• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Non blow belt life.

rmk all the way

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Dayton Wa
So after 980 not so nice miles on my original belt I noticed some glazing on it. I’m probably going to replace it before it blows up, and probably get a little performance back. but how does everyone decide if there going to replace there belt, run it tell it blows, after x amount of miles, so much stretching?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
J
Mar 10, 2017
Eastern Idaho
So after 980 not so nice miles on my original belt...

That is better than most for a belt on an 850. I' pretty light so I hope I get that many miles out of my belts.

Today, my buddy had a belt start failing, we were "headed out" going downhill at the end of the day and the outside of the belt started falling apart, we were in deep snow for most of the day, odd that it started failing going downhill, 500 miles on the belt, he does weight close to 300 pounds.

rmk all the way

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Dayton Wa
That is better than most for a belt on an 850. I' pretty light so I hope I get that many miles out of my belts.

Today, my buddy had a belt start failing, we were "headed out" going downhill at the end of the day and the outside of the belt started falling apart, we were in deep snow for most of the day, odd that it started failing going downhill, 500 miles on the belt, he does weight close to 300 pounds.

I’m 6’ and maybe 200 lbs with gear. I also cut bottom of clutch cover from day 1 and put 30 easy miles the first day out to break in the belt. On deep days I open the side panel if I know I’ll be stoped for more then 2 minutes to help cool it back down

M
Jan 26, 2013
No one seems to read the question, I would also like to hear opions on this. I don't have a belt eater but I swap out when belt has lost a noticeable amount of width and deflection has been adjusted numerous times. Save for spare (seasoned belt I can just rip on without worry). Jmo

J

jskattum606

Dec 3, 2007
Bozeman, MT
Belts usually start to separate around the cords in the center of the belt. I do not like running them till they blow, as it is hard stuff and makes a mess. Once you start to see them separating or pull a thread, Time to replace

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
I use a dial caliper and measure the width, once it gets down to 1.4" it's time for the rocking chair. I'm different than most on here, I've had good luck with belts since the 377 came out to current. I've wore out more belts than I've blown... Do I ride like a Mary? I don't think so, I adjust my running time to conditions, If I know I'm working my clutches hard, I'll stop more often and open that panel for a few moments... has worked for me anyways, over the years

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
So after 980 not so nice miles on my original belt I noticed some glazing on it. I’m probably going to replace it before it blows up, and probably get a little performance back. but how does everyone decide if there going to replace there belt, run it tell it blows, after x amount of miles, so much stretching?

If you cannot adjust deflection correctly, time to change it. I wore out several Doo belts last year all around 200 miles. The only belt I blew was a Gates. It came apart partially. Not completely.

rmk all the way

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Dayton Wa
Belts usually start to separate around the cords in the center of the belt. I do not like running them till they blow, as it is hard stuff and makes a mess. Once you start to see them separating or pull a thread, Time to replace

I’m with you about not running the belts tell they blow, the few people I’ve talked to with broken cranks all had blown a lot of belts. Lots of stress going from full load to free spinning

Premium Features