• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Intermittent rpm loss

T

theUltamateTBM

Feb 20, 2008
I am have an issue with random rpm loss on long pulls or back to back pulls on a 13 m8 I had the issue last year and found a bad roller in primary so this year I put a new primary on and am still getting the same results. I have a full slp pipe and a tki belt drive at a 2.52 ratio with a 153 2.6 also running mds weights and a team tied setup I generally ride around 5k ft any input would really help

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho
Are you running 084 or 083 belt? I struggled getting consistent rpms with the 084. Easier to blow the 083 however!

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
You need more backshift pressure to keep Rs when the clutching gets hot & belts get sticky. You will typically increase the spring tension/rate a bit or move to a more aggressive helix. You also need to look at your Rs. I have found that one key to hitting Rs all day, hot or cold clutching, is to target peak RPMs just above peak HP for your set-up...that way when it loads up, you are dropping into more power, not less...and falling off the pipe is less likely.

armey37

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 30, 2008
Richland,WA
Same with mine on long hard deep powder pulls. I just switch to Speedwerx 170/270 and hoping that will help. Also lighten my Mds weights. Do you have extra venting?

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
You need more backshift pressure to keep Rs when the clutching gets hot & belts get sticky. You will typically increase the spring tension/rate a bit or move to a more aggressive helix.

you mean less aggressive helix- shallower angle right? thats what i was thinking anyway.
might be worth trying the 083 belt tho. ive been back and forth on mine, and notice a little more rpm with the 083, but it makes a bit more mess under the hood as it wears faster. good luck!

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
I meant more aggressive in that it applies more spring and helix pressure to keep the sheaves from opening up as easily and backshifts more aggressively...so yes, less helix angle.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
smaller number the better on the secondaries i been around, if youre having sluggish backshifting, and sounds like you are. also straight cut helix will backshift more consistently.

Premium Features