• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Comments on Powderlite's Exhaust on the Pro

R

Rms Rydning

Sep 30, 2006
North Norway
I Find your last two post Very hard to believe ! Good Day !
My buddys M8T I have helped with tuning/ modifying. Runns 15 psi 240hp messured in a dyno at sealevel, 25% 100LL 10:1 comp + A LOT of work done to it. Have a tread on the norwedian forum, you can see on some pics whats done with the sled..http://www.scooterforum.no/index.php?threads/my-toy-08-m8-bd-turbo.5964/page-7

At 15psi I could run long pulls 30sec- 1 min. But this is a sled that is put a lot of work to over several seasons.

Sunvang

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2010
Norway
This is my sled last year, had almost nothing but problems, and ended up removing the kit from my sled and turning it back to stock.

Got some help from Justin, but nothing that seemed to help my problem. And eventually I didnt get any more responses from him regarding my problems. Several other turbo guys tryed to help me, but no one could figure it out. Did also do a complete tear down on the kit and installed it again, but to no help.

http://youtu.be/h660l5tqHcY

adam5187

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2009
Did you ever find out what was causing the det, or did you go with a different turbo setup?

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
My buddys M8T I have helped with tuning/ modifying. Runns 15 psi 240hp messured in a dyno at sealevel, 25% 100LL 10:1 comp + A LOT of work done to it.

so your at sea level, m8 is making roughly 160 hp to start, now your up to 240, so 80hp/15# boost. = 5.3 HP/PSI boost. good work, that thing kicks ***. back to talking about things that actually work properly.:face-icon-small-con

FYI, dropping tons of compression, yanking tons of timing, etc may up the boost you can run on pump gas, doesnt mean its gonna make you any more HP.

adam5187

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2009
That sucks you couldnt make it work. That boondocker kit looks pretty sweet though. Hope it rips good for you. One of the guys I ride with ordered a boondocker kit for his 12 so it should be a fun year for comparisons.

R

Rms Rydning

Sep 30, 2006
North Norway
Ski-doiin it:This is actual hp on a 08 M8T that could run very long pulls at sealevel, not corrected ( false) hp at hige altitude!
And If you know how a turboed 2 stroke works, you know that you never get the same hp/psi as in a 4 stroke because there is not any intake or exhaust valves that is opening/closing in the right time..We have been asking around on diffrent forums and not heard any that have got more power in a M8 with a GT28RS turbo.. If I had used a bigger turbo or a dragrace tuning we could get much higer numbers, but way down on responce.. This is a mountain sled with very good drivability..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GtuFUN3hmk&feature=g-crec-u

B

Boyko

Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
Ski-doiin it:This is actual hp on a 08 M8T that could run very long pulls at sealevel, not corrected ( false) hp at hige altitude!
And If you know how a turboed 2 stroke works, you know that you never get the same hp/psi as in a 4 stroke because there is not any intake or exhaust valves that is opening/closing in the right time..We have been asking around on diffrent forums and not heard any that have got more power in a M8 with a GT28RS turbo.. If I had used a bigger turbo or a dragrace tuning we could get much higer numbers, but way down on responce.. This is a mountain sled with very good drivability..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GtuFUN3hmk&feature=g-crec-u

A well set up kit should be 220 hp at 8 psi on a M-8, running the boost up with a small turbo on a 2-smoker is not cool. No point in running over 10psi with a 2860 garrett on a 800. What did you say abour running 25psi on av fuel? You got a lot to learn yet, but we all do.

Last edited:

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
This is a mountain sled with very good drivability..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GtuFUN3hmk&feature=g-crec-u

Yeah it only misfired a couple times and goated once in a 15 second climb.... 14# at sealevel with a 153 and the ski's dont come out of the snow. keep up the good work. Try a 3071 at least, thank me later. you should be just about doubled stock HP at 15#.... not 240.:sorry:

these are the people judging your downpipe silber, i wouldnt worry to much.

R

Rms Rydning

Sep 30, 2006
North Norway
A well set up kit should be 220 hp at 8 psi on a M-8, running the boost up with a small turbo on a 2-smoker is not cool. No point in running over 10psi with a 2860 garrett on a 800. What did you say abour running 25psi on av fuel? You got a lot to learn yet, but we all do.
You are talking about corrected hp. Remember that when at 10000ft you are at much lower actual hp and at higer degree of work of the 28rs. There are drag people running 25psi with lower otcane than Avgas.. But of course with a very develped engine with big turbo.

R

Rms Rydning

Sep 30, 2006
North Norway
Yeah it only misfired a couple times and goated once in a 15 second climb.... 14# at sealevel with a 153 and the ski's dont come out of the snow. keep up the good work. Try a 3071 at least, thank me later. you should be just about doubled stock HP at 15#.... not 240.:sorry:

these are the people judging your downpipe silber, i wouldnt worry to much.
Try to do this your self at your altitude, then come try this at sealevel and it gets much harder. It require a lot of work/ tuning to get the engine to last here here at higer actual HP. I know the 28rs is very smal in a 2 stroke for this hp, but this is whats max on the 28rs for mountain riding.. If running 10-12 psi the engine runs much smoother, at 14-15 psi we have to use very rich mixture to get the engine to survive and then its very hard to get it tu run clean all the time. At belowe 10psi there is no problem to tune the engine at all. It was pretty strange that Sunvang could not get his Silber kit running ok at very low 5psi.

