• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Buying a used turbo

S
Nov 26, 2007
FU
what kit?
who did the install?

if it's a nytro i think the only thing i would be scared of is an MPI SC or a BD Turbo. IMO all the other kits are great.

P
Jan 2, 2008
Basiically I am asking any general kit, Alpine, MXC, etc. If someone has a used one for sale, what things should a guy keep an eye for (ie: bad brgs, fin damaged, bad cooler etc.

S
Oct 8, 2008
For sure not MPI SC or a BD on apex or nytro from what I have seen. One other thing is check for blow by, and like the other fellow said who did the install is very imporant. Best of luck.

E

Extreme-One

Nov 26, 2007
Meridian, ID
What's wrong with a BD kit? First hand experience of a BD on a 07 Apex with over 3500 miles and not a hiccup. It's still on the original BD box, I guess it has had one impeller replaced due to water and ice dropping through it.

I'd say... look who installed it and what preventive maintenance was done during it's life.

P
Jan 2, 2008
My plan is to put a turbo on a 2010' Nytro MTX 153". And wanted to see the good and the bad comments on buying a used turbo. Thanks Sylvan , sled struck, thats the kind of info I am interested in. Keep it coming.

H

Hrt Offroad

Nov 3, 2008
Okotoks, Alberta Canada
My plan is to put a turbo on a 2010' Nytro MTX 153". And wanted to see the good and the bad comments on buying a used turbo. Thanks Sylvan , sled struck, thats the kind of info I am interested in. Keep it coming.

If you're going to be putting a Turbo on a 2010...I would opt to go with the 162.
I just swapped out my 153 for a 162...and it makes a huge difference in performance and doesn't really feel any longer!!

S
Oct 8, 2008
The easy way to check for to much blow by is just look at the breather tube a see if there is alot of oil has came out a little is normal. On a nytro my buddy has Powderlites and loves it he did have some little issues to start but
he replaced the cheap china fuel pressure reg and boost controller out for some good ones and that took away all the trouble and he is very happy dealing with dave and darrin at PLs, I think Dave is very smart but just kinda cheaped out on those couple parts, If you want pm me and I can get you buddys # to talk to him if you like.

P
Jan 2, 2008
Thanks off road, so it's make that much difference you say..interesting. But I guess if was putting a turbo on I would want a bigger track because it will have the power to spin it, among other things. I know a few of you are thinking why would anybody put a used turbo on a brand new sled...but sometims you knid find some good deals on a barely used one. But more so I will opt for a new one, cause you know exactly what you are getting, plus you can get service behind it. It will boil down between PLS, MCX. Just have to find who has the best customer service.

Premium Features