• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

rust on m7 pipe

C
Jan 4, 2008
preston id
my m7 has alot of rust on the pipe. earlier this season i took it off and used a wire brush and got as much rust as i could off and painted it with high heat paint but now the rust is back and even worse. anyone have any ideas? has anyone had theirs ceramic coated?

S
Dec 11, 2007
The only paint that I have found that holds up is VHT, and is rated to 2000 F. Go to PJ1.com and click VHT. This stuff is amazing for a simple spray bomb. I've tested this for two seasons on a modified M7 and and it still looks good even on the Y pipe. Good luck, Skid

B

bullfrog123

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 10, 2008
Ashton, Idaho
DON'T powder coat it!!! I tried and it just burns and smokes like a dirty mother, and that was just the outer cover on a stock pipe. Powder can't hold up to the heat. Looked awesome for a day. Get is ceramic coated.

J

JasonAK

Dec 5, 2007
You can buy ceramic high temp paint at napa. I belive it is good to 1500 degrees. You must prep it right so it will las a few seasons.

Sunridge Sledhead

Lifetime Membership
Apr 17, 2002
Star Valley, Wyoming
I've found that the heat rating on the paint needs to be 2000 degrees or it will peel off. I've tried paints rated at 1500 and 1750 and they didn't last very long.

S
Dec 11, 2007
Sunridge, you are 100% correct. I've tried many different brands with out any luck. Temp. rating is the key. VHT is awsome stuff, just remember to have your pipe sandblasted or sanded extremely well prior to painting, otherwise the old paint will lift off the new.

T

trencher

Nov 28, 2007
Missoula
If you can afoard it get it powder coated.Do it. Holds the heat in the pipe. Heat in pipe helps the motor run properly.Done right it will last for the longest time.

B

bullfrog123

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 10, 2008
Ashton, Idaho
Hey trencher. Did you read the entire thread? I do powder coating and even the high temp powders will only withstand up to 1000 degrees f. www.eastwoodco.com #10326. Read the specs on powder coat vs, ceramic coats.

Standard powders normally can only withstand up to 6-800 degrees before blistering and burning occur. When that happens, DON"T be behind that sled!!!!!!! It smokes like the sled is on fire. Don't believe me? I'll have my wife respond to you. She still cusses me for doing this to her sled.

Use the appropriate finish, parts, etc. for each job at hand. DON'T halfa$$ it and try to get away with it.

B
Oct 31, 2006
Bass Lake, CA
When you remove rust, remember that rust is like cancer. If you leave even a small spot of rust on the pipe, it will continue to grow underneath the high heat paint you apply, and eventually cause that paint film to fail. You will then get blistering, and peeling. Like with any kind of painting job, SURFACE PREP is the key!
2 cents from this hardware guy!

Premium Features