• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

155 v 163 3" track

rrjames

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2012
Missoula, MT
Looking to hear people's opininons on how a 155 three inch would compare to a 163 2.4 inch from the current RMK.

I have been riding 163's for the extra traction and float but I was thinking about shortening up with a three inch on the axys.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
My buddy has the identical sled as mine, but he's got a Dynoport pipe and can. He's got a STOCK 163. I've got a bone stock engine with a can and a 156x3.

He and I are the same weight. Except for his pipe, it's a VERY to an apples to apples comparison.

3" WINS EVERY TIME!!!!!!!

Hole shot, hill drags, track speed, highmark.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Sorry Scott...I don't normally disagree with you. But how can a 3" track have more track speed than a smaller lug track?

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Sorry Scott...I don't normally disagree with you. But how can a 3" track have more track speed than a smaller lug track?

Well, we are pretty equal in the speedo range. But I call that a win, since I've got more load on the engine with those 3" paddles.

Yeah, when we've climbed up a (SAFE!!) hill side by side, and we got to the bottom and talk about the speedo and tach numbers we saw while climbing, they are virtually the same.
For example, he says he was getting the same 43-45 I was getting. I call that a win because as for the speedo...remember I have 7t, 3.0 pitch drivers and he's got stock 8t, 2.86 pitch drivers. My speedo is off just a bit, right?

rrjames

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2012
Missoula, MT
My buddy has the identical sled as mine, but he's got a Dynoport pipe and can. He's got a STOCK 163. I've got a bone stock engine with a can and a 156x3.

He and I are the same weight. Except for his pipe, it's a VERY to an apples to apples comparison.

3" WINS EVERY TIME!!!!!!!

Hole shot, hill drags, track speed, highmark.

I was hoping you would weigh in. I remember chasing you up lolo las winter right after you put that on. I was blown away by what you were pulling. If it's the same buddy your talking about you guys were squaring off a bit that day. I still owe you $20 don't think I forgot. Let's go ride before the season ends.

But my main concern is if I go 155 instead of 163 3" I'll regret it I a bottomless day. That said we haven't had much of that this year. I guess I have till april 14 to decide.

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
After listening to the back and forth on the 3", I think to myself "It probably isnt that bad, just get a 3" and watch the temps" Then I remember....chaincase. Nope. I'll take the 2.6 and belt drive

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I was hoping you would weigh in. I remember chasing you up lolo las winter right after you put that on. I was blown away by what you were pulling. If it's the same buddy your talking about you guys were squaring off a bit that day. I still owe you $20 don't think I forgot. Let's go ride before the season ends.

But my main concern is if I go 155 instead of 163 3" I'll regret it I a bottomless day. That said we haven't had much of that this year. I guess I have till april 14 to decide.

$20?

Don't remember.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
A 155 and a 163 feel noticeably different, regardless of lug length. The 163 will been easier to not wash out on sidehills, and gives you a little more time to pick a line. The 155 feels more playful with more front end lift.

From what I have seen, given equal rider weight, in the snow around here, a 155 3" (have ridden some 156 X3's) would not outgun a 163 2.4 in deep snow, and the 163" would be an "easier" sled to ride. It just doesn't have the footprint. We are not talking night and day tho, and it really depends who's riding it. I ride with my buddy's 163 X3 Turbo Pro without issue on a stock 163 - I just have a little more experience which makes up for my lack of equipment.

I understand this is in contrast to Scott's findings - so if nothing else, that would indicate they are very close. I weigh about 210 in gym clothes - always have thought, if I weighed 180, I would ride a 155 and probably be equal in performance.

Last edited:

Wyorever

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW, WY
I'd take the 155X3 over the 163X2.6. The light front end is a blast to ride and the track gets you up on the snow so quick you don't notice the lack of length. A three inch track turns any sled into a tractor in the trees.

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
Lol I hate the term tractor. I think that most people who use that term to describe a sled have never actually operated one. The last thing I want my sled to feel like is a tractor. They are slow, heavy, and really not at all fun to ride lol

Last edited:

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Lol I hate the term tractor. I think that most people who use that term to describe a tractor have never actually operated one. The last thing I want my sled to feel like is a tractor. They are slow, heavy, and really not at all fun to ride lol

I think the same thing every time someone posts that up!

M

Mountain_Man

Apr 17, 2014
Western Montana
I guess the word tractor has different meanings to different people. A longer and/or deeper lug tract give a little more option to go a slower speed if needed or desired, but it doesn't mean you have to go slower. In fact, with the extra traction and floatation there will be times when the "tractor" can go faster than the other tracked sleds.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Hey Scott you rode the new 2.6 how well will it compare with your 3.0 on your sled? This new track leaves lots of questions on whether to go to 3 or not. I'm leaning towards 2.6 163. I'm about 250 geared up that why I like 163. I'm going to west for the expo maybe do a demo ride if there's any snow left.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Hey Scott you rode the new 2.6 how well will it compare with your 3.0 on your sled? This new track leaves lots of questions on whether to go to 3 or not. I'm leaning towards 2.6 163. I'm about 250 geared up that why I like 163. I'm going to west for the expo maybe do a demo ride if there's any snow left.

Hard to say exactly, but the 2.6 felt much more like the X3 track than the 2015 2.4".

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
And what I mean by that is better hookup, less track spin, slightly stiffer feeling lugs.

Wyorever

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW, WY
Lol I hate the term tractor. I think that most people who use that term to describe a sled have never actually operated one. The last thing I want my sled to feel like is a tractor. They are slow, heavy, and really not at all fun to ride lol

Never operated a tractor? Or never operated a 3"??

The term "tractor" was because it doesn't bog down, it just keeps going and going. I've had my 3" stuck good once this year and it was operator error lol.

Premium Features