• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Axys vs mod pro

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
I planed on waiting a year to buy. Planed on a holdover Axys or snow checking a 17. With all the very low mile modded pros on the marker right now, I have been thinking about one of those. Looking at some engine work and a 3 inch track on a pro.

Any thoughts from the guys thar have rode the Axys. Was told by a guy that went with Burandt the difference between a pro and an Axys is the same as the difference between a pro and a dragon. Seems like a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
the difference between a pro and an Axys is the same as the difference between a pro and a dragon. Seems like a lot.

Thats exactly what I WASNT, going to say. I rode the axys and my 14 pro back to back to back and yes the Axys is better, but its not night and day better. My take on it is that its very similar to the Pro, its just does everything better then the pro and its easier to do it.

My thought on your idea is that if you buy a used or hold over Pro and then spend some money on it making it better it needs to end up MUCH cheaper then a new Axys and you better plan on keeping it for a while. The Pros will continue to drop in value and the Axys would keep its value better for the next 2-3 yrs. Eric

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
the difference between a pro and an Axys is the same as the difference between a pro and a dragon. Seems like a lot.

X2 what SRX said.

And here's my $0.02

The ProRide was a big leap forward with the narrow "cab" design, better rear suspension, hugely improved steering action and better balance all around.... not to mention the lower weight.

The AXYS sled has more power... and is more "nimble" in technical situations. But, as we have all watched the vids.... the ProRides went where the skills of the rider would take them. The AXYS makes things easier, there is a difference in riding them.. a little lighter, a little more power... but not the "game changer" to the degree that the Dragon-to-ProRide move was....not even in the same ball park.

SRX also brings up a good point... If you are trying to "mod out" a ProRide to be and AXYS.... I think you will find a lot of effort and expense involved, and not be able to recoup your investment if you decide to sell it later. And who know at this point what will work and what wont. Some small changes in the ProRide like the right handlebars that fit you, maybe some narrow arms.... or improved shocks...you know, small stuff.... will help you dial in a ProRide to your personal liking.

At this point, I'm not sure the Axys will climb any better (or worse) than the ProRide...But the AXYS seemed to be a little light on the front on the few good climbs I did in spring-ish snow in Alpine. Track choice and suspension setup will make a diff there.

The 3" track is a big investment... look at tearing off over $1000 plus labor for track and drivers.

I'm sure there will some other great comments on it here.

Last edited:
J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
IMO... You can't turn a new pro into an Axys for less than just buying an Axys. So trying to do that is a waste, and all the mod money spent will be totally gone come resale time....and could have just been spent on the price difference to the axys. That said...there still nothing wrong with a pro.

So buying a pro with mods already done could be an option....but then you're talking used vs new. Or just riding a new stock (or relatively stock) pro, as they are a very capable sled in their own right...regardless of what the Axys does better.

I would go new either way...because I like new stuff. But that's just me. Think about how long would you keep the sled, and what are you wanting to do that a stock pro won't do...realistically. That might help your decision. If you ultimately want an Axys...might as well pony up now, because it'll end up more expensive to buy 2 Sleds over 2-3 year, than just buying the Axys and keeping it slightly longer.

Last edited:
M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
When in doubt buy the latest and greatest. Every penny you throw at the old iron will probably not make it as good as a new STOCK sled. That being said, the pro was a game changer, not sure how long we will be waiting for another chassis that will have the impact of the pro. If you can afford an axys go for it. If not, don't fret.

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Pretty much can't go wrong either way. Spend whatever you can (want to) afford. Love new sleds because they're new. First year sleds, not really my favorite.

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
I appreciate all the input. I am going to stay the course and wait on an Axys. It was my plan to put pistons and a 174 on my 12 pro this year then hand it down to my son next year and sell our 07 600.
I got to thinking about another pro when I came across that 15, 163x3 SLP stage 3 with 400 miles. Was thinking about 174ing it and putting the 163 on my 12 which already has a 3 under it. Then putting pro motion on it, turning it into a t3 lite. I am ashamed to say I rode a t3 174 and really liked it. Currently seeking therapy to overcome the weakness.
In the end it would be as much money as the new Axys, and not as good sled.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
I appreciate all the input. I am going to stay the course and wait on an Axys. It was my plan to put pistons and a 174 on my 12 pro this year then hand it down to my son next year and sell our 07 600.
I got to thinking about another pro when I came across that 15, 163x3 SLP stage 3 with 400 miles. Was thinking about 174ing it and putting the 163 on my 12 which already has a 3 under it. Then putting pro motion on it, turning it into a t3 lite. I am ashamed to say I rode a t3 174 and really liked it. Currently seeking therapy to overcome the weakness.
In the end it would be as much money as the new Axys, and not as good sled.