B

Boyko

Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
You are talking about corrected hp. Remember that when at 10000ft you are at much lower actual hp and at higer degree of work of the 28rs. There are drag people running 25psi with lower otcane than Avgas.. But of course with a very develped engine with big turbo.

On A M-8 a well setup kit should get 220 hp at sea level, uncorrected with 8 pounds of boost. I know about correcting hp on a dyno, on my dyno I have 3 different SAE correction factors I can pick from (dyno is not for sleds). None of which I believe are fair for a boosted application nor do I know of any correction factor that accounts for boost.

When I ride from 2400 to 8000 feet I have to add 2 pounds of boost to make up for lost HP and get my sled back to it's targeted rpm

When you are going from 10 to 15 pounds of boost how much more clutch weight do you have to add?

It sucks you can not get good fuel there, running 25 pounds of boost on AV fuel is messed up, there is no way you will see a good gain with it.

Last edited:
R

Rms Rydning

Sep 30, 2006
North Norway
On A M-8 a well setup kit should get 220 hp at sea level, uncorrected with 8 pounds of boost. I know about correcting hp on a dyno, on my dyno I have 3 different SAE correction factors I can pick from (dyno is not for sleds). None of which I believe are fair for a boosted application nor do I know of any correction factor that accounts for boost.

When I ride from 2400 to 8000 feet I have to add 2 pounds of boost to make up for lost HP and get my sled back to it's targeted rpm

When you are going from 10 to 15 pounds of boost how much more clutch weight do you have to add?

It sucks you can not get good fuel there, running 25 pounds of boost on AV fuel is messed up, there is no way you will see a good gain with it.

Should?... Have you put it in a dyno, then you see the result. You never get the same hp increase in a 2 stroke as you do on a 4 stroke. There is a lot of people here that have dynoed M8T and everybody gets disepointed how much boost they need to get 200hp. Need 10 psi to it above 200hp mark on a stock M8 engine with 28rs turbo. I have seen dynoruns from higer altitude, the higer they go the higer corrected hp tghey get..

10 psi is where the M8 is working best for the boost money and safety here..I gess it was 250prm diffrence on 12 psi to 14 psi with the same weights..
The increase above 10 psi much less, 15 psi is only to get whats max usable on this 28rs.. I will go for a bigger turbo next time with more lag ;-)

25psi is to get MAX on a dragsled, using NOS to get the big turbo to beginn spinning..

Anyway at altitude it seams like the Silber is working ok for the money.
At sea level we have always had a lot of problem bying turbo kits, pipes, bigbore and other tuning parts if they where only developed at hige altitudes..Even ported/piped sled at sealevel I have had to lower the compression to get it work without detonation on long pulls..

B

Boyko

Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
Should?... Have you put it in a dyno, then you see the result. You never get the same hp increase in a 2 stroke as you do on a 4 stroke. There is a lot of people here that have dynoed M8T and everybody gets disepointed how much boost they need to get 200hp. Need 10 psi to it above 200hp mark on a stock M8 engine with 28rs turbo. I have seen dynoruns from higer altitude, the higer they go the higer corrected hp tghey get..

10 psi is where the M8 is working best for the boost money and safety here..I gess it was 250prm diffrence on 12 psi to 14 psi with the same weights..
The increase above 10 psi much less, 15 psi is only to get whats max usable on this 28rs.. I will go for a bigger turbo next time with more lag ;-)

25psi is to get MAX on a dragsled, using NOS to get the big turbo to beginn spinning..

Anyway at altitude it seams like the Silber is working ok for the money.
At sea level we have always had a lot of problem bying turbo kits, pipes, bigbore and other tuning parts if they where only developed at hige altitudes..Even ported/piped sled at sealevel I have had to lower the compression to get it work without detonation on long pulls..

You can see close to the same gains with a good system. Why wouldn't you? Don’t say because it doesn't have valves like a 2-stroke, that is just ignorant. You need to provides the right amount of chilled air flow to the proper amount of back pressure in the exhaust and correct port timing. You cant run a late flame front, Octane has to be there.

Your contradicting yourself, you say good gains with boost are not possible yet you state that your seeing a 250 rpm jump from just 2 psi.

I have a m-1000 that tosses 291 grams of clutch weights @ 7psi 2400 feet 7800 rpm, that’s with a really aggressive helix as well

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
that is just ignorant.

lol thats what im saying... these huge boost numbers on pump gas/av gas are because they are running the things so rich they could never det!! no wonder they arent making any power.

you guys are going about this stuff ALL wrong. high boost/super rich with low octane = crappy power, poor fuel economy, and LAGGGG even with a small turbo. Step up to a something in the 30 series range, turn down the boost to 4-5#, run it at even 12.5 WOT and the gas to keep it from detonating, i bet you get over 200... and your lag gets better, and you arent wasting fuel.

If you do a good job and install a real turbo, and tune for correct afr, you can pull the same clutching at 8# of boost as your running at 14# right now. if you do a real good job im betting 6# is possible.

Premium Features