• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is more always better? 141 vs 153

B
Nov 26, 2007
Red deer Alberta
Ok forget about boondocking, lets get back on topic about track lengths here, asde from the fact that we can agree that the short track are more flickable I think that a longer track has so much more to offer and this applies to any track ie 141 vs 153. On a white out day when you hit the pocket that you couldnt see, you have a much better chance of nailing the throttle and getting out, on a sidehill a short track does kick out easier and you are stuck facing uphill, a longer track holds way better, also I have been in some hairy predicaments and need braking downhill and a long track gives you that. Also at the end of the day I burn much less fuel because I dont need to be on the throttle hard all day, you can also get more vertical as a longer track will keep the front end down better if you have your suspension set up properly. I still say the benefits of a longer track outweigh a short track and I have no lack of fun with my limo that is for sure.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I'm actually able to brake better on the downhill with my 141 than our 153... seems so backwards to me, but there's no question about it. I'm also able to slide the sled sideways more with the shorter track, which can help slow you down in extreme steep situations.

As to the issue of it "saving you" one big thing I find very important is having a sled I can stand up when I need to. Around here there's lots of creek crossings early & late season, and you need to be able to lift the skis so that you don't nose into the other side. On both of ours we can stand them up, then hit the other side with the track in plane with the opposite bank, which gives you the best chance to get back out. I'm not saying that a sled that goes everywhere on it's tail is ideal, just that you need to be ABLE to get it up when needed, and I don't understand how that's doable with a sled that has more track than power? I've ridden 162 m8's & they don't do what I want them to do. Even a stock 1000 162 I borrowed last year was not enough oompfh to get it to ride the way I wanted.

Both require different skills to be able to get the most out of what you're riding, no doubt about that (but obviously mine is better... of course.:becky:)

V

VRod

Nov 26, 2007
Bozeman, MT
@backcountry - would you still ride the 141" 60+ days a year if it didn't have a turbo, expecting that those 60+ days aren't May/June/July.

If this guy is keeping it stock then the obvoius choice is at least a 153". Who wants to be the flatlander coming out west a couple times a year on the 141" and it just happens to dump 3' and he's the one holding up the group on the shorttrack and everyone is tired from digging him out all day.

S
Feb 21, 2009

any vid i see of burant or whatver they are on 153-146s

I like the 153 best for all conditions, its just enough on the 4-6 foot dumps we get in the sierras anything smaller just gets sucked up....just my experience, but if your havin fun and it works for ya, thats all that matters..

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
If this guy is keeping it stock then the obvoius choice is at least a 153". Who wants to be the flatlander coming out west a couple times a year on the 141" and it just happens to dump 3' and he's the one holding up the group on the shorttrack and everyone is tired from digging him out all day.

If everyone else is on a 153 and he is a really good rider it may be fine, if they are on 162's then the 141 will take a lot of work if possible, where the 153 wouldn't be that far behind.

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
Opinions opinions opinions, like I said.

To the guy asking the original question, "141 or 153?" you probably should decide which YOU like better since YOU'LL be the one riding it. I'll tell you one thing, and another will tell you another, my dad can beat up your dad. It's just like watching a pissing match until you whip yours out and get in there also. None of us here are going to open up our pocket books to get you what WE think you should have, YOU'LL be paying for it and YOU'LL be riding it. If you're not sure, try renting or borrowing different lengths and try riding them in different snow conditions and THEN decide. That's by far the best way to get what YOU want. Just be patient, weigh the options out for yourself, and then be smart and get the 141 :face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

Nov 20, 2008
last year i rode a stock 440 race sled in the mountains with my friends on a xp 800 and 700 polaris and went where they went all day long with 2' of fresh snow. this year i streched the sled to a 141. this is my reasoning. when you get a 153 stuck its heavier/harder to lift and get unstuck by yourself.(i wish they had a crying face i could put here haha) allso i do most of my riding in the UP of michigan and having a track that big is not worth it to me because with a smaller track it makes the hills harder to get up, and thats the fun part

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
@backcountry - would you still ride the 141" 60+ days a year if it didn't have a turbo, expecting that those 60+ days aren't May/June/July.

