• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

IceAge PRO MOTION... MY INSTALL AND SOME QUICK THOUGHTS

goforbroke

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Highland, UT
Just curious, some people claim the 3" track takes away some of the handling characterics of the Pro, did you think that when you put the 3" on? And if so, do you think you got some back with the addition of the Pro-motion?

Again, just curious on your thoughts with regard to the 3" track and the Pro-motion combo.
The 3" track also has pros and cons. It hooks better in most conditions. in pure fluff, the 5.1 polaris track is just as good and slightly less trenching. mine is on a 163 so I have no wheelie problems. It isn't as fun down the trail. I will put the 3" track on my next sled. Goes better in most if not all conditions and is great in the trees. It hooks up and adds a little fun factor.:face-icon-small-hap the 3" track does take a bit more effort to maneuver, I think mostly due to less slip/better hook up. The pro motion makes it easier to initiate, I was amazed the number of times I stayed with feet on both sides of the sled vs hoping from side to side. I still have to be on one side to do downhill turn outs. I like the pro-motion better than the 36" a-arms for making the sled easier to maneuver. 36" kit made it too tippy for me in some situations were the pro-motion makes it easier but not tippy. Happy trails. Let it snow.

A
Apr 30, 2008
Anch, AK
Got my first real ride with the pro motion kit and it did feel that the sled got on edge easier for me but that was short lived. Conditions were a nice base with 30 or so inches of Alaska's finest white gold only found in Valdez. Once we rode for an hour or so the shaft that the kit sits on was covered in ice preventing the kit to move. The ice was wedged between the shaft and the promotion kit so tight I had to wait until the sled was in the heated shop for an hour or so to get it out. In reality I would just save your money if your considering one and take a nice road trip with the money you saved. It would bring more smiles than this kit does. On a side note my shock guy nailed my valving.

goforbroke

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Highland, UT
Have about 160 miles on mine now, and I like it. makes it a bit easier to initiate, not huge, but a bit. I don't notice it down a trail. Ride with other pros and some liked the change, some felt it made it to easy to tip and wash out. I would say if you love the way it is, leave it alone. I wanted it to be a bit easier to initiate for downhill turnouts etc and it is. I did wash out twice on steep sidehill with 8" of fluff and HARD snow under. stock sled washed out on it once also. so maybe a bit easier to wash out, but not much.

I would say any mod has plus and minus. most really aren't worth the cost. Buddies sled is bone stock. I have pro-motion, clutch kit, 3" track, triple rate springs - and not a lot of difference in performance. now in some snow conditions or in that one spot that the extra 1 mph track speed made a difference, it helped but not a big difference. That is the great thing about the pro, it is great stock.

all in all, I like the pro motion. My sled is a bit easier for me to maneuver and lay over and I didn't feel like it made it washout or unpredictable.

After a few more rides I have removed the Pro-motion. On those really steep side hills I found it to wash out. other than that, I really liked it. It is now on my kids sled to make it easier to learn to carve. (he is 12 y.o. and likes that he can kinda start to lean the sled!

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Well first trip with the new Pro-Motion installed. Before I go anyt further, here's my setup, 163" with an X3, Raptors all around, Alternative Impact 36" front end and SLP Powder Pro Skis. I'm 6 foot and weigh about 230, for comparison.

First day out I had the front end set to the narrowest setting and for "my" liking it was to tippy. I found for me and my riding style it just seemed to tippy, epsecially on climbs that were rough or the snow was set up. I know alot of this had to do with the front end but I know the Pro-Motion had some input with this as well. In the powder it was extremely easy to lay over and maneuver.

Half way through the first day, I set the skis to the widest (still narrower then stock) and a way a I went. I also played with the rear track shock spring and once that was set, I moved to ajusting the front track to get the right balance.

Okay, once I got the suspension and front end set to my liking, then it was time to start evaluating.

Now with the above combination, I did notice a difference with the addition of the Pro-Motion. While this is not the missing link and makes the Pro majical, it does change the handling.

What I noticed was I could feel the sled begin laying over with the lean easier then stock. Where I had times before, I would jump over to one side, I found myself staying in a neutral riding position more then normal. While it doesn't completely take away wrong foot forward, I did seem like I was going into this positon less. When I would go into wrong foot forward, you could really lay the sled onto its side and rip it around. Hopefully that makes sense?

As far as sidehilling, for me it again seemed like I was going into wrong foot forward less then before. Again, not a bunch but it was different then stock.
It seemed like I could sidehill more hills with staying in a neutral positon.

Overall, with the combination I have and the additon of the the Pro-Motion, it made the sled a tick better for powder riding. I still have some very fine tuning on suspension but all in all, I'm happy.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Another update,

I had my brother ride my sled (X3, 36" front end, Raptor shocks and Pro-Motion) for the first time. He rides a 12 Pro and his first powder turn, he went to turn and laid it on it's side and looked back at me like.......WTF?????? I obviously have gotten use to the handling but he kept saying, he couldn't believe how how it just laid over on it's side. And yes, he dumped one more time before bringing it back, ha ha.

Now, I don't think it's just the Pro-Motion that did this as it's more of a combination of a few things, that includes the Pro-motion.

Last edited:

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Send me some snow... we've got ZERO (or damn near this year)... I'd love to give an update!!:face-icon-small-dis

Burn truck fuel and go find snow. :)
f77edae2a98cef07427f4783b157fc7a.jpg

T
Feb 10, 2013
Idaho falls, Idaho
Reg2view, I've been riding with the Pro motion for a few hundred miles. No down sides and the sled defintely initiates the roll easier in low snow, which to me is the only real weakness to the chassis. I like to hang fairly steep sidehills and I ride a 163. I haven't noticed any increase in wash out, I know some on here would disagree but I have given it a pretty good amount of riding and I think it has a lot of pluses.

JUDGED

Lifetime Membership
Jan 5, 2015
www.judgedgear.com
Been riding with it all season. It rolls easier and is fun. Going back to stock to feel the difference. I feel like in the really tight trees and in a wheelie it is hard to keep straight, but that could be me.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Been riding with it all season. It rolls easier and is fun. Going back to stock to feel the difference. I feel like in the really tight trees and in a wheelie it is hard to keep straight, but that could be me.

I would have to agree. In the trees it lays right over!!!! Especially with a narrow front end.

Our last trip out, we got into some tight trees on a pretty good side hill. As I started my decent and went to lay it over, and it basically just comes right over. Once I would run down for a while and wanted to change directions, boom right over the other way. The sled is a 163 with an X3 and it works!!!!!

JMCX

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
They sent me new shafts and bolts as there was some concern they had with some of them. Glad they are proactive. While apart I noticed the spherical bearing was not happy, one of the seals had popped out and things were getting loose. I drilled and tapped for a grease zirk. There was only a couple hundred miles on it at that point.

Premium Features