• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Which rev?

K
Cyle, I just remembered that a couple of weeks ago there was an 04 Rev 800 in the Swap Meet section. A guy from Westlock, my hometown:D, was selling it. I went through the swap meet today to try and find it and it's not there but wondering if you put out a post looking for him. If I remember right it was a 159" track and I think he was asking $4500 for it. Pictures looked good too. Cheers. Good luck :beer;

C
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Cyle, I just remembered that a couple of weeks ago there was an 04 Rev 800 in the Swap Meet section. A guy from Westlock, my hometown:D, was selling it. I went through the swap meet today to try and find it and it's not there but wondering if you put out a post looking for him. If I remember right it was a 159" track and I think he was asking $4500 for it. Pictures looked good too. Cheers. Good luck :beer;

That would be a perfect sled. I will have to see if I can find it. The less I pay for a sled the better.

My king cat had a 16" wide. Yes, my buddies 800 rev 144" couldn't stay with me on the king or even close, and he's a better rider, they are heavy but so much track and power. Honestly, I just want a sled like that again 162x16" track, and that kind of power, just in a lighter, more rider friendly sled.

In a way, I regret selling it. It was pretty funny that my 2 of my buddies had newer expensive sleds and couldn't go where I could, I mean a 07 m8 153, and a 07 rev 800 144", couldn't keep up with a 04 king cat, that is worth like half the money.

O I know it's going to cost me. Last year when my chain snapped it ended up costing me like $400....

M
Apr 26, 2009
Cambridge Idaho
If I were you, weighing 290 lbs, I'd look for a 1000. I myself have had all of the 800 doos, and I ride with the 1000's. After a full night of snowing, the 1000 can not quite keep up with the 800 first thing in the morning, but after about 5 hours of sun, watch out as the snow settles just enough the 1000 can start going again. They never really dominate the 800's, but the big guys sure have a lot more fun on them. I would never suggest anyone under 220 lbs even consider a 1000, but above 260 lbs they really do have their place.

As far as the '07, it is starting to get out that the ones properly warmed up and running mineral oil can survive. The people running synthetic oil, yes they are probably screwed. I have not heard of a mineral oil sled blowing after 2000 miles (3000 km). The mineral oil allows just enough bearing wear to relieve the clearance problem where as synthetic oil does not wear. And the '08 engine upgrade eliminates the question of crank reliability.

C
Nov 26, 2007
dankorage
7k for mine.

Honeslty though the 05 is a good sled. pull one plug wire off and it will still be better than a king cat!

you cant run much past 2000 miles with out a top end though. i know lots of buddies that tried...

the ring locator pin tends to dissapear around then, ring goes for a walk and snags a port = game over.
3200 on mine, only replaced the secondary, a front shock (excuse to switch to floats) and the running boards ran flat.. braces are a must for jumping it.

05 used to be an adrenaline, gonna rebuild after this season but it still runs like it alwasy did, except the clutching and gearing are better.

Cyle i came of an 883 mountain cat with some mods, weighed 460 dry without the timbersled skid, onto the rev and put that skid in it, only time i miss the cats power is ont he trail, anywhere else the rev excells

C
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, AB
O yea I really liked riding the rev last season. It was just mostly on trail, but the feel was so good.

I still can't decide between a 800 and 1000. I think a modded 800 with a bit more power would be perfect, as it's not to heavy I mean a 1000 is like what 90lbs more? I am pretty heavy myself, so less weight is a good thing LOL. I don't jump sleds at all, and haven't had a problem with running boards on any sleds, but I wouldn't mind stiffeners.

I really should just say F it and find a way to spend more and get exactly the sled I want, but it's really tough when i'm in debt a lot already :(

M
Sep 21, 2002
Edmonton
O yea I really liked riding the rev last season. It was just mostly on trail, but the feel was so good.

I still can't decide between a 800 and 1000. I think a modded 800 with a bit more power would be perfect, as it's not to heavy I mean a 1000 is like what 90lbs more? I am pretty heavy myself, so less weight is a good thing LOL. I don't jump sleds at all, and haven't had a problem with running boards on any sleds, but I wouldn't mind stiffeners.

