• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mpi pulley

B
Mar 13, 2009
Libby Montana
Just wondering if anyone else has destroyed an MPI pulley like I did? Wondering what the cost of a new one is. Its killing me having to wait till monday to find out. Its from a stage 1 kit and its the pulley off the crank.

snocattin

Premium Member
Nov 28, 2007
NW Montana
I recently bought a top pulley for 80 bones.
The bottom is probably a little more than that.

Did the TaperLok come loose..??

It is imperative that you install the pulleys per MPI's instructions using Tempilstik chalk and proper heat.

B
Mar 13, 2009
Libby Montana
Yes the taperlock came loose letting the pulley spin on it, thus really egging out the inside of the pulley. I had removed the pulley previously to fix a seal and failed to install it properly. I read the install instructions yesterday after I brought the sick sled home. I will definitely be putting it on right this time!:eek:

andre162

Premium Member
Jan 8, 2008
northern california
did it damage the output shaft? make sure you take a good look at it before you put the new pully on. I had the same problem last year and once i followed the directions from MPI the problem seems to be solved.

B
Mar 13, 2009
Libby Montana
I'm pretty sure the shaft is allright. I haven't looked it over very well yet. Been a little upset about it anyway. Ordered my new pulley today ($107 plus some shipping) I'll get her running again Friday. then hittin' the snow on saturday!! :D

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
HEEEEEAAATTTTT. When installing the pully heat the taperlock and then install to the proper position (so it is aligned with the other pully), then heat it again and put the set bolts into place using red loctite.

I have found that this works every time. Always check the 1/8" bolts at 10 miles, 20 miles, 30 miles, 50 miles and 100 miles. They should be seated well by then. Using heat they should not spin after initial setup and be friends with the shaft from then on out.

PM me if you have any questions, and MTN PERF has always been really good for support. Talk to Darrell if you can, very sharp guy. Heath is always willing to help as well and can be reached on here most of the time.

B
Mar 13, 2009
Libby Montana
Well I will be putting the new pulley on Friday and you can bet I will be calling mpi right before hand. I've talked to Darrel before... poor guy seems very busy. I plan on taking a paint marker and marking shaft to taperlock, taperlock to pulley, and setscrews to pulley. that will allow me to be positive that everything is staying put. Thanks for all the advice guys.

Premium Features