• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Upper airbox vent=burndown

Thread Rating
4.00 star(s)
FYI, I added a XXX upper airbox vent, and 21 miles later I burned-down. My dealer is claiming it caused a lean condition on the PTO side, and wont honor the 2yr engine warranty because of the mod. Guess it was a bad idea.......:mad:

J
Dec 2, 2002
Monticello, MN
Any pics of the piston wash or plug colors? Were you using good 91+ fuel? What was the temperature outside? Did you change any of the jets from stock?

I'm just trying to figure out what else could contribute to the burn down.

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
I'd be very shocked if that was the
cause. I have two holes
in my lower and
turboal does tons of abox mods with no probs. If you has stk jets you
would still be fat. Did it burn on a long hard pull
or in the mid?

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Venting the plenum shouldn't effect jetting or air/fuel mix. Venting to the airbox itself maybe. If it's before the plenum/airbox connection I would raise a stink with your dealer AND Doo.....they know better.
By law they MUST PROVE that your mod caused the failure.....I doubt they can. Check out Magnuson-Moss act.

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
I call BS! Would they have rejected your claim if you'd installed the Ski Doo RS air intake kit? That would have had the same effect (e.g., upper airbox venting) and they don't recommend any changes to jetting or warnings about any lean condition with that one.

I had a warranty problem with a WA dealer last year myself. When I threatened to sue them in small claims court they finally gave me what I wanted/deserved.

F
Nov 26, 2007
I call BS! Would they have rejected your claim if you'd installed the Ski Doo RS air intake kit? That would have had the same effect (e.g., upper airbox venting) and they don't recommend any changes to jetting or warnings about any lean condition with that one.

I had a warranty problem with a WA dealer last year myself. When I threatened to sue them in small claims court they finally gave me what I wanted/deserved.

Good point !!!:beer;

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
JFYI....a local dealer even installs the Timbersled intake on new sleds....with warranty, eliminates the plenum and airbox.

L

lightening800

Sep 4, 2004
northern alberta
what a bunch off bull, i also doubt that caused your issue, i have 2 -3" holes in upper air box and im jetted at 460 mains with no problems, so i call bullsh$t..need to yell louder or something

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
find another dealer, and also you should post the dealer name and sevice manager, with their phone number, i will call and ***** for you

i have run with mods on my airboxes on all machines i had previous and would not accept anything less than warrenty, raise a stink MAN

M

mcgyver

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 5, 2008
Idaho
LOL.......my dealer installed the slp florite in the upper box. your dealer sounds like the local "big" dealer in this area that i avoid. Their service department is just shy of meeting oportunity workshop standards. bunch of window lickers

whitefish

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kent WA
What are the details on the burn down? Was it possibly water getting in? That upper area is super warm when not moving and melts snow very fast thus running down right into the air box.

Premium Features