• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

my lady friend needs her sled setup

A
Apr 30, 2008
Anch, AK
My girlfriend has a 08 Phazer MTX and complains that when she is trying to climb any sort of hill the sled just wants to tip over and head down hill. The sled is extremly soft even when I ride it. So if anyone has any ideas on how to set it up to be a better small hill climber let me know, If anyone has any good tips about the Phazer I will take those as well. She uses the sled to go skiing so she needs to be able to get up some hills. I was thinking about putting some floats on the front and maybe some different torsion springs any other small mods you reccommend let me know.

D

dcturbo

Mar 2, 2008
WYO
well lets see a picture of your girlfriend first.. That usually helps with pointers and tips.. Just turn the Maverick track around. the lugs fold. Can you widen the skis? tighten the springs down or tighten the limiter strap another hole. and depending on her weight, try to keep the rear spring as light as posable.
Now where is the pics?? jk :D cheers

A
Aug 3, 2008
North Idaho
Dang things are like tractors, they are great until you stop or slow down then over they come. We put the front track limiter strap at the top position, make the rear spring setting on the lightest and firm up the front shocks, widen the ski stance all the way out. My mom is 67 and rides an 09 Phazer, if she can ride it your girlfriend can! It took a bit for her to get used to it and this set up seemed to help. You have to keep your momentum up or else it wants to walk up on the snow all the time. Never heard of turing the track around???Thats my .02 anyone else?

RX1MountainMan

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Harlowton, MT
Trade it on an RMK 600 155....SERIOUSLY! We had one for my wife and as bad as I wanted an all 4-stroke Yamaha sled fleet it wasn't meant to be. She was ready to quit sledding so we got the RMK and she is practically unstoppable now. I tried everything I could think of or read about to no avail. I even talked to one of the guys at Yamaha HQ in California and told him what I thought should be done on future versions....we'll see. It needs a 15" wide track with a shallower attack angle and about 25 more ponies. As far as actually riding it you have to pay close attention and riding dirt bikes in your past helps a bunch....I kind of equated it to riding an old XR200 on a sloppy rutted up trail......

T

tranquillicer

Nov 27, 2007
Sask. Canada
Phazer

My 12 year old rode hers in the mt's last year for the first time. All stock except for skis. Simmons Gen1. Took a couple of days to get use to riding that kind of terrain but was fine after that. The Phazer is a tippy sled on the flats so it is understandable that it would be worse when the terrain is never flat. 7,000' and 60 ish hp and a 144"x2"x14" track will not be a"thrill a minute" ride at the best of times but it's been a great learning sled. You need some body english on the Phazer for sure, but that's not a bad thing to learn if your riding the mountains with any sled.
Just a flatlanders opinion

A
Apr 30, 2008
Anch, AK
I lltry setting the stance wider and maybe see if I can pick up some floats for the front end. Like I said she uses it to go skiing in the winter but come spring she rides a 05 IQ 440 shortie and she does great on that thing but for some reason has trouble with the Phazer when the snow is soft. I dont have any picture of her on this computer but here are a couple of good lines here in AK. One of the mountain and the other looking down it.
Enjoy

Shoulder of Death.jpg Shoulder of Death 2.jpg

Premium Features