• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

aerocharger pros/cons

J
Jan 20, 2009
Northern Utah
I have an Aero53 setup by TurboDoc Steve Packer. Just like the previous posts, reliability is as it should be if you don't go past the design limits. Steve is very knowledgeable about the art of turbo, and happy to share his knowledge just for the asking. Anyone that questions the price for turbo parts and internals probably needs a lesson in metallurgy and forced induction engineering, its not chinese steel.

S

super swede

Nov 26, 2007
rebuild 53 series

Variable the price to do a rebuild seems better now.
What about bearings is there only two diferent size balls
and would they come with new outer races?
and what would the bearing asembly cost?
thanks
Jonny

Dec 1, 2007
I have an Aero53 setup by TurboDoc Steve Packer. Just like the previous posts, reliability is as it should be if you don't go past the design limits. Steve is very knowledgeable about the art of turbo, and happy to share his knowledge just for the asking. Anyone that questions the price for turbo parts and internals probably needs a lesson in metallurgy and forced induction engineering, its not chinese steel.
I just happen to have some metallurgy classes. Being a machinist by trade metallurgy was a required course when i went to school. Since you seem to know so much about the subject though, why don't you enlighten all of us on the topic. What exactly are the turbine wheel and vanes made of to justify the $1100 plus price tag your pal Turbo doc used to charge for repair that Variable says would be around $600-$770 for now? Also what changed material wise that they can charge less? Do you think that now they are using chinese metal to be almost half the previous cost? I look forward to your "lesson". BTW, when a person snags a ring on an exhaust port and it goes through the turbo, that has absolutely nothing to do with going past the design limits of the turbo. That is out of anyone's control unless you have the aerosafe screen in, which then limits the amount of boost you can make because of the restriction it causes in the exhaust inlet side of the turbo.

Dec 1, 2007
Variable, your prices seem very fair. That's good to hear. I think that should make people take a second look now when choosing a turbo, since i've read in the past that people's main concerns were down time due to parts not being readily available and one person doing repairs and cost of repair. Again it seems things have turned 180* in that aspect.

V
What about bearings is there only two diferent size balls
and would they come with new outer races?
and what would the bearing asembly cost?
thanks
Jonny

There are actually about ten different sizes. How the bearing assemblies are rebuilt is mainly based upon clearance. The clearance between the ball and race is far less than a thousandth of an inch. To preserve this tolerance different sized balls or races may need to be matched to eachother in a rebuild. The inner race is the shaft, which most people would prefer not to replace if they are simply having the bearing assembly rebuilt. So to answer your question yes, usually everything but the shaft itself is replaced in a rebuild.

To rebuild a complete bearing assembly with new parts, matching, tolerancing, etc. can cost up to $600

Premium Features