• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Motor Break In

D
Oct 13, 2008
I see Polaris recommends breaking in the motor with the ves full synthetic oil. I know it is best and have always used regular mineral for break in, but will that actually void warranty if something were to go wrong. I am not really that worried about having a problem, but you never know. I will most likely remove the ves dealer filled oil tank with and put in regular oil in anyways. Just wondering what they would do in the event of an issue.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
The thing that I'm worried about ANY oil in a 2 stroke with a crankcase that is dry except for the oil in it... is that the oil can have issues flowing properly around inside the engine....if it is not doing that well.

2 stroke oil intended for premix or running in a crankcase with fuel moving around inside as well has a high probablily of not flowing properly in a "dry" case (one without fuel)

The CFI-2 engines in our ProRide and AXYS sleds do not have any gasoline in the crankcase... it is injected into the transfer port just as the piston uncovers the port window...

Now, more than ever, oil selection is key. Make sure you choose wisely.

S

Seeker

Jan 26, 2009
Western Colorado
I would highly recommend using the Polaris fully synthetic oil. If anything goes wrong with your motor and you are using something else they will likely blame it on the oil. Definitely go with what they tell you to use.

D
Oct 13, 2008
I would highly recommend using the Polaris fully synthetic oil. If anything goes wrong with your motor and you are using something else they will likely blame it on the oil. Definitely go with what they tell you to use.

Yea. MH's post leaned me back that way. Just that several reputable members on here and other forums say that the rings will not seat properly seat with synthetic oil

Pol600

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
2016 CFI-2 engine picture

Two things:

1. Regarding oiling of the bottom-end, what about the oil lines in the attached picture? Does this mitigate some concern?

2. I have a 2015 Rush 800 with over 1300 miles. On a day in the U.P., we put on over 300 miles. The oil light came on at ~240 miles (I topped off the oil that morning.) At the start of that day, the engine had 200 miles on it. Now that it is out of break-in, oil consumption is down considerably. I mixed 1 quart of Polaris semi-syn blue in the 2nd tank of gas, as it was ~15F that weekend and I knew we would be pushing it hard. I haven't had any RPM loss (8300 peak) or any issues. This is without tightening the belt yet.

1.jpg

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
The thing that I'm worried about ANY oil in a 2 stroke with a crankcase that is dry except for the oil in it... is that the oil can have issues flowing properly around inside the engine....if it is not doing that well.

2 stroke oil intended for premix or running in a crankcase with fuel moving around inside as well has a high probablily of not flowing properly in a "dry" case (one without fuel)

The CFI-2 engines in our ProRide and AXYS sleds do not have any gasoline in the crankcase... it is injected into the transfer port just as the piston uncovers the port window...

Now, more than ever, oil selection is key. Make sure you choose wisely.

If i recall in previous posts, you mentioned you use Legend ZX-2SR oil . .? Is that a mineral / synthetic blend? If so, I am wondering if that is a better option than a full synthetic for break in, and even going forward after break in.

Your thoughts . . .?

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
It's not the 80's anymore and high-end auto manufacturers have had motors factory filled with synthetic for almost 20 years now with no downsides. I wouldn't sweat the recommendations. Going outside the break-in recommendations could definitely affect your warranty by the book....whether or not they could ever pin it to that, prove it, and hold you to it is probably another story. I would be inclined to follow their advice, if you are on the fence.

D
Oct 13, 2008
It's not the 80's anymore and high-end auto manufacturers have had motors factory filled with synthetic for almost 20 years now with no downsides. I wouldn't sweat the recommendations. Going outside the break-in recommendations could definitely affect your warranty by the book....whether or not they could ever pin it to that, prove it, and hold you to it is probably another story. I would be inclined to follow their advice, if you are on the fence.

I hear ya. Sometimes there is too much information on these forums and it makes you second guess everything you thought you knew

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
If i recall in previous posts, you mentioned you use Legend ZX-2SR oil . .? Is that a mineral / synthetic blend? If so, I am wondering if that is a better option than a full synthetic for break in, and even going forward after break in.

Your thoughts . . .?

Legend is said to be 100% dino when you ask them. Low pour point, at least lowest I've seen for 2S dino. Take a look at their site for more marketing info.

http://www.legendperformance.com/products-page-2/2stroke/zx-2sr/

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
I presume that the Axys will be delivered with Polaris VES in it. However, I will run Redline when I fill it up. I have very good luck with Redline for a lot of years. No engine problems in all that time including one turbo other than the 08 Dragon having cylinder skirt issues. I don't think that you can blame that problem on oil. It was endemic on many of the Polaris 800 engines at the time.

D
Oct 13, 2008
I will be running a amsoil interceptor after break in. I have had very good results and very clean engines with it. To each his own. Was more of a mineral vs synthetic for break in question.

Premium Features