• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cold Air Intake

zachman33

Lifetime Membership
Feb 19, 2011
Washington
So I am trying to decide which cold air intake to buy for my 2009 m8 with slp pipe kit. I would like to hear some opinions and some suggestions please. Thanks everyone!

A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota
I think any intake other than the slp intake requires the use of a fuel controller with the slp pipe set up. So be sure to figure the price of a fuel controller in with your price of intake.

MT Backcountry

Lifetime Membership
Aug 29, 2008
Montana
BDx

I run a Black Diamond air intake with my 2007 M1000 , helped clean up the botom end bog, rich issue they have on the lowend of the 1000's. They have the kit to where you have todrill out the nose cone for more air intake, lot of work but worth it all the same.
:face-icon-small-win

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I think any intake other than the slp intake requires the use of a fuel controller with the slp pipe set up. So be sure to figure the price of a fuel controller in with your price of intake.

Please explain?

I've heard from a bunch of people running a few different setups & aside from one guy on here I've never heard anyone say that.

A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota
Please explain?

I've heard from a bunch of people running a few different setups & aside from one guy on here I've never heard anyone say that.

BCIL I think it is right in the slp instructions if I remember correctly. I have no real life experience with the slp combo with a different intake, just relaying from what I read on the slp instructions. Could be a scheme just to sell their intake :face-icon-small-ton

Arctic Cat M-8 EFI with SLP Single Pipe Set
Fuel Requirement:​
This pipe is compatible with the stock ECU on 2007-09
models. It is also compatible with the stock ECU when used in combination
with SLP High Flow™ Intake Kit (part #14-305) and V-Force 3 Reed Valves
(part #22-103). Other modifications including but not limited to: head modifications,
increased timing, cylinder porting or intake modifications other than
the SLP High Flow™ Intake Kit in addition to the pipe may require the use of
an EFI control box.

Fuel Requirement: Minimum 91 octane pump fuel.

M
Apr 15, 2008
Brigham City
I put the slp pipe on last year and was really impressed with the performace on my 07 M8, this year I added the v-force reeds and slp air kit and again found my self saying WOW, I to thought it was just a way to get you to buy thier stuff, but I'm convinced and have installed it on two other friends sleds after they tried to keep up with mine, only mods done and would recommend the setup.

A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota
I put the slp pipe on last year and was really impressed with the performace on my 07 M8, this year I added the v-force reeds and slp air kit and again found my self saying WOW, I to thought it was just a way to get you to buy thier stuff, but I'm convinced and have installed it on two other friends sleds after they tried to keep up with mine, only mods done and would recommend the setup.

Me and BCIL were mainly talking about having to use a fuel controller for any other intake other than SLP. Not whether or not the slp intake works with their pipes.

Last edited:

MT Backcountry

Lifetime Membership
Aug 29, 2008
Montana
Maybe on an 800, but I think all need fuel controllers. I installed a y pipe and reeds and didnt need a controller, but as soon a i added the pipe and intake I ent with a Attitude box.

zachman33

Lifetime Membership
Feb 19, 2011
Washington
So all you guys are saying that no matter what air intake I buy I will need a fuel controller? Which air intake pulls all the stuff out of the hood?

Jan 28, 2010
Maple Grove,MN
The BDX, Timbersled and Cutler intakes all remove the stock intake parts from the hood. I have a Timbersled that is setup similar to the BDX. In the instructions it says that you can run the intake without reprogramming the ecu but of course you do so at your own risk.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Just add the SLP intake. It's easy to do and retains the stock air plenum so your sled won't be chocked for air in the deep, deep stuff. I have one on my 09 with the SLP pipe and I am happy. Also, they are cheap. check E bay.

B
Nov 27, 2007
Rovaniemi, Finland
Just remove the under hood parts of stock intake and get some mesh cone over the stock horn. KEEP the stock nose piece and the horn! This way you save some weight, get more air to engine and get more holes to release heat under hood. Plus it sounds just like stock.

zachman33

Lifetime Membership
Feb 19, 2011
Washington
Just add the SLP intake. It's easy to do and retains the stock air plenum so your sled won't be chocked for air in the deep, deep stuff. I have one on my 09 with the SLP pipe and I am happy. Also, they are cheap. check E bay.

So Frostbite I can get an SLP intake for cheap and it takes all the weight out of the hood?

boone

Premium Member
May 27, 2007
Crazytown!!
So Frostbite I can get an SLP intake for cheap and it takes all the weight out of the hood?

Yes they are cheap, but no, you will not loose any weight. The SLP kit they are talking about is an add on to the stock intake system. Check it out here...

http://www.slp.cc/catalog.cfm?pageID=detail&catalogID=2&catID=6&productID=980

What all mods do you currently have and at what elevation do you ride? Are you running any guages to monitor EGT and/or AFR? Checking plugs and wash? These all factor in. All sleds are different and if yours is already on the edge and you do put an intake of some sort on, without knowing whats actually going on inside, it will more than likely end up with you parting with some cash at the parts counter..

Boone

zachman33

Lifetime Membership
Feb 19, 2011
Washington
Yes they are cheap, but no, you will not loose any weight. The SLP kit they are talking about is an add on to the stock intake system. Check it out here...

http://www.slp.cc/catalog.cfm?pageID=detail&catalogID=2&catID=6&productID=980

What all mods do you currently have and at what elevation do you ride? Are you running any guages to monitor EGT and/or AFR? Checking plugs and wash? These all factor in. All sleds are different and if yours is already on the edge and you do put an intake of some sort on, without knowing whats actually going on inside, it will more than likely end up with you parting with some cash at the parts counter..

Boone

Thank you Boone I appreciate it, an no gauges of any sort, just slp pipe set up and MDS clutching.

05M7

Jan 2, 2008
The first year i bought my M8 i ran a full Speedwerx Pipe with a Snopro intake without a fuel controller at high elevation. snopro intake is much cheaper than the others and if you have good relations with your dealer they can get it for you even cheaper.

zachman33

Lifetime Membership
Feb 19, 2011
Washington
The first year i bought my M8 i ran a full Speedwerx Pipe with a Snopro intake without a fuel controller at high elevation. snopro intake is much cheaper than the others and if you have good relations with your dealer they can get it for you even cheaper.

Ok so what does the snopro intake look like?

G

glaciermonkey

Dec 6, 2007
skidro willey, wa
i also have a 09 m8 with slp y, pipe, can and intake. ride from 3 to 7k. the slp intake cured the bog from snow covered intake screens but i don't like sucking hot air. i've got really good at the one hand powder carve while doing a quick snow swipe over both intakes.

my sled also started to show sign of running lean after installing the slp intake.

my experience is that the aftermarket intakes that remove the stock nose piece loose power and are way louder, i think that some people think louder is more power
i just bought a pcv controller because i was running lean but i also have oil delete which made my sled run even more lean.

05M7

Jan 2, 2008
Thats the snopro intake. At your dealer they have to look up a 2006 modified 600 race sled

m8010-2.jpg

Premium Features