• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

garret Turbo rebuild

philsummers21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Big Horns, Wyoming
Update incase anyone else reads this. The garret 2860 turbo is a ball bearing turbo, so in a sense it is not rebuildable. You can buy a center section for the turbo and just swap over your housings if they are not damaged. OR just buy a whole new turbo.

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
Phil,

Any Garrett distributor should be able to handle this for you. I use Turbo's Direct in Arizona when I have any issues.

they rebuilt mine after i had an oil pump go out. cheaper than a new center section. pretty quick turn around time (couple weeks iirc)

J

jwentzer

Mar 16, 2010
Colorado
How can you tell when your turbo is about to take a poop

From what I've seen...if you center section seals are toast, you will have coolant and turbo oil in your charge tube, which leads to your motor, which leads to a erradict running motor. You will definately know if you seals are gone. If your bearings and internals of your center section are shot, you will hear alot of noises coming from the turbo itself. Like ball bearings bouncing around in your turbo also metal grinding on metal.

J

jeepin270

Aug 27, 2009
Maine
My oil pump quit working on me last year. It was one of the napa pumps. Luckily I had a spare in the truck. I noticed fairly quickly because I have a oil presure gauge. This year I switched to the walbro aviation pump.

J

jwentzer

Mar 16, 2010
Colorado
Same here!

Walbro FRA-4 pump. My kit didn't come with one, it came with another type. I made the switch for piece of mind. Just do a simple google search and you will find it.

philsummers21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Big Horns, Wyoming
I went with a pump from cutler performance. They have used the same pump on there turbo kits for 9 years and have yet to have one fail. They said they have replaced quite a few of the BD pumps. Price was $180. BD wants like $375 for theres.

Premium Features