zebs Klim Snow gear on fire. I figured anything that was that fast and would blow flames, would influence me to put my money on a Impulse kit. I am Sold. Now just gotta get the funds too purchase one...

←snow∞motion→

Lifetime Membership
Jan 18, 2010
WY
I was in the same boat as Keithcat. I researched and researched and was torn between the two kits. Each had things I really liked about them but they also had things that I didn't.

I'm currently in Korea so phone conversation is nearly impossible, so I'm forced to use e-mail. I had the same issue happen between Paul and Mark. I'm sure Paul is a very nice guy, but ultimately Mark is the one that responded to me.

In the end I decided on the MCX kit. Ironically of all the options that each kit came with the ONE big thing that sold me on the MCX was the fact it had a silencer on it. I might be getting old I guess, but I'm surprised that more kits don't offer this option instead of simply dumping into the tunnel. Everyone says "It's not that loud when your in deep" but what about all the other times.

I have to give Mark props, he is a super nice guy and always answers all the questions I have, and really seems like he wants to help everyone he possibly can to get that "whistle".

J

jsandgren10

Jan 17, 2008
Northern California
Paul can be a bit hard to get ahold of through email, but always answers his phone or will get back to you that day if you leave a message. It is sort of hard to compare Mark vs Paul for a MCX vs. Impulse kit since you are talking to a dealer vs. Paul being the maker of Impulse, R&D, Fabricating, and answering questions.

I know MCX makes a great kit, I just like the throttle response the impulse kit has and the few extra bells and whistles he supplies.

G

GRINreeper

Jan 5, 2010
Kelowna B.C.
Im not going to stay in trump tower because donald trump didn't get back to my email. lol phone one of his many people :face-icon-small-hap

just pokin fun, either kit is great, I chose Impulse for many reasons, and I still would have bought it even if paul wouldn't get back to me. Impulse is the best kit IMO.

X
Nov 20, 2009
Bend, OR
Getting back to the topic. Does anyone have issues with the intercooler or throttle bodies popping out on either kit? I know that there were issues with this on the apex's but do not know about the nytro.

Premium Features