• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Firestone wireless air command for air bags - installed and love it

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
i had air bags on my pickup since 2008 when i bought it. i had them plumbed in with the valve stems that come with the kit. they are cheap, simple, and work fine if you want to drag a compressor with you everywhere. i was flat out sick of messing with the compressor all the time.

i checked into various setups with a compressor, most of which had an big gauge you had to mount someplace inside the cab, run air lines inside the cab, etc... alot of clutter and more crap hanging off of my dash that i dont want.

i then found the wireless air command from firestone. it was exactly the opposite of the setup i just explained. there is nothing inside the cab except the small remote control, which is about the size of a deck of cards. no wires, no airlines, NOTHING. its a little harder on the checkbook compared some other styles, but it is worth it in my opinion. you can throw the remote in the center console when not in use...out of sight, out of mind.

the install is very basic, but does take some time (especially if you dont want wires hanging all over). there are alot of wires, but it is all basic stuff. just need to find a way to hide all those damn wires!

IF YOU INSTALL IT UNDER THE HOOD LIKE I DID...............make sure you purchase extra air line. the amount that comes with the air bags is not long enough to make two runs from the rear axle to the front of the vehicle. etrailer.com sells extra firestone air line. im sure you can get the stuff at any truck/trailer repair shop, but i live out in the boonies and couldnt find any close to home. i was ordering stuff from etrailer anyways...

ANOTHER INSTALL TIP....if you look at my first pic, notice the black box with all the wires coming out of it. this is obviously the main "brain" of the controller. there is no antenna to receive the signal from the remote. thus, the deeper you bury this box in the location you chose, the worse reception it will get. i like the nice, clean install i did on the kit, but i hate the reception. it works 100% of the time from inside the cab, but if i get out and stand by tailgate to start hooking a trailer up, it will not work. it stops working about the time i get by the gas filler door on the bedside. not a BIG problem, but i would have definitely thought about mounting it someplace else had i known this before i installed it.

i have ran the wireless air command for about 8 months now, and am extremely happy with it except for a couple things.
1. firestone recommends running at least 5 lbs in the bags at all times. it is nearly impossible to get the bags to deflate this low. they always hang between 8-11 lbs unless you deflate them with a load on the rear of the pickup. (if you deflate them with a trailer hooked up, the weight of the trailer will help deflate them all the way to 5 lbs, then the valve closes and keeps them at 5-6 lbs.) most people probably wouldnt care, but it just bugs me. the naked eye cannot see a difference in height of the rear end (but it still bothers me)
2. if you set the controller to fill the bags to 40 psi, the compressor will stop running BEFORE it actually gets to 40. thus you end up with 35-38 lbs in the bags (and 90% of the time not equal pressure between the two). for example, one will have 35 and the other will have 39. i have just gotten used to inflating 5 psi more than the setpoint and it usually ends up close to what i want. once again....is this a big deal? probably not... i am just anal about dumb stuff like this.

you can "T" both bags together and run them off of one port on the controller (the controller is capable of running 4 bags, 2 front and 2 rear). i dont like the idea of running the bags together as 1 because of body roll. i cant help but think that when you turn, the outside bag will see more weight and the inside will see less, thus pushing air from one bag to another.

DSC01271.jpg

DSC01354.jpg

DSC01357.jpg

DSC01358.jpg

DSC01356.jpg

Last edited:

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I have a simpler setup of basically the same thing. There is a guage with 2 needles on it and two switches. You can add or subtract air from both or either bag from the cab. Air bags are amazing if you have a half ton. I can level out any load I can hitch or put in the bed. Rig handles so much better/safer without running nose high. The only other mod I like more on my truck is the 46 gallon fuel tank I put it. Super nice while towing to have a 350-400 mile range instead of 175-200.

W
Sep 15, 2008
Spokane, Wa
I did the air lift version, basically the same thing, a couple years ago. ive been really happy with it. I plumbed mine in after i already had the bags so i can use a regular air compressor too.

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
I looked at the air lift kit too. I couldn't find any feedback on it though... How are your experiences with it?

trickedout700

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2004
Great Falls, MT
Just bought a air lift wireless kit pretty much the same. I went with them because they gave me one below cost since I am a dealer pushing product. I have just bags on my Dodge and about a hour install. We will see how long this kit takes.

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
Just bought a air lift wireless kit pretty much the same. I went with them because they gave me one below cost since I am a dealer pushing product. I have just bags on my Dodge and about a hour install. We will see how long this kit takes.

with my firestone kit, it took me about 3-4 hours. it took time to figure out how to position everything, getting it mounted, find a nice neat place to run the air lines from the rear axle up to the engine bay, finding a switched +12v under the hood, wrap everything in split loom.... nothing complicated, just time consuming if you want it done right and clean looking. i bet a "conventional kit" with all the air lines running inside the cab would probably take longer...

you will have to give some feedback after you get it installed. im curious to see how accurately the airlift kit will fill the bags. because like i said in my original post.....that is one of the only things that bothers the hell out of me with the firestone kit...

Last edited:

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I had a buddy that had an airlift system on a tricked out Tahoe. It was extremely high. He loaned it to me while I was having my Tundra painted and it was a nightmare. If the air wasn't set perfect all the way around the truck handled like crap. It seemed to run on the left front and right rear or vice versa. His mechanics called it the Widow Maker because it darted around so bad at freeway speeds. Now this was a very expensive system but it didn't work well at all. Make sure you get some kind of performance guarantee on install so if it doesn't work you can return it and get your money back.

W
Sep 15, 2008
Spokane, Wa
I looked at the air lift kit too. I couldn't find any feedback on it though... How are your experiences with it?

Ive been happy with it. I have it on a half ton, It is always kind of always adjusting its self. Like even if i just have a couple hundred pounds in the back it will let air out because the pressure goes up, then when i take weight out if will kick the compressor on for a second. Its not really a big deal but I think the cheap little compressors would last longer if they werent always kicking on for a second. But definately nice not having to run lines in the cab and all that. I would recomend it. My father in law has the firestone one, it works well too.

Premium Features