"IF" I rode a T3 "AND" liked it? I would not be here to type this, as I'd have extricated myself from the gene pool.

I feel the same way about Dodge, Yamaha, Arctic Cat, TimberSled, etc.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Rider skill, and the conditions you ride in, count, too. Even a boosted apex flops around in 2ft of pow. Well, make it 3ft.

After modding too many mt sleds over the past 20 years - getting a new, more capable sled is always cheaper, and usually close to just as fun. Short of boost, the return on the mods is pretty low, both $$$ and fun-wise. Modding it does make it yours. And it's harder to flip it to someone else without giving stuff away. But some of us can't resist.

A second year poo has always been better than the first year new model. It's true for most of the OEMs (for cat, it takes at least three years). Until it lands in the hands of the customer, and they make the first few thousand, the bugs just don't come out. If you can afford to wait, or don't have to have the latest/greatest, this is the year for you. If they hit a homer, buy a leftover 16. Or get a 17 that will undoubtedly be a more refined sled. Happens every time...

Last edited:

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
e
That's why I am therapy. One more electroshock and it will be ski what?

I rode the T3 174 for a day last year. I ordered the Axys Pro. However, the T3 is easy to ride and it is a tractor. I didn't care for the suspension or the way it lifted the front end but it was pretty amazing in some respects. I saw a short 120 lb. girl who couldn't get her Pro 600 on its side very well in heavy snow do it easily on the T3. She could also roll the T3 over on its side at a standstill and she could not do that with her 600. Part of that was the track, part was the t-motion and most of it was the 36" ski stance in my opinion. Put a 36" stance setup on a Pro and they roll over very easily too.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
e

I rode the T3 174 for a day last year. I ordered the Axys Pro. However, the T3 is easy to ride and it is a tractor. I didn't care for the suspension or the way it lifted the front end but it was pretty amazing in some respects. I saw a short 120 lb. girl who couldn't get her Pro 600 on its side very well in heavy snow do it easily on the T3. She could also roll the T3 over on its side at a standstill and she could not do that with her 600. Part of that was the track, part was the t-motion and most of it was the 36" ski stance in my opinion. Put a 36" stance setup on a Pro and they roll over very easily too.
Try a 36" front and a promotion, thing does it on its own

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
back to the topic... it's all about resale... and hopefully a more reliable 800 motor. I'd take a new technology stock sled with warranty for the same price as modded older model ALL DAY LONG even if they both had ZERO hours on them. There's just no reason to spend that much money on old tech, poor resale, and no warranty.

xmk1080

Lifetime Membership
Sep 23, 2008
e

Or just disconnect the sway bar, makes a huge difference!

xmk1080

Lifetime Membership
Sep 23, 2008
back to the topic... it's all about resale... and hopefully a more reliable 800 motor. I'd take a new technology stock sled with warranty for the same price as modded older model ALL DAY LONG even if they both had ZERO hours on them. There's just no reason to spend that much money on old tech, poor resale, and no warranty.

The way I look at it is that the axys chassis basically is a modded pro! Rolled chain case, raised chassis, raised running boards, a more tapered tunnel, Tunnel reinforcements, deeper lug lighter track, geared down, lighter weight and a lot more horsepower , not to mention all the other upgrades!

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
A couple places in canada that I talked to say 156-157hp. Up about 10-12hp. Depends who dynoed them. One shop I talked with dynoed all 3 2016 800. 16 cat 800 157hp. 16 doo 159hp. So it seams very close for hp between the 3 800 now.

xmk1080

Lifetime Membership
Sep 23, 2008
Rumor has it 165 hp once the rings are seated and the ecu is beyond break in mode, but I don't believe that! But I do believe that polaris and team do the best job at putting the horsepower to the ground! Plus the axys is running a straight angle helix and lower gearing in the rmk version, it should make for cooler clutch faces should run a lot cooler with a wider power band! I've never been this excited to ride a new sled :) And for the record....13 and on up polaris 800 motors have been very reliable and keep getting better, grooved pistons, better oiling, and tighter clearances! There is nothing that scares me about this first year model 16 pro but for maybe the delta 3 reeds!

Premium Features