• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

06 700 fusion won't start

B
Jan 25, 2016
This started with a burned out tail light. I swapped in 2 Sylvania Zevo LED 3157 lamps. Fired up sled 1 pull and fired. While running, turned brake lock on so I could look back and see lights and it was fine, seemed it was around that time I heard a pop or something like a backfire and then sled died. I could not get it to turn over again. Pulled plugs and I have spark. Pulled seat off and unplugged tail lights (which have adapter from Bluhm enterprises). Pulled brake/left controls off and tried safety switch behind brake and it was working when checked for continuity. Plugs look wet when I pulled them, even primed pump with 12V battery.

I tested capacitor, it appears to drain very slowly, don't think that is the issue. I plugged it back in, pulled the sled about 5-6 pulls and then checked capacitor right away and it was zero charge.

Checked stator and everything ohms out according to manuals.

I put some carb cleaner down the plug holes and fired it up, it ran for a few seconds and then quit.

Any suggestions for next steps to troubleshoot?

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
I don’t know for sure but I believe taillight is a/c and led lights don’t play well with a/c power. Some sleds have the stator supply d/c voltage and some have stator supply a/c and then the volt regulator spilts a/c to some things like head and taillights and d/c power to ecu and fuel pump. Some stators have sepearte coils that do separate functions.

I’m guessing that led light fried something, hopefully just the chassis relay, maybe the volt reg or the stator. Best to get a diagram of everything for your sled and trace componates

B
Jan 25, 2016
I don’t know for sure but I believe taillight is a/c and led lights don’t play well with a/c power. Some sleds have the stator supply d/c voltage and some have stator supply a/c and then the volt regulator spilts a/c to some things like head and taillights and d/c power to ecu and fuel pump. Some stators have sepearte coils that do separate functions.

I’m guessing that led light fried something, hopefully just the chassis relay, maybe the volt reg or the stator. Best to get a diagram of everything for your sled and trace componates

Would a bad voltage regulator or chassis relay cause sled not to start, if so, how do I test those components? Stator checks out, at least according to the Ohms in the manual.

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
Yes. Service manual should say how to test volt reg. There’s a lot of test for diff volt regs based on part number so make sure u have found the right testing info.

Relay should just be a standard 4 pin. Low power goes to small pins completing the circuit on the big pins. Should be a YouTube vid out there with a good way to test

B
Jan 25, 2016
Yes. Service manual should say how to test volt reg. There’s a lot of test for diff volt regs based on part number so make sure u have found the right testing info.

Relay should just be a standard 4 pin. Low power goes to small pins completing the circuit on the big pins. Should be a YouTube vid out there with a good way to test

I can't find how to test a regulator when the sled doesn't start. I have a couple service manuals and it talks about testing while engine running.

B
Jan 25, 2016
I can't find how to test a regulator when the sled doesn't start. I have a couple service manuals and it talks about testing while engine running.

Dealer (Mies) tested relay, that is good. I am leaning back to issues with LED tail lights. Going to unplug harness and try that. Guys at shop said the regulator wouldn't cause it to not run.

Other ideas?

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
You said it will run for a short time on adding a few drops of fuel to each cylinder. I’d try putting a volt meter on fuel pump harness and see if there’s volts there when it starts for that short time. If there’s power there then next I’d try same thing on injector circuit.

It’s clearly not getting gas right?

B
Jan 25, 2016
You said it will run for a short time on adding a few drops of fuel to each cylinder. I’d try putting a volt meter on fuel pump harness and see if there’s volts there when it starts for that short time. If there’s power there then next I’d try same thing on injector circuit.

It’s clearly not getting gas right?

Yes, I don't believe its getting gas. I will look at fuel pump after I redo tail lights.

B
Jan 25, 2016
I was thinking back to issue with brake light because that seemed to be when issue started. Could the LED tail lights have caused an issue to ECU or something?

I tested brake light and I get continuity when squeezed and open without so that should be working right?

I pulled kill switch and that is open when in run and continuity when off so that is right I think correct?

I unplugged the other connectors at handlebars (hand warmers, etc.) and there is continuity on any 2 of the 3 I test, is that correct?

How about tail light... does harness need to be plugged in or should it run disconnected?

B
Jan 25, 2016
So I took it into my dealer (Mies Outland) and they trace it back to fuel pump issues. My question for you guys.... I primed pump with the 12 volt plug and I could hear it working and it seemed to sound normal. Could it still be pump if it sounds fine priming it?

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
Only way to rule out the pump is with a gauge and pump powered by the sled.

Sounds to me like a fried coil on the stator

B
Jan 25, 2016
Dealer called today, switched out some fuel pump parts and sled runs apparently but no headlights and no display. I said that is when it started. Must be a short or something in my original tail lights. Other thoughts?

B
Jan 25, 2016
Sled is still at dealer, apparently they ordered some relay for it. I had them check the chassis relay before they started all this and that supposedly checked out good. Are there other relays on this sled that would relate to the no headlight/no display issue?

B
Jan 25, 2016
So I got sled back, it runs but I noticed the fuel gauge does not show up on the MFD. Any ideas? Below is the description that was on the bill.

Tag: C9005591 Desc: NO DESC - 3,454.0 Miles
DOESN'T START:
DIAGNOSED AND FOUND BAD FUEL PUMP - REPLACED WITH CUSTOMER SUPPLIED FUEL PUMP.
58PSI FUEL PRESSURE.
TEST RAN ON STAND - NO SNOW.
CUSTOMER DOES NOT HAVE SEAT BULLTED ON.
REPLACED CHASSES RELAY NOW LIGHTS WORK.
TOOK OUT LED BULBS AND WIRED IN NEW CONNECTOR, LEFT LIGHTS WORK BUT RIGHT SOCKET IS BAD AND
LIGHT IS INTERMITENT.

SL CUSTOMER LABOR-POLARIS 4.0000 $109.00 $436.00
8450003-1525 PA POL - LINE,FUEL,1/4 I 1.0000 Y $1.16 $1.16
7080307 PA POL - CLAMP,HOSE(10) 3.0000 Y $0.39 $1.17
4010764 PA POL - BULB-TAILLIGHT 2.0000 Y $14.99 $29.98
4011007 PA POL - RELAY-SEALED,SPST 1.0000 Y $16.99 $16.99
SERVICE ACC-TAX MC SERVICE ACCESSORY-TAXABLE 1.0000 Y $4.00 $4.00
Segment Total: $489.30

Premium Features