• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Edge 800 Project

D
Sep 14, 2006
On the toilet
It is actually a EVO 3 with an external waste gate for proper exhaust flow and it is only oil cooled so i am going to put some fins on my oil tank! I am going to build a custom belly pan and mesh hood. I need to change my steering column braces because they are into my legs to much when I am standing up but that will not be a big deal, and the turbo is a journal bearing, i am going to use that pump you suggested and see how it does! I am getting close, I need two solid days to finish this dude up!!:D

You are probably going to need to do more than that or use a better pump. Just trail riding it was very hot and my oil pressure was down to about 17psi with 10/30 oil within a couple miles. Cold it was 50psi. My turbo was squeeling a couple times and we don't even have enough snow to really get off trail. The temp was 10 degrees with a 20mph wind too. My oil capacity is just at 1 qt.

E
Jan 25, 2009
Erie Colorado
10w30

Not a great oil for turbo's! try synthetic diesel oil like 15W40 or 5W50 and i am building my tank tonight! I am actually going to put a coil in the tank with a shut off valve for coolant to keep the black gold cool!

B

Benstuck

Feb 2, 2008
coolers

You should consider moving your front cooler and making more room for the snow to excape. It's like a big bottleneck that will rob track speed. With your fab skills you could probably use the same cooler just move it to the back of the tunnel. More room in the front is better.

E
Jan 25, 2009
Erie Colorado
Room

With those 7 tooth drivers there is plenty of room now, but I still might try that next summer! I am just trying to get this thing back on the snow before Xmas!!!!!

E
Jan 25, 2009
Erie Colorado

316 Stainless .049 seamless on the tunnel and 316 .065 for the shaft with a bearing on the top and the bottom mount. I did make the top 6 inches solid for more strength. After i put the bar on last night i pulled on that thing from the side and man o man did it just tip over!! It should be fun in the deep stuff! MORE TO COME

D
Sep 14, 2006
On the toilet
Not a great oil for turbo's! try synthetic diesel oil like 15W40 or 5W50 and i am building my tank tonight! I am actually going to put a coil in the tank with a shut off valve for coolant to keep the black gold cool!

Yea, if you can do something to keep the oil cooled down a bit it should be fine. Another turbo guy suggested the 10/30. I think with my cooling hooked up it will be fine. With thicker oil for sure.

Ulose, not much more room for a bigger tank at least on mine. It wouldn't do much good anyway. Its down so far in there right below all that heat. It would have to be over a gallon for it to have any cooling affect. It was heating up very very quick. Much quicker than I thought it would. Probably less than 20 seconds total on boost in about 5 minutes of riding and it was too hot to touch the tank. Water cooling my turbo and a bit thicker oil will work for mine.
Dave should be fine with a cooling coil.
My coolant temp was only 120-130.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
Most of my turbo buddies swear by 15-50 mobil 1 and there some pretty smart dudes. these are cars of course, maybe if your just feeding the turbo is different, i dont know.

D
Sep 14, 2006
On the toilet
My only worry with heavy oil like that is wasting the pump when its cold. Its already putting out 50psi with the 10/30 cold, and this little pump shurely isn't made for that. Would really like a better pump but haven't found one yet thats proven, until twister gets some at least.

Premium Features