• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sled deck and 2 place flat trailer or keep 20' Burandt trailer (fits 3)

H
Feb 28, 2012
2010 Toyota Tundra Crewmax - pulling Burandt 20' enclosed trailer. I have 2 snowmobiles but will be buying 1 more. I am curious in the future if I should buy a 4th sled, will a 28' bumper pull burandt trailer is possible to be pulled with this truck?

I have also thought about selling the 20 footer and getting a sled deck and 2 place flat trailer with bug shield.

The 20 footer will fit 3 sleds but not 4. I know I will be doing 3 for sure next year 4 is out of

The heater, cabinets, clothes hanger, benches etc are fabulous. But, I just bought a house with 3 acres, a 1200 sq foot heated garage and have always thought that if I had a place to park my sleds on my property then I wouldn't need an enclosed trailer. I really don't know what to do, any thoughts are helpful.

The challenge with the home I bought is that it is in the mountains west of Boulder, super steep road, difficulty parking and driving thru mud after snow melt. I may be able to store it but not sure if I can park it. I do rent a spot for $40 month and that is where it is parked currently. Just not sure what the best bet is. I like the sled deck idea, day trips driving wherever you want with ease. If I want to rock 4 sleds I could get a 2 place flat trailer with salt shield and have no issue pulling it. I loose a place to change and hang clothes.

Do I lose $3500-4k selling it or just keep it?! hard decision
Damn this is tough...

fc8464

Lifetime Membership
Nov 18, 2010
Fairbanks, Alaska 99725
I had a 27ft enclosed v-nose for hauling our sleds (mine and 4 boys). As the boys got older and left I sold the enclosed and got a Boss sled deck for mine and the guy I ussally ride with. I regretted getting rid of it just because I didnt realize how much I used it in the summer going fishing in Valdez. As far as winter riding the sled deck is so much nicer and if we have more people going I have a two place avalable when I need it.Fred

H
Feb 28, 2012
Thanks fred

I doubt I would use the trailer in the summer honestly. Maybe to haul my wildcat but I doubt it. I have a flat trailer for that.

I would really just use it for snowmobiling. I am leaning towards selling it to a friend and getting a sled deck for my tundra. Then replace the utility 6x12 trailer and get a 8x12 snowmobile trailer for both my Wildcat and 3rd sled. I don't know seems like a deck is a great idea. I can say for sure that a sled deck will not fit while pulling my trails west trailer.

Why considering?

I bought the house and could buy a deck - put the money difference in the house I'm buying for renovations.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
You do realize that a sled deck and 2 sleds on a tundra will be WAY over its rated payload?
Likely the truck can handle it but there are legal issues too if you happen to get in a wreck. Just something to think about. Eric

fc8464

Lifetime Membership
Nov 18, 2010
Fairbanks, Alaska 99725
WEIGHTS

Curb weight 5,625 pounds

Tow rating 10,100 pounds

Gross vehicle weight rating 7,000-7,200 pounds

Gross combined weight rating 16,000 pounds

These where the specs I pulled up on this truck with the V-8. dont know if its the same with the V-6. but it would be close. In my case my Viper is 617# and my buddies pro is 515# pluss the sled deck 500 for the Boss leaves little room for gear and passengers if you want to be exactly at 7200#

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
did you run the numbers on this?

payload 7200
truck with no fuel 5625
-------

Sled deck 500
Sled 615
Sled 515
-----

Your all ready over the weight and once you figure in 2 guys in the truck, fuel in the truck and any gear in the truck your another 600+ lbs overweight.
Eric

SASKTOOLMAN

Premium Member
Dec 18, 2013
CANADA
I run a sled deck and have a 27' V nose. Mostly use the sled deck, but for trips when theres more than 2 going, haul the trailer and take a spare sled. I store my sleds in the trailer in the summer. We use it to haul side x sides in summer as well when we go away to ride. Its handy to have both, and I think I personally will always try to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fc8464

Lifetime Membership
Nov 18, 2010
Fairbanks, Alaska 99725
Just asking, do you have to stop at the scales down there? No dought the truck would probably handle it with the saftey factor done at the factory. Also definitly would not go with the heviest sled deck. Fred

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Just asking, do you have to stop at the scales down there? No dought the truck would probably handle it with the saftey factor done at the factory. Also definitly would not go with the heviest sled deck. Fred

Never seen anyone with a deck have to scale but I know its a much bigger issue in Canada. Just want people to know that any 1/2 ton truck you have is going to be over the legal weight with a deck, 2 sleds, 2 guys, and gear. Eric

fc8464

Lifetime Membership
Nov 18, 2010
Fairbanks, Alaska 99725
^^^^^ I agree. I do tend push things past there limits and woundnt want any one to do any thing ilegal or cause damage to there vehicles.Fred

H
Feb 28, 2012
thanks everyone

I have decided to look into trading my tundra on a diesel pickup and look at purchasing a 28' bumper pull trailer for next year. That way I can hold 4 sleds and not have any problems pulling it with a truck. if not for next year then following seasons. As for the trailer situation right now I will likely just use my 6x12 utility trailer and ramp until this season ends and let me 20' trailer sell for now. I will need a bigger truck for my business anyway so it just works out this way.

Last edited:

SASKTOOLMAN

Premium Member
Dec 18, 2013
CANADA
In Canada in some provinces your sled deck has to be bolted down, ratchet straps dont cut it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
I have decided to look into trading my tundra on a diesel pickup and look at purchasing a 28' bumper pull trailer for next year. That way I can hold 4 sleds and not have any problems pulling it with a truck. if not for next year then following seasons. As for the trailer situation right now I will likely just use my 6x12 utility trailer and ramp until this season ends and let me 20' trailer sell for now. I will need a bigger truck for my business anyway so it just works out this way.

I did the sled deck/ 2-3place enclosed trailer in AK. On my shortbed truck, 6-6 bed not the 5' micro bed like a crewmax, it worked good with sleds up to 144". Any longer machines and even with the 2' hitch extension, couldn't make a tight turn without getting into the trailer nose. Not a problem with an open trailer.
It just got to be a pain with the kids' sleds on the deck, no reverse, have to take them off when you get home from the hill. Had to unhook the trailer to load/unload the deck, trailer tongue was not quite long enough to jack knife it and be able to unload off the deck.
Also hauling this entourage with a 3/4T diesel, so it didn't break a sweat.
I did the same as you're now planning. I dumped both the deck and the little trailer for a 28' enclosed. It is way more convenient in my situation. I have more than enough parking, so it doubles as garage space for the sleds leaving my shop more open. Easy to load and unload, changing room, can camp in it, etc.
My situation is it's me, wife and 2 kids riding 90% of the time. If I rode with the guys more, or lived back in CO where a lot of the parking areas I rode from were not big trailer friendly, I probably would still have a little trailer and a deck for more options.
RIght now it's an all or nothing deal. If I go by myself, have to load the sled or sno bike in the back of the truck. need decent ramps for that. If I take more than 1 machine, I'm hauling essentially a 6 place trailer.
Trade offs either way.

Plus I'm at low altitude now. In CO I would struggle with comfortably pulling/hauling all that with a gasser.

Last edited:
Premium Features