• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

The saying "there is no replacement for displacement," doesn't really apply here.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
I think it just looks that way because of four wheel drive and traction control??? Not sure though.

Last edited:

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
I would think with the 4wd and traction control he could be way more aggressive off the line. But a couple of those cars could for sure catch him on the top end.

But it's still amazing at what they can get those trucks to do.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I'd like to see the timeslips to see the reaction times, but there was no winning those races for the other cars.

He should also put his visor down before making a pass. It's in the rules ;)

I
Nov 26, 2007
The hellcat cut a .9

I'm sure that trucks fast for what it is but zero footage of the tree makes me think the trucker was running reds...or maybe everyone else at the track that day really is as slow off the line as they look.

S

skidoorulz

Nov 21, 2007
Billings Montana
They aren't using a pro tree where each light goes green at the same time. They were racing brackets. Slower vehicle ie the Ford gets a head start on the tree. Heads up and the 150 would have been destroyed by all of them.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
If it was a bracket race, the truck would be leaving last as it was faster....

Fast truck, bad lights by the car drivers.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
Fast, ok. Most of us here have a truck for our sleds weather it's for trailer pulling or deck hauling, and many are going to the half ton due to these reviews. My question is when we get this half ton loaded down with an enclosed trailer or two sleds on a deck in a sixty mile an hour cross wind will you expect it to stay on the road or is your load going to put ya in the ditch?
Replacement for displacement? Or trade-off for torque?

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
That 3.5 shines in torque comparisons. Plus it makes the torque at a much lower rpm.

Empty vs empty, a 6.2 is every bit as good as the eco, but hook on a trailer, and that's when the eco rises above all the other current non-diesel engines.
(I still love the old 8.1 though)

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
The point I was trying to make wasn't from a power perspective. I'm more trying to make some people realize they are over loading what's still just a half ton truck. The loads I see people pulling past my house with these little pickups is dumb, pun intended, and once the load decides it wants to change direction the little half ton is going with it.
Now with all the positive reviews and feedback of this sweet little engine it's strange ford has not put it in a bigger frame

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
i believe that is the wed night race where anyone can run what they have. no bracket racing.i live about 10 miles from that track

bkm20x

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Arnolds Park, IA
The point I was trying to make wasn't from a power perspective. I'm more trying to make some people realize they are over loading what's still just a half ton truck. The loads I see people pulling past my house with these little pickups is dumb, pun intended, and once the load decides it wants to change direction the little half ton is going with it.
Now with all the positive reviews and feedback of this sweet little engine it's strange ford has not put it in a bigger frame

1\2 tons have evolved over the last few years just look at the specs...f150's now weigh as much and have more hp and tq than 2000's 3\4 tons

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
1\2 tons have evolved over the last few years just look at the specs...f150's now weigh as much and have more hp and tq than 2000's 3\4 tons

I'll reiterate, yes they have more power capacity. The load capacity is still the same. A half ton pickup is rated to handle light loads. Yes the engine can do it, however all the drive train components are much smaller. All of it the axles, hubs, drive lines, and u joints are smaller. The shocks aren't valved as stiff, the springs have less "ing", the frame is smaller, and in some cases the tires aren't even rated for the larger capicity.

So yes they've come a long way, but still are built to do the same thing. They just do light loads better than they used to.

I'm sure Ford's planning on coming out with this fancy eco boost in a superduty and all will be fine. Might have to go back to a steel body to put some weight back in it though.

That was the problem when I used to tow a large trailer with my half ton. Either when I got passed or when passing the side draft off the other car hitting the trailer would send me all over the lane. Since I got a one ton truck the wind has no effect at all. Cause it's built for it!

bkm20x

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Arnolds Park, IA
I'll reiterate, yes they have more power capacity. The load capacity is still the same. A half ton pickup is rated to handle light loads. Yes the engine can do it, however all the drive train components are much smaller. All of it the axles, hubs, drive lines, and u joints are smaller. The shocks aren't valved as stiff, the springs have less "ing", the frame is smaller, and in some cases the tires aren't even rated for the larger capicity.

So yes they've come a long way, but still are built to do the same thing. They just do light loads better than they used to.

I'm sure Ford's planning on coming out with this fancy eco boost in a superduty and all will be fine. Might have to go back to a steel body to put some weight back in it though.

That was the problem when I used to tow a large trailer with my half ton. Either when I got passed or when passing the side draft off the other car hitting the trailer would send me all over the lane. Since I got a one ton truck the wind has no effect at all. Cause it's built for it!

Thanks I am well aware of the differences between 1/2tons and super duties lol it will be a never ending debate in my opinion, my 2 previous trucks have been 3/4 ton Diesels. I just don't have the need to daily drive one around to justify better towing performance 6-8 times out of the year. My F150 handles the "light loads" (6'000lb boat, open trailer with skid loader and enclosed trailer) just fine.

cpa

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2001
Utah
I have both a 17 150 ecoboost and a 2015 2500 cummins. I agree that the power of the ecoboost is impressive and its dang fun to drive but it is not made to tow much at all and becomes darn right scary on icy roads with a little wind if you are pulling a trailer. I had a 2013 5.0 liter ford 1/2 ton and tried pulling my 28' enclosed with it once. That was more than enough. The ecoboost has more power than the 5.0 liter did but weighs even less which makes the problem worse. No way would I want to pull much with it. So the best solution is to get one of both:face-icon-small-hap and take your pick.

black z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2014
MN
Had a half ton ecoboost, after having the truck get blown around with a trailer on the freeway multiple times between Cheyenne and Laramie I traded it for a 1 ton diesel.

black z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2014
MN
If it was a bracket race, the truck would be leaving last as it was faster....

Fast truck, bad lights by the car drivers.

You have it backwards, the truck is clearly slower, that's why he's starting earlier and why the cars are gaining on the back end. The point of bracket racing is all about the tree and the 60'. My old engineering shop manager used to win bracket races all the time in his bone stock 5.4 F150 because he was deadly consistent at the tree. Theoretically it's supposed to basically be a tie at the finish

Premium Features