• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M1000 Clutching setup list

M
Feb 20, 2008
Spokane
Good info, and thanks for the suggestions. I got to ride the sled for the first time this weekend. Had good power, egts were sound, and I got about 7650 rpms on the trail. Didnt look down when I was in the powder tho. I got her up to 90 on a straight stretch and I thnk it could of done a little more :D:D. The only bad thing that I noticed so far was that I think the intake was the culprit of a little bog and a little poorer performance throughout the rpms in the soft powder. I have the BD-X intake and I think that when theres snow all over the front of the sled then it can't get air from anywhere else. Anybody else think this could be the reason for the shaky performance, and any suggestions???

thanks, keep this thread goin

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
I'd like to hear some more reports on track speeds when climbing. i was seeing around 50mph this weekend and i think there should be much more. i'm beginning to believe that stock secondary setup is causing a bit of wall that's just to hard to shift through with the stock gearing and/or the shallow 36* and stiff secondary spring.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
I would have to agree with RKT. I purchase his kit because I felt like the sled would hit a wall, for example I would have a huge run at a hill and once it hit a certain speed it would just stop accelerating. Since installing the RKT secondary conversion I have not had this issue. I have noticed improved up and back shifting and its adjustable so I can change settings for elevation and modifications. I am not saying its the only option but it worked for me. I have also heard that the shift assist from DD will help with this problem but I don't have any personal experience with it.

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
Kelsey -

It would seem like the torsion kit would be the answer to this, though i remember us talking some time ago that the kit helped small bores more than big bores like the 1000. I'd a thought that the 1000 would be less affected by the overall stiff and slow shifting nature of the stock parts.

What are you recommending for the 1000 these days (153 and 162)?

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
more ride reports.

Got to ride my 08 1000 in 4ft of bottomless this weekend. What a fun sled. This thing has power for miles. It does need clutching help though. overall the stock clutching isn't bad though - not tons of heat, but as noted above it hits a wall around 50mph. I believe the track holds this sled back as much as the clutching though.

Kelsey is setting me up with one of his kits, so i will be reporting on my improvements over the stock setup. I may try running a smaller compression spring inside the torsion spring to get more consistency in our heavy WA snow.

Currently running a stock motor still - gonna add the pipe and intake this weekend and hopefully the clutching as well.

my sled feels freakishly fast at the moment though. maybe i'm just used to smaller bores though!? :D It hits the wall in deep deep pow. just won't keep shifting out and is very slow to backshift.

R
Dec 2, 2001
Spokane WA
08 Powerclaw162
4-6k
Rider 235lbs (-47 from sled)
Jaws Twins w/ AI fuel controller (fuel psi set to 42)
M8 gearing
3 post w/ stock Ti and Dalton 75g weights w/ very little added
CPC conversion w/ straight 38 and CPC red/white in the middle

Target rpm is 7700 and seems to hit this fairly consistent in a climb or on the road. I have tried sevral other setups, but this has been the most consistent especially since the lower gearing. Strong throughout the shift, and good backshift. I run a speed sensor on the driveshaft and rpms have gone from 2400(before mods) to 2650(after) avg. in a loaded climb. (low 50s track speed)

M
Feb 20, 2008
Spokane
Just got my new 3 post :)..What spring and weights should I put on it? I have a friend with some 77g weights that are a heavy on the ends. Also thinkin of just running the stock yellow/white spring. Any suggestions??

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
Ride report coming...

Just finished installing the RKT torsion kit. install was easy, brand new 046 belt to run with it. Also shimmed the motor to the riders left to help alignment. Am running a 38/36 progressive with sno pro green and light inner compression spring. will be reporting after this weekend, though the snow looks like it will be spring conditions... :mad:

Excited to see how the clutching does.

M
Feb 20, 2008
Spokane
Just got my new 3 post :)..What spring and weights should I put on it? I have a friend with some 77g weights that are a heavy on the ends. Also thinkin of just running the stock yellow/white spring. Any suggestions??

Sorry guess I should have put a little more info on here. Its an 07 M1000 with slp y-pipe, pipe, and can. I ride 3k-6k usually. Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Qreiff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
07 PowerClaw 153
10-12,000 (Colorado & Wyoming)
RKT Head 14.5:1 / Speedwerx exhaust
Rider 195 lbs fully geared up
55/65 BDX gears
4 post with STM billet spider & cover
148/290 H5 drive spring /63 gram weights (Cat weights)
RKT conversion 36* straight with Speedwerx Blue mid position
046 belt
Strong up and backshifts
Consistant 51-55 trackspeed climbing - 7400 RPM strong
Excellent control while climbing or boondocking

M
Feb 20, 2008
Spokane
I DO NOT like SLP's MTX weights. There are MUCH better options. Like the CPCs or STOCK weights.

MarcS - if you are riding 3-6k you be able to pull 83g AC weights with the SLP pipe setup and the 060 belt.

Ok thanks scadlecat and mrquick68. I will look into the cpc's and stock weights as I've heard a couple other complaints about the MTX weights. I will be running the 046 belt and i guess the yellow/white spring. Thanks for the help.

Premium Features