• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

basic clutching advise??

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
I have a '17 SKS, converted to TKI belt drive, slp pipe and can.
stock clutching 10-64 weights, and new springs. I have a CE 2.5" track.

with this clutching, sled just seems to rev and spin track until rpms get higher. then it feels like it really starts to get going.

i have been riding 7500-9200 ft elevation, new snow about 18-24" inches yesterday.
max rpm I have seen is about 8200.

any simple suggestions as to which way to go with the clutching?

I have a Carls kit sitting on the bench. 66gm belly busters and their single angle cut helix. This was their recommendation. Haven't ridden with it.

thanks

dktraw

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2009
Halfway OR
What is the single angle helix? They have been selling a double cut helix with 62-42 and 60-40.....just curious what they changed to

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
What is the single angle helix? They have been selling a double cut helix with 62-42 and 60-40.....just curious what they changed to

I was mistaken. Just looked at it again and it is the double cut one.

stupid question, how do you switch what angle is used?
and what does each angle do?

new at all this clutching stuff

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
I have never seen carls kit but when I hear a double cut helix I think you are talking about duel angel helix witch just means that it has a starting angle and a finish angle? and a hooked portion that is for reverse? just take off your 2edary flip it over smack the torques head screws with a ballpeen hammer (or you can heat them) and take them out. you can replace the helix that easy but if you need to put in a spring with it you need to buy a tool that compresses the spring and rollers down to get the spring clip off and then it will unthread {the tool will unthread} and gently let it come up and off. you will notice splines on the inside of the rollers cadge and on the shaft that it came off of, look close and you will see that their is a double tooth on each to assure it goes back together in the same manner it came off. make sure and line up upon assembly{it might take a couple of tries but when it all lines up it just slides on smooth} slide the snap ring in place and don't forget to use lock tight/thread locker on the torques head screws that hold the helix in place. its a very simple job and the tool is around 35$ or so if I remember right. you can get it on E-bay or at a local sled shop. hope that helps you kylant.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
I have never seen carls kit but when I hear a double cut helix I think you are talking about duel angel helix witch just means that it has a starting angle and a finish angle? and a hooked portion that is for reverse? just take off your 2edary flip it over smack the torques head screws with a ballpeen hammer (or you can heat them) and take them out. you can replace the helix that easy but if you need to put in a spring with it you need to buy a tool that compresses the spring and rollers down to get the spring clip off and then it will unthread {the tool will unthread} and gently let it come up and off. you will notice splines on the inside of the rollers cadge and on the shaft that it came off of, look close and you will see that their is a double tooth on each to assure it goes back together in the same manner it came off. make sure and line up upon assembly{it might take a couple of tries but when it all lines up it just slides on smooth} slide the snap ring in place and don't forget to use lock tight/thread locker on the torques head screws that hold the helix in place. its a very simple job and the tool is around 35$ or so if I remember right. you can get it on E-bay or at a local sled shop. hope that helps you kylant.

thanks, I appreciate the info. I know how to replace the springs and helix. I do have the tool and have done it several times.

On the Carl's helix, there are 4 cuts in it, 2 of them are marked with different angle numbers. 62-42 and 60-40. I talked to them yesterday. they said to choose the different angles, line up that specific number/cut with the rollers.
They said the 62-42 was the standard cut and 60-40 would add about 150 rpm. This was based on running slp pipe and can for elevation 7500-9000 ft :confused:

R

Reddragon800

Feb 26, 2013
I personally think those angles are way too high. At that elevation the 800 only makes 120 hp. First off get rid of that polaris belt. It is so hard that you HAVE to run heavy springs or it will slip. Run the Carlisle 809. Then go to 64 gram EPI belly buster weights with a black/ silver primary spring. As for a helix, you should run a 54-36.36 with a red/green secondary spring. This is what i run and has been the best track speed that i have seen, plus your clutches with not get hot like they used to and the 809 belt will last over 1000 miles. Just my 2 cents.

S
Feb 4, 2018

Maybe it's due to the effects of Friday nite happy hour, but, I'm cracking up after reading this. I too, am interested in the basics of clutching, and my initial impression after reading is that this post must be in jest? Torex screws, ball peen hammers, spring compressors, double helixes and thread locker? All sounds like Johnson Rods and Flux capacitors to me. Guess I'll need to hire out for any clutch tuning.

Premium Features