• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Nytro starter failed?

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
On the last day of riding coming down the trail turned sled off to let things cool down. Then went to start it and could hear the starter solenoid engage and the starter spinning but it was not turning the motor over. I can tell all 4 stroke owners this is not a good feeling. On a good not with the engine warm I was able to start the motor with the old rope trick on the primary. Had to pull pretty hard but it did fire back up.

Wondering if any others have had to problem and what they found.

Pretty sure I have to loosen the rear motor mounts to get to the dam starter its not in a very handy spot to work with.

8400km, on the sled so I am not shocked that it failed. 270 mcx, 0/40w amsoil build for those that will ask. The annoying part was no notice. It was not not dragging, turning slowly, any of the usual indicators that it was about to fail. If it had failed when the motor was cold at altitude I am not sure what I would have done.

Lets hear your experiences with this gremlin.

M
Jan 14, 2004
We've gone through a few relays over the years but I haven't seen a starter only failure. That said we have fried a few starters but it was always because either the relay stuck on or the key stayed in the start position both which result in the starter staying engaged and then frying. The relays go bad pretty regularly, I actually pack a spare with me.

M5

o2bncamo

Lifetime Membership
Nov 7, 2009
wisconsin
I had one of the magnets come loose in the starter housing. At least it was first thing in the morning.

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
You can hear the starter spinning but the motor is not cranking over. Its like its not pushing the connecting gear into the the cranking gear (dont know the exact names). When you turn the key it sounds like a high speed drill. So the solenoid is working but the starter is not "engaging".

Thoughts?

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
When you get yours apart please let us know if it is the small gear that has teeth gone or destroyed. I would be tempted to pull the mag cover and look there first, easier to get to.

Pretty sure that is gear is called/part of the sprag clutch set up. I am thinking that is what has failed.

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
Tore things apart tonight. Starter is fine but the sprag clutch has had it. New one on order. Glad I didnt have to pull the motor. Had to fab up a tool to pull the mcx pump though, after that many miles things were on there pretty tight.

Premium Features