• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

*** Loud, Stiff, Front Ramp Hinges ***

L
Mar 13, 2004
Lake Cle Elum, WA
I have a SledBed Trailer I bought new about 8 yrs ago. Over time, the hinges for the front ramps have become very stiff and noisy. As everything is welded on, there is no way to take them apart and lube the shaft.

It's so bad, people in the snow park come running over and ask what's wrong with the engine in my sled. It sounds like a haunted house when I lower my ramps.

Any suggestions????

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
My first move would be to spray the heck out of it with WD-40 just to get things to quiet down and loosen up, then smear some grease on the cracks of the hinge with your finger (or something) to try to work it in over time...

I don't have a lot of experience with an enclosed in general, but it should work I would think.

just my $.02

whitefish

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kent WA
Drill them out and install a zirk. Load them with grease. Will need to use a tap if the trailer is steel.

whitefish

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kent WA
You might need to take a second drill bit of the same size and grind the taper off to flat. Use that one after the regular bit and it should give enough meat. Otherwise you may be able to tack weld a nut over the hole to thread into. I think McLendons and Tacoma Screw have aluminum nuts.

the fix-it guy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
cottonwood,mn
heating the hinges will help draw lubricant into them, this can be tricky if they are aluminum. I have welded nuts onto tubes before to hold zerks for greasing.

K
Nov 29, 2007
Colorado
I have been working on the front ramps on my open sled-bed for the past couple of days. A lot of penetrating oil, cheater bar on the wrench, mapp gas, sledge. I have three of the four bolts out. I put as much anti-seize on the new bolts as I possibly could.

If you have this trailer and can still get the bolts out easily, I would take them out while you can and put as much lube as possible on them. I have never installed zerks, but it may be time to learn!

rusty hinges

My 03 interstate enclosed had the same problem with zuirks installed and greased yearly. Inherently impossible to avoid with the salt and sand getting thrown onto them constantly. Mine became so bad that the hinge had so much resistance against the heavy door that it broke the welds on the hinge! Purchased a new hinge 9.00 and simply ground the welds of the old hinge and welded it on, and painted with black rustoleum. took less than 15 minutes! Good to Go!

Premium Features