I really should just say F it and find a way to spend more and get exactly the sled I want, but it's really tough when i'm in debt a lot already :(

When the 800 motor goes kaboom, 2 g-notes, when the 100 goes Kaboom... 5 g-notes.

M
Apr 26, 2009
Cambridge Idaho
I thought about it a little more. You said you wanted to get away from the King Cat because it was too heavy. I suspect the 1000 is every bit as heavy as the King Cat and will still wear you out. If you are on a budget and want a light sled, you are probably headed the right direction with a 2005 800. It is a good sled and will probably be $1000 cheaper than a 2006. A 2004 would be okay too, although the 2005 running boards are a little nicer when it comes to clearing the snow. I would strongly suggest you get the running board stiffners.

C
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Get a M1000. Way better than any Rev.

The king cat was my first and last arctic cat. 15" wide track is OLD technology. I would not even consider a newer sled that isn't a 16" wide track, even in a 162" you got like the same flotation as a 151"x16". There are numerous other reasons I hate arctic cat and will never buy another one, I absolutely hate the m series. I would buy another king cat long before a m series......

K
The king cat was my first and last arctic cat. 15" wide track is OLD technology. I would not even consider a newer sled that isn't a 16" wide track, even in a 162" you got like the same flotation as a 151"x16". There are numerous other reasons I hate arctic cat and will never buy another one, I absolutely hate the m series. I would buy another king cat long before a m series......

I almost bought the wife an M7. I know nothing about the Cats. Just out of interest, what don't you like about the M series? I have to admit that I love the "look" of the Cats. Other than that, the last Arctic Cat I was on was a 1979 Jag....which I took too high and almost burnt up:rolleyes: I'm still saying go with the 800. My 04 800 is stock except for a can. I don't usually race but last year 2 guys on brand new 09 Polaris's, if I remember right one was a 900 the other a 700, asked me to race. Racing is not my thing but I thought what the hell. I smoked the 700 and the stayed right beside the 900 the entire length of the lake. I only weigh 185 lbs but I also can't believe the places this sled has gotten me in the powder so easily. I'm totally impressed with it. I'd bet you'd be more than happy with the 800. With the season just around the corner there will be more coming up for sale real soon. Cheers.

C
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I almost bought the wife an M7. I know nothing about the Cats. Just out of interest, what don't you like about the M series? I have to admit that I love the "look" of the Cats. Other than that, the last Arctic Cat I was on was a 1979 Jag....which I took too high and almost burnt up:rolleyes: I'm still saying go with the 800. My 04 800 is stock except for a can. I don't usually race but last year 2 guys on brand new 09 Polaris's, if I remember right one was a 900 the other a 700, asked me to race. Racing is not my thing but I thought what the hell. I smoked the 700 and the stayed right beside the 900 the entire length of the lake. I only weigh 185 lbs but I also can't believe the places this sled has gotten me in the powder so easily. I'm totally impressed with it. I'd bet you'd be more than happy with the 800. With the season just around the corner there will be more coming up for sale real soon. Cheers.

Well I didn't mind the King Cat, it was just little things that made me not like it. But the M series, 15 wide track is the BIGGEST thing. You need a 162 to get the same surface area a 151x16 has. Just doesn't make sense. I also HATE how they are designed under the hood, really seem like a knightmare to work on. My buddy has a 07 m8 153, he likes it ok, but he's had electrical problems randomly pop up when riding.

The thing is, i've rode doo's most of the time, had great luck with them, rode a rev and REALLY liked it. I haven't been on a M series but even if I loved the way they rode I still wouldn't want one. People here are asking STUPID prices for them also.

I'm really in no rush, just scoping out all the sites like this one, kijiji etc for a good deal. Probably going to look for another 2 weeks or so before I commit to a sled because I want to get a steal of a deal (why not sleds ain't selling to well).

Found another possible candidate. 06 1000 162", factory crate motor with warranty to cover all this season. Decent price, and sure is tempting to not have to worry about the motor. I haven't ruled out a 1000 because I know you have to be able to get them setup good, I mean I was with someone last year who had one and it was a beast.