My last 141 was a non piped 1000. You don't need a turbo for the 141 to be fun.

If he's not a strong rider, the 141 will of course be a challenge, but the biggest point people need to realize that BOTH have challenges. The 141 turns out much easier, the 141 changes directions easier, the 141 lifts skis easier to cross a creek, the 141 is WAY easier to get unstuck on your own.... you just need to be on it enough to keep some speed up, whereas a longer track can slow down & think more. both have ups & downs, the problem is most folks' last time on a 141 was a 10 yr old sled, and with the tech where it is now, the new sleds in a shorter track can accomplish a TON.

If he's a flatlander who will ride it at home as well, the shorter track will be more enjoyable for him there also.

NO right or wrong answer to this question, but to assume there are only upsides to one or the other is to not see the forest for the trees.

K
Nov 6, 2008
Prince George, B.C.
so I see alot of talk about track length, but what about width? I don't know if there is room on your sled but a couple years ago I went from a 141x15x2 to a 144x16x2 and have found it way better, just as easy to move around but less trenching and climbs way better. Just a thought, gives you the best of both worlds IMO, and I'm no high$ turbo, brand new sled either, just an average guy with enough knowledge and ability that I have been able to make enough good mods to a 99 700 to make it a blast to ride.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Knightracer, unfortunately we can't go to a 16" track on the M, so it's not an option anymore. I really like the xp 146 x 16 setup... more float than a 153 cat, but still that short track feel... very cool.

Hatchers... you mean boostboy, niner & rixter I assume... right???:face-icon-small-sho

White Rad

Premium Member
Nov 16, 2009
WA to B.C.
the answer depends if your going out west or going out WEST! so a 141 can go everywhere a 153/162 can IF it has a trurbo roger that! I converted my sled from a 153 to 162 half way through the season a couple years ago and here are my general thoughts. Of course this is in the REAL west where you can see the ocean but....the 162 didn't really float that much better or climb farther unless it was one of those rare days when we got fluffy snow. In the heavier snow the 162 lost more track speed. The 162 made it feel slightly less nimble and flickable but not that much and didn't interfere with my ability to lace technical lines and lay downhill ghackers but that is what I do. I'm hoping to ride a 153 this year!

Last edited:
K
Nov 6, 2008
Prince George, B.C.
Ya I'm hoping too go to the 146x16x2.25 this year or in the spring, my boss had one for super cheap. I find the forums on here helpful but always the same few people that can afford the enlargements measuring cocks and leaving the average guy still wondering "is it better to bottom out or beat the s!*t out of the side walls?" lol

niner

Lifetime Membership
Mar 16, 2008
Lacombe Alberta
To answer the original question I think you should keep your 141" track on your sled. For one trip a year to the mountains its good enough. Work on your skills every chance you get. When I go for a rip out in the praires I find a hay field with some fresh snow and practice carving both left and right. The rest of your buddies will shake there head but this is the perfect spot to practice. I totally agree with an earlier post that you need to try different lenghts when you go out. Until you can do perfect carving on a flat field leave your sled as is. I went on my 174" rant when guys say there no fun. I'm done now. Still glad to be a basic member,cause this thread is beat to death.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
whatever you guys just posted, I'm just going to have to categorically disagree.

You have reached the limit of your Free Basic Member reading privileges. To continue reading this thread, please upgrade to Premium Member status.

Funny, the stupid thread about the weight of the 2012 I can read though... odd.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
141-153 everyone keeps trying to say back to original question, to be fair we need to know where out west is exactly, riders skill level, riders style, what the others are riding and there style and skill level. Its comparing one thing to another and the actual length doesn't matter, its more about what is the advantage and disadvantages of each, pick your fantasy along with your poison. Any thread that goes on this long is all about the argument not the facts so who cares.

S

snopro27

Nov 11, 2008
MINES BIGGER THAN YOURS!! BLAH BLAH BLAH! its all personal preference. I ride a 153 and love it, yah theres somedays a little extra length would be nice (weve all been there) but then theres days that you dont need all that track hanging out.

Premium Features