• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

who's running a two stroke on snow ?

R

relentless rider

Jan 25, 2009
in the mountians western mt
Ive been out 6 times now in about every snow type and temperature, ive so far not had any carb icing , the pipe wrap lasted one ride than pulled it of , I couldnt tell a diff, once setting for a bet after riding it does acted 'loaded up'', just baap it a few times than go..off grabbing gears..
I have alot more fun on the two stroke than the 4s its like riding a wicked chain saw haha..
The 2 stroke makes you ride more aggressive, dont get me wrong you can still tat tat around , put more fun braap braaping..

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
yz notes

my pipe wrap steamed for first part of ride. But pipe wrap slipping on tappered cones, will tig weld some stops, cheap-0- used pipe, no particular goal with the pipe, just had good luck running these on other Kaw and Yam over the years. Used whole can of silicone spray on the 250 pipe, on my WR450 it was tits.
Poured it on the YZ250 but slippery nickle surface of the FMF the paint didn't stick the tape to the pipe like the Titanium coroded surface of my yz450 pipe on my wr.

Top end is mostly low compression gives over rev.
mx bikes make for ENTIRELY different power delivery goals from sno bikes.
mx power opposite of what I would want on sno bike. so will be working to find sum top end.

extra engine under bench, barrel a little rough, so thinking woop azz over bore, intimidated by all the mild 300's.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Awesome! Great work and eval. I have a customers 300 here that is all "moto" and scary on dirt. Ported, high comp, SX moto CDI etc. Parts arriving and will be doing the final testing and tuning for him before delivery. Super fun and capable bikes. Keep it up! I will post test and tune vid on the 300xc thread.

Last edited:
M
Feb 16, 2008
hey just to add, that if you run Maxima Castor 927 stroke oil, be careful, even the company claims its known to seperate at temps below40 degree's
I had a chain saw go up in smokle a few yrs back
and then after doing some reading and asking, I was told that was maybe why
as that is what I ran
all my MX bikes loved it and ran great, but I never ran them in winter
so ??
just a heads up

Last edited:

powderzone

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2013
Calgary
New guy here. Hey Sullcat, that video is of a couple of my riding partners down in Fernie, BC. I've got the same setup on a KTM 300 XC and it's amazing, light and very nimble!

powderzone

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2013
Calgary
^^^
Haha small world. Gee I wonder who Braaaap is? lol
Hey Clint I still owe you some beers for helping get my bike sorted.
Cheers,
Dave

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
found snow

We took our snowikes out to our favorite riding area in the Blackfoot east of Missoula toGold creek. Left the truck with 8" of snow on an old base of a couple frozen inches on road, then started picking up snow and encouraged for this time of year. Before long at 5500 ft or so it was handlebar deep trenching if you were boondocking........tough, got stuck twice, let off or hesitate, down you go.

Snow 99%
Fun factor 100 %
YZ250 66%

thermostat worked
carb heater seemed to work
jetting still not spot on
snorkel air intake only fair choking out
bike would not go through the deep deep stuff in tight trails
open field would fade and fade snorkle plugging.......... down like a sub and stuck

the KTM same kit same track simple FROGSKINZ filter frame cover, air intake worked and it would plow through the deep and pick speed when you found a little room. MY yz250 didn't work as well as my WR450 in this new sticky deep no base stuff. just not enough seemless torque and power delivery to maintain speed. I am certainly not dazzled.

when we dropped back down out of the blizzard and deep and played in couple foot of snow, yz250 ok, feels light and thats good, ski floats and thats good, but the zappy short burst power delivery makes it tough to start cutting the uphill bank and then power on through a sidehill. Hop on the ktm 450, yup just roll on through the chit cutting sidehills effortlessly.

the 1/2 pipe wearbar is for sure a plus. KTM has it, YZ doesn't, riding same trail swapping bikes, no brainer the more packed the trail better the 1/2 pipe works.

work in progress or...........might just pull out the wr450 and wait for spring to ride the YZ250.

dropped to lower sunny area for lunch and snap a few pictures , a few attached.
My pals have pictures of stuck and deep blizzard, I had no humor for picture taking then.

12 13 13 dan val bike sunny min trail.JPG 12 13 13 dan bike min trail suny.JPG 12 13 13 yz side shot lower min road.JPG 12 13 13 mike val knee deep snow suny good.JPG

Last edited:

Draxxus

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2009
vancouver
thx for the update , we just run a pod filter strainght off the carb/throttle body and havnt really had any bog issues. might want to try that over your intake contraption. good to hear the new skagg is a big improvment

Last edited:
Premium Features