Another route i'm considering is a 144" or 151" and throw a 159" or 162" under it. Prices jump insanly when it has that track and I don't get it. $125 for rails, $125 for tunnel extension maybe $700 for a brand new track and one day and it's done? Maybe regear, but I mean that's not much more. Or is there more to it?

Last edited:
K
One more thought for you. Check out the bank repo sites. I've been hearing with the oil fields shut down that the repo business is going nuts in Alberta. One site, repo.com I think sells repos of all kinds out of Calgary. Probably a lot more coming up with so many guys out of work.

C
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, AB
One more thought for you. Check out the bank repo sites. I've been hearing with the oil fields shut down that the repo business is going nuts in Alberta. One site, repo.com I think sells repos of all kinds out of Calgary. Probably a lot more coming up with so many guys out of work.

Ah thanks man I forgot about that site. Seems to have some decent deals before :beer;

Yep it is nice to capitalize on people who can't manage their finances :D

Ill Named

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Having gone from a King Kat to a Rev, I find it very hard to believe that you would think that the rev is lighter than the KK. My KK was alot lighter than my Rev. I'm not trying to be pro AC here (I hated the fawkin thing) but if weight savings is what your after, then you're going to be dissapointed.

Tree Boss

Lifetime Membership
Jan 11, 2009
Franklin County ID
I bought an 07 summitx 800r 151 new and have had no motor problems with it and it's got over 2000 miles on it. The primary was worn and got rebuilt last year. The sled runs really good, now the wife rides it. Sounds like I better run mineral oil in it from a previous post, I did the first year I bought it but then ran full synthetic in 08 and then mix in 09.

Clutching has been an issue on the 07. When the sled sits at the bottom of a hill for 15 minutes, and you start it up and head up the hill it runs hard until it warms up, then drops rpms down to around 7500 to 7800. This may be a heat soak problem in the motor not sure though. Hope this helps a little.

C
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Having gone from a King Kat to a Rev, I find it very hard to believe that you would think that the rev is lighter than the KK. My KK was alot lighter than my Rev. I'm not trying to be pro AC here (I hated the fawkin thing) but if weight savings is what your after, then you're going to be dissapointed.

There is no way a King cat is lighter then a rev. My back, and the manufactures websites agree. I am not primarly after weight savings.

My big thing is, rider comfort, rider position and weight transfer. The king cat seemed to be tougher to lay over and "wide" while the rev seems to go over a lot easier.

Pretty sure I am set on a RT. There is a 04 800 159" for a steal that I might consider, but I think the RT will make me the happiest and for the price of them I cannot complain. I just don't think the power of a stock 800 will keep me happy.

C
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I bought an 07 summitx 800r 151 new and have had no motor problems with it and it's got over 2000 miles on it. The primary was worn and got rebuilt last year. The sled runs really good, now the wife rides it. Sounds like I better run mineral oil in it from a previous post, I did the first year I bought it but then ran full synthetic in 08 and then mix in 09.

Clutching has been an issue on the 07. When the sled sits at the bottom of a hill for 15 minutes, and you start it up and head up the hill it runs hard until it warms up, then drops rpms down to around 7500 to 7800. This may be a heat soak problem in the motor not sure though. Hope this helps a little.

Yea I don't think the 07's are quite as bad as people believe it to be. But any 07 159 is just so overpriced, not even looking at them anymore

J

joshua335

Nov 26, 2007
Calgary, AB
There is no way a King cat is lighter then a rev. My back, and the manufactures websites agree. I am not primarly after weight savings.

My big thing is, rider comfort, rider position and weight transfer. The king cat seemed to be tougher to lay over and "wide" while the rev seems to go over a lot easier.

Pretty sure I am set on a RT. There is a 04 800 159" for a steal that I might consider, but I think the RT will make me the happiest and for the price of them I cannot complain. I just don't think the power of a stock 800 will keep me happy.

Just so you know the 04 800 159" will be about the same weight as your kingcat... the newer the rev, the lighter they get.
I wouldn't get an RT unless you like working on them, especially an 05. I rode with one a couple times last year, and although they got balls he had to do some work on it EVERY TRIP. Good luck!

Premium Features