• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need help with freestyle, won't start

B
Nov 28, 2007
Got tired of pulling it since the battery was dead. It wouldn't hold a charge so I pulled the battery out. I bought a new battery and used the old for a core charge. Old battery had a melted area on the top corner close to the positive terminal. With the new battery in, I've tried starting it a number of times with the starter, to no avail. There's fuel in it and the two fusses on top of the battery look fine. Looking for some help of what else to check.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
May want to be more descriptive. Are you saying it won't fire at all or it only runs when pull starting?
I'm assuming it turns over and just doesn't light off.
Check for spark first. Pull plug/wire and ground out the plug. Try to start, see if plug has spark.
If not, possible problems, loose plug wire or cap. Kill switch or tether switch off. Short in wiring from kill switches.
If has spark then must not have fuel. Plugs not getting wet?
Not sure there, if they are efi or carb.

Last edited:

H1Pilot

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
You said the battery was melted near the positive terminal...That is near the exhaust can. We completely melted the battery and side panel because the sled was running so lean that it heated the pipe enough to melt everything around it. Luckily the engine was unharmed. You should check your cylinder and also check to see what jetting is being run.

2013-02-15_16-32-57_803.jpg

Premium Features