• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

aluminum sled deck pressure treated plywood replacement

S
Mar 17, 2002
ive just put new treated plywood on my aluminum
snowmobile deck ive now heard that the plywood
eats away aluminum is this true? + can the plywood leach
out chemicals and ruin the paint on the truck. thanks

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Not sure about aluminum but I do know the new type of chemical used in pressure treated lumber (replaces the old CCA stuff) is more corrosive than the old when it comes to fasteners.

H
Jan 7, 2008
The new ACQ treatment used for treating pressure treated lumber and plywood will destroy aluminum very quickly. In particular the cases of acq products corroding aluminum are enhanced by wet conditions and cases where the aluminum is unpainted. Get it off, and do it soon. My building supply business has been dealing with this for three years now and have seen screw failures on decks , and treated fences. The new ACQ treatment will eat steel bands on a lift of lumber (if wet) in 3 months.

S
Mar 17, 2002
treated plywood on aluminum

on the plywood i bought there is a tag on it ,
just saw it today, and it says do not put treated
lumber in direct contact with aluminum and i phoned ski hi
decks and asked if treated plywood would corrode my
aluminum deck and he said yes thats why we dont use it.
said to use regular plywood with 2 coats of marine black paint

C
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Man pressure treated plywood ain't cheap, I was going to buy it for my sled deck but way to pricy! I think it would depend on how you paint it, if you used say bed liner coating on 100% of the plywood I couldn't see it doing anything?

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
i had torx lag screws ate clean off in 2 years, they were coated but not with the special coating made for the new treated wood.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Just put regular plywood and treat it with linseed oil. Wait a week and coat it with polymer used for fiberglass. Sprinkle unwashed sand on it before it dries for nonslip surface. Will last a long time. 4 seasons and still going.

M

motomikey

Aug 5, 2001
spirit lake, idaho
www.sledecks.com
this info direct from coos head forest products/durawood treatment company as of 8:00 this morning--"absolutely NO problems putting cca treated plywood againt aluminum--only problem with corrosion are on bare steel--i.e bare nails or BANDING"
i've personally been putting this on my sleddecks for the last 4 years at 300 plus decks a year and ZERO problems
any questions call randy at treatement facility at 1-800-382-3388:mad:

S

srosscojw

Nov 26, 2007
Kelowna BC
www.signcraft.ca
Check out Full lotus mfg, decks on line, They use a special composite material that does not warp bent discolor or wear. I saw a 2 year old deck today and it looks nearly new. Their decks are awsome too.

M
Sep 21, 2002
Edmonton
I have it on mine, and no problems yet... 4th year too.

Pressure treated products are designed for below grade applications to resist mildew and rot. Your deck dries completely and should not need anything to prevent these symptoms.
I would stick to a good quality fir plywood, it is more stable than the treated spruce, has less splinters, and will withstand more abuse.

Resorcinol adhesives are waterproof, and should never fail. It is the outer veneer itself that will. Fir has an extremely high resistency to decay, and is pretty tough. Try pulling a coated nail out of fir, and you will know what I mean.

Premium Features