• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cutting CF wrapped bars?

CROW

Lifetime Membership
Jul 25, 2002
Michigan
I'm going to run a set of FLY carbon fiber wrapped bars this year, but I plan on cutting the hooked ends off to run the Pro-Taper hooks. What is the best way to cut these down?

I see a lot of people cutting their bars to a narrower width, what seems to be the magic number?

C

CDK

Sep 5, 2011
I always wrap in electrical tape, then cut carefully with a sharp fine tooth hack saw. Did lots this way, just take your time and make sure to cut square.

I don't think there's really any magic number for width, just be sure you still have room to mount everything after you narrow. On one sled, we temporarily mounted the throttle and brake a ways in, then went for a quick ride to find the most comfortable width before we cut them.

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
Carbon is harder to cut than aluminum and due to the way it is composed (a bunch of strands of material bonded together) I'd be worried with a hack saw you would hook one of these strands and instead of cutting it'd be pulled potentially goofing up the wrap. I'd recommend a using a rotary tool with a cut off wheel and then sand it smooth to finish

C

CDK

Sep 5, 2011
Carbon is harder to cut than aluminum and due to the way it is composed (a bunch of strands of material bonded together) I'd be worried with a hack saw you would hook one of these strands and instead of cutting it'd be pulled potentially goofing up the wrap. I'd recommend a using a rotary tool with a cut off wheel and then sand it smooth to finish

I agree, rotary cut off wheel is the way to go, if you have one at hand. However, a sharp hack saw will do the job with no issues if you take your time. Taping the ends is key to protecting the bars, no matter how you cut it. A point to remember, your cuts are covered by the grips and bar hooks, so any small mistakes are hidden.

Either way will work!

M

mt.aero

Nov 14, 2011
Steamboat
I work at a bike shop and cut carbon and aluminum bars all the time and we only use a hacksaw. Just make sure its a nice sharp blade. Carbon is way easier to cut than aluminum, not the other way around. Aluminum should be lubricated with oil and carbon with water. If both, use water. Don't cut them dry. After cutting, use a file on aluminum to clean it up and sand paper on carbon. If you have a good local bike shop, stop in and ask to borrow their cutting guide. It makes the process a million times easier.

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
Good catch, I didn't mean to say that the actual material was harder, just that it's maybe not as straightforward as cutting aluminum

Premium Features