• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

First Ride - Impressions

T

thejean

Jan 17, 2013
Some simple observations after my first ride today in Corbin, BC:
1. Calling the 6" ski 'darty' is a gross understatement. It is downright petrifying! Once I got the nerve to go a bit faster on the tight trail, it got better, but it was still bloody scary and hard to manage at times.
2. 45 minutes in whoops sucks.
3. This is the most exhausting thing I have ever done. I'm not sure my arms will recover.
4. Once you get in the fresh pow these things become very easy to handle.
5. I need the new ski.
6. Had a blast!!

JC

P

PalousePoo

Nov 26, 2007
Farmington, Wash.
Sounds like you have a lot of trail to ride to get to riding areas? Never rode in BC but my friend tells me its like that up there.

U

upfront719

Sep 5, 2010
Cadillac, MI
The new ski will help a ton! Also, learn to hold on by squeezing the tank your legs........it will save your forearms.

We run trails in MI to get to some play areas, the trail riding can suck but its all worth it when you get off trail. Stick with it, you wont regret it!

T

thejean

Jan 17, 2013
Yeah, after getting beat up in the whoops and fighting the ski for over a half hour and dumping the bike for the 5th time I was ready to call it quits, turn around and head back to the truck. I was completely spent. But a fellow rider implored me to keep going and boy was I glad I did. Once we got out into the open bowls it incredibly easy to ride and was absolutely fantastic! It also gave me a chance to really gain some confidence and keep the speed up and figure out the handling dynamics. Within minutes I was climbing smallish hills and weaving around trees and such. Amazing stuff. On the way back down the trail I kept the speed higher and the ski tamed down a lot and I was able to get down with wiping out even once. I also was able to go fast enough to even start skipping over some of the whoops. In the end, definitely worth it and I am keeping the kit for sure. And I will also add that this is the best workout my body has ever had. Two days later and my arms are still crazy sore! But again, well worth it!! :D

JC

T

thejean

Jan 17, 2013
Sounds like you have a lot of trail to ride to get to riding areas? Never rode in BC but my friend tells me its like that up there.

That time I quoted is probably more like 15 mins for experienced riders. I was SLOW! Lol

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
With the new ski you will be at the top of 5th gear looking for 6th. Hell, I have fun on the trail now jumping through whoops and blowing past sleds.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Yeah, after getting beat up in the whoops and fighting the ski for over a half hour and dumping the bike for the 5th time I was ready to call it quits, turn around and head back to the truck. I was completely spent. But a fellow rider implored me to keep going and boy was I glad I did. Once we got out into the open bowls it incredibly easy to ride and was absolutely fantastic! It also gave me a chance to really gain some confidence and keep the speed up and figure out the handling dynamics. Within minutes I was climbing smallish hills and weaving around trees and such. Amazing stuff. On the way back down the trail I kept the speed higher and the ski tamed down a lot and I was able to get down with wiping out even once. I also was able to go fast enough to even start skipping over some of the whoops. In the end, definitely worth it and I am keeping the kit for sure. And I will also add that this is the best workout my body has ever had. Two days later and my arms are still crazy sore! But again, well worth it!! :D

JC
I am always sore from digging out my sleding buddys that try to follow the snowbikes:D

B
Feb 25, 2013
Those arn't friends, just users.

Friends follow you everywhere and back you up in the worst odds.:face-icon-small-blu

I guess that works both ways though, help them by delegating where to dig and how to lift, one, two, heve HO! Offer to be the guy who straddles the snowmobile and thumbs the throttle while two of them pull the two skis, slowly their focus will be on the single ski.:camera:

R
Nov 26, 2007
Saskatchewan
When I rode my sled with 2 of my buddies on their snowbikes I had a tough time keeping up to them on the trail. They can fly. I rode the bikes on the trail for a bit and they are darty for sure but I think you get used to it and learn to relax and then it becomes easier. Its like a riding a sled for the first time, You're hanging on for dear life but once you learn to just relax it gets way easier and you dont get sore.

Premium Features