• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2 Stroke or 4

Yrocmoto

Lifetime Membership
Jan 21, 2014
Utah
Just bought my first TS kit. it's a 2014 ST. Was pretty much thinking that my KTM 525 was the ticket, but I've been seeing more and more of these on 2 strokes, so now I'm wondering if I should stick it on my YZ250?? I like the idea of the 2 stoke and lighter weight. But the headlight and heated grips on the KTM is a plus. I do have a 100W stator for the YZ, so I could do a good setup.

The other reason I like the idea of putting it on the YZ, is the KTM is my desert bike, and I can ride year long in the desert here, so I wouldn't have to be swapping wheels/track all year. My YZ is my mountain bike, so it makes sense to use it as that year round (wheels in the summer, track in the winter).

Any input? Anyone ridden both for some real impressions?

T

thejean

Jan 17, 2013
I have heard the YZ250 does respectably well as a snowbike. Carb icing can be a pain but there are solutions. Both bikes are carbed I presume? If you do shoulder season mountain riding on your 250 with studs then having the kit on it will be a pain. But if just desert riding with the 525 then it seems like the YZ is your ticket. Which bike is the fit kit for? I am assuming KTM which means you will need to buy a fit kit for said YZ.

I rode a KTM 300 past two seasons and am going to a 450F this year but not sure if it will be any better or not.

Also, how heavy are you? Might make a difference on the 250. If lighter (200, I would go with the 525.

Yrocmoto

Lifetime Membership
Jan 21, 2014
Utah
Thanks for the info. I dont' have a fit kit yet, trying to decide which one to get it for. I weight 160, so the YZ would probably be enough power. I don't do any studded tires, just ride mountains in the summer, desert in the winter.

T

thejean

Jan 17, 2013
Then sounds to me like the YZ is your ticket. Ride desert during shoulder season while you're converting the 250.

Also, the two strokes seem to handle snowbike engine abuse better than the fours. Rebuilds are wayyyyy cheaper too.

Last edited:
Premium Features