• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Search and rescue?

S
Apr 12, 2008
Wellsville, UT
#1 03-02-2009, 09:12 AM
sled175
Junior Member Join Date: Apr 2008

For hel! Sakes this avalanche crap!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How do you get involved with search and rescue? I was a mile away from the ER saturday, the chopper took off and from my angle it looked like it was goin up prov canyon, where my brothers and alot of buddies were riding. I'm out for the year otherwise i would have been up there also. I found myself running for the truck, texting the gf to find a ride (she was getting her nails done) to get my sled and get my arse up there. I was one of the one's involved on the Dec 23 avalanche, buried two high school buddy's they didn't make it. That changed alot of stuff for alot of us.

Come to find out the chopper that took off was not goin to prov but was another buddy's 2 year old little boy with severe Pneumonia, flew him primary children's. doc's went in with emergency surgery to put a draining tube in, drained 16 ounces. He was running on one lung for a couple days. Tough little sh!t. He's not outa the woods yet he's in ICU. Love you Kris pull therw bud!

To add to this my Dad had a Heart Attack at 53 healthy as a horse, 3 weeks ago Friday the 13th, At a hospital thank God, 4 Bypasses's. Pretty sure he'll pull threw!

Haha then on Monday the 16 haha it's not funny but it is. My Grandparents house burnt down at 3 a.m. in the best snow storm we have had in years!
My Grandpa was up at 2 30 worried about the smell of smoke, seen the fire and woke my Grandma up and said get the he!l outa here! They made it out and the fire man saved the majority of the house!

Any who Search and Rescue? I'm 22, Think i have alot to offer!
Thanks for reading my rant the avy crap is bull shi%!

Thank all of you that are on
Search and Rescue!
Life flight!
Sherrif's!
Game Wardons!
Firemen!
Emt's!
Doctors!
Nurse's!
Rmsha!
Every one that is involved!

sled175
View Public Profile
Send a private message to sled175
Find all posts by sled175
Add sled175 to Your Contacts

#2 03-02-2009, 09:25 AM
dagmccall
Junior Member Join Date: Jan 2008

sar

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Best place to find your local sar is thru the county sheriff . Here in idaho all groups work under the sheriff I belive its the same in utah . I been on the valley county team for 12 years its the best thing I ever done.If you where here we would sign you up today. Always looking for more members if any would like to join us in valley county send me a email dag57@frontiernet.net or call Don at 208-634-3042 Thanks

dagmccall
View Public Profile
Send a private message to dagmccall
Send email to dagmccall
Find all posts by dagmccall
Add dagmccall to Your Contacts

#3 Yesterday, 10:07 PM
m_beeson
Senior Member Join Date: Jul 2008

It does fall under the Sheriff's juristiction. You need to go to the Sheriff's Department.

http://www.avalanche.org/
Watch the "Know Before You Go" Video

m_beeson
View Public Profile
Send a private message to m_beeson
Send email to m_beeson
Find all posts by m_beeson
Add m_beeson to Your Contacts

#4 Today, 04:00 PM
sled175

Iv'e got all the paper work, I'm just wondering why they only Have 32 Spots on the team and why only 7 assosciate spots in Cache Valley. Ya'd think they'd want as many as would volenteer?

M
Jul 3, 2008
Utah
#1 03-02-2009, 09:12 AM
sled175

For hel! Sakes this avalanche crap!

How do you get involved with search and rescue? I was a mile away from the ER saturday, the chopper took off and from my angle it looked like it was goin up prov canyon, where my brothers and alot of buddies were riding. I'm out for the year otherwise i would have been up there also. I found myself running for the truck, texting the gf to find a ride (she was getting her nails done) to get my sled and get my arse up there. I was one of the one's involved on the Dec 23 avalanche, buried two high school buddy's they didn't make it. That changed alot of stuff for alot of us.

Come to find out the chopper that took off was not goin to prov but was another buddy's 2 year old little boy with severe Pneumonia, flew him primary children's. doc's went in with emergency surgery to put a draining tube in, drained 16 ounces. He was running on one lung for a couple days. Tough little sh!t. He's not outa the woods yet he's in ICU. Love you Kris pull therw bud!

To add to this my Dad had a Heart Attack at 53 healthy as a horse, 3 weeks ago Friday the 13th, At a hospital thank God, 4 Bypasses's. Pretty sure he'll pull threw!

Haha then on Monday the 16 haha it's not funny but it is. My Grandparents house burnt down at 3 a.m. in the best snow storm we have had in years!
My Grandpa was up at 2 30 worried about the smell of smoke, seen the fire and woke my Grandma up and said get the he!l outa here! They made it out and the fire man saved the majority of the house!

Any who Search and Rescue? I'm 22, Think i have alot to offer!
Thanks for reading my rant the avy crap is bull shi%!

Thank all of you that are on
Search and Rescue!
Life flight!
Sherrif's!
Game Wardons!
Firemen!
Emt's!
Doctors!
Nurse's!
Rmsha!
Every one that is involved!

sled175
View Public Profile
Send a private message to sled175
Find all posts by sled175
Add sled175 to Your Contacts

#2 03-02-2009, 09:25 AM
dagmccall
Junior Member Join Date: Jan 2008

sar

Best place to find your local sar is thru the county sheriff . Here in idaho all groups work under the sheriff I belive its the same in utah . I been on the valley county team for 12 years its the best thing I ever done.If you where here we would sign you up today. Always looking for more members if any would like to join us in valley county send me a email dag57@frontiernet.net or call Don at 208-634-3042 Thanks

dagmccall
View Public Profile
Send a private message to dagmccall
Send email to dagmccall
Find all posts by dagmccall
Add dagmccall to Your Contacts

#3 Yesterday, 10:07 PM
m_beeson
Senior Member Join Date: Jul 2008

It does fall under the Sheriff's juristiction. You need to go to the Sheriff's Department.

http://www.avalanche.org/
Watch the "Know Before You Go" Video

m_beeson
View Public Profile
Send a private message to m_beeson
Send email to m_beeson
Find all posts by m_beeson
Add m_beeson to Your Contacts

#4 Today, 04:00 PM
sled175

Iv'e got all the paper work, I'm just wondering why they only Have 32 Spots on the team and why only 7 assosciate spots in Cache Valley. Ya'd think they'd want as many as would volenteer?

ya, I was kind of surprised about that too. I didn't go any further than that since they weren't looking for any more volunteers at the time.

M
Jul 3, 2008
Utah
This is off the topic of S&R, but a few years ago I wanted to spend my christmas by helping the homeless. I called the local orginizations who were going on-site, and feeding the homeless. When I tried to volunteer, they wouldn't take me. They said they had enough help, and didn't need any more. So I stayed in my warm home and just enjoyed my Christmas like I alwayse have.

S
Apr 12, 2008
Wellsville, UT
Well when all my family, buddies, fellow snowester's:beer; are up there and something goes south I'd like to be up there to help in anyway. I can be to the parking lot in 10 -15 min if i am at home. 30 min if I'm out dick!n off. If i can beat the Sheriff to the canyon I'm in, but if not the road gets closed. So they can set up command. then it take's bout 45 min to go up the back way and about an hour ride to get to where stuff is likely to happen...

Premium Features