• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

After Quick Drive Belt "Break In" are they as fragile

Cascade Addiction

Lifetime Membership
Sep 21, 2011
WA Cascades
We have all heard the reports, and seen the diagrams of what not to do with the drive belt. No bending, twisting, clamping, squeezing, squishing, basically handle with white cotton gloves as to not damage it. Does anyone know if this holds true after the belt is broke in?? Would it be worth breaking in two belts, so when/if it breaks and your deep into the backcountry you are not putting on a new belt that now has to be babied, if so you might not get out of where you are!! I'm not saying that after you break one in you can fold it in half, throw a zip tie on and shove in your handlebar bag, but at least squish or squeeze enough to fit in a pack or tunnel bag without having to keep it perfectly round or as it is coming from Polaris. Any thoughts from somebody in the know??

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
Very good question. IMO they should be delivered from Polaris already broke in. That say they aren't relying on the consumer to do it correctly.

Thunder

Y
Jan 4, 2009
These kind of belts are well proven tech. Just look at the drag race world they run
These to turn their super chargers they can take near a 1000hp in that application, I realize the belts are a bit bigger. I have no doubt they will handle a 140hp. On a side note how many chains have broke in the back country, pretty hard to fix. Just bring a spare poly belt what is easier than that.
I had a 235hp triple that had a 15wide chain that I had to service ever 5 rides.

N

nuggetau

Sep 26, 2009
Idaho
We have all heard the reports, and seen the diagrams of what not to do with the drive belt. No bending, twisting, clamping, squeezing, squishing, basically handle with white cotton gloves as to not damage it. Does anyone know if this holds true after the belt is broke in?? Would it be worth breaking in two belts, so when/if it breaks and your deep into the backcountry you are not putting on a new belt that now has to be babied, if so you might not get out of where you are!! I'm not saying that after you break one in you can fold it in half, throw a zip tie on and shove in your handlebar bag, but at least squish or squeeze enough to fit in a pack or tunnel bag without having to keep it perfectly round or as it is coming from Polaris. Any thoughts from somebody in the know??

Yes, even after breakin you still can't back bend, twist etc.

Premium Features