• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sled comparision. 02 800 Edge vs 07+600 RMK?

S
Jul 7, 2001
Kent WA
My riding style has changed from hard riding on modded out 800 triples to a semi-modded 02 800 Edge. I seldom if ever even push the 800 much anymore in hillclimbing or deep deep fresh snow. Rarely do I get days off to ride fresh snow. 90% of my riding is with inexperienced or even newbie riders. I now prefer to hit any open area I can and "boondock" or explore, while keeping an eye on the group I take out. Kind of like riding my Trials bike.

I want a better handling, better riding sled that is easy to handle in the technical areas, some trails and yet still enjoy on those rare occasions that I go with "experienced" riders.

Weight, ride and suspension out weigh my need for torque or HP anymore. I end up running circles around the newbies, hit every little off trail area I can, but still keep close to them and help them enjoy getting out. Not a big air catcher, but love to hit natural bumps and jumps as they occur.

My Edge HP is 150ish as it sits and 600's look about 120ish. I still ride my 500 Indy sleds every once in a while and while they are gutless in comparison, they still are fun, but the handling/ride is unbearable.

Will I be terribly disappointed in the 600 power for the riding I now do?

S
Jan 28, 2011
Upper Peninsula
My riding style has changed from hard riding on modded out 800 triples to a semi-modded 02 800 Edge. I seldom if ever even push the 800 much anymore in hillclimbing or deep deep fresh snow. Rarely do I get days off to ride fresh snow. 90% of my riding is with inexperienced or even newbie riders. I now prefer to hit any open area I can and "boondock" or explore, while keeping an eye on the group I take out. Kind of like riding my Trials bike.

I want a better handling, better riding sled that is easy to handle in the technical areas, some trails and yet still enjoy on those rare occasions that I go with "experienced" riders.

Weight, ride and suspension out weigh my need for torque or HP anymore. I end up running circles around the newbies, hit every little off trail area I can, but still keep close to them and help them enjoy getting out. Not a big air catcher, but love to hit natural bumps and jumps as they occur.

My Edge HP is 150ish as it sits and 600's look about 120ish. I still ride my 500 Indy sleds every once in a while and while they are gutless in comparison, they still are fun, but the handling/ride is unbearable.

Will I be terribly disappointed in the 600 power for the riding I now do?

no, not at all. I came off of a modded fst switchback turbo that was set up for the mountains. I liked to take cliffs and pound it till it broke (happened occasionaly). I now am on a 2007 rmk 600 w/ fox float front and WE dragon shocks off of a 2010. I notice the power big time but the sled makes up for it in weight/handiling/and sheer nimbleness. My .02, pm me with any questions.

T

Trenchmaster

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
The newer chassis makes the 600 preform better in every aspect except straight up hill climbing. We have an 08 800 Dragon 163" and an 07 600 RMK 144" the smaller sled is just more fun to ride!!! in all but the steep and deep.

J
Jan 20, 2009
Northern Utah
I have 2 2008's, I do a fair amount of the type of riding you describe. Most of the time I can ride circles around the inexperienced riders with better sleds. The only time the 600 lacks is going straight up in 2ft fresh, which is a rare occurrence anyway. The handling is unbeatable. Anyone with more than a year of riding experience can put this thing through the tightest of trees on a powder covered slope.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Puyallup, Wa.
I went from an 02 800 156 (with SLP single) to an 07 600 155 after riding a friends 07 600, and had no regrets.

The throttle response on the 600 is incredible. Putting an SLP single and airbox mod got it up to the low 130's horsepower wise.

Without a doubt that 07 600 was the most fun sled to ride that I have ever owned, and I've owned quite a few. Good deep snow performance with front limiter strap out. As others have said about the only time you notice the smaller motor is when you are doing long climbs like at Baker or Whistler.

I sold it when I got a very good deal on an 08 800 163.

Unless ALL you do is hillclimbing get one, you will love that sled.

R
Nov 27, 2007
Ride the 600 for a day and your body will apreciate it, I had a 02 800 159, good sled always wondered when the crank would go. If you are a flat land rider you won't miss the power to much, in a race the 6 will be as quick as a stock 800, just won't have the torque. As already mentioned the IQ chassis rides and handles great, the 600 is a bullet proof motor and has good resale value. I have two 07 d7's, the 700 would be a better choice but if you get a good deal on the 600 you won't regret it.
good luck.

A
Nov 16, 2010
Idaho
I went from an 01 800 to a 06 600 and dont regret it a bit. Yes you can feel a bit less power, but i can take the lil 6 everywhere the 800 took me, and the handling and suspension more than make up for any difference in power.

Plus I am not worrying when i am going to lose a motor.

polrmk

Premium Member
Dec 6, 2007
Goodhue, MN
Went from 2000 700 rmk 136 to 2010 600 rmk 144. The 6 has more power not as much torque easier to ride. Works great in 2.5 feet of powder, easy to side hill, easy to go from seated to standup. Most of my riding in the mtns is open meadows, jumping drifts, not much for hill climbing. Home is mostly trail riding. Love not having to change jets and reverse. It gets me wherever I want to go just not as tired when I get there.

R
Dec 2, 2001
Spokane WA
You wont regret that move, especially under the conditions you described. I spent many hours/miles on the Edge chassis and I would take my back up sled (09 700) any day of the week. I know you said 600, but same deal.

J

jaysonfreerider

Jul 18, 2008
Troy, MT
ridden with alot of the newer 600's and they go good for sure. IT was keeping up with, or doing better, then the 03 800 151 i was on...

P
May 2, 2008
Breckenridge, Co.
I have a 07 600 144" track for a backup sled as well. Fun as hell sled. I miss the torque though. I dont know if a better track would help, but it doesn't like the steep and deep much. Everything else is a blast though. Great jumper.

R

rmkray

Nov 26, 2007
Albert lea Minnesota
I have a 06 switchback 600 i used a 144 2.4 series 4 on this last march in the snowies and it was a blast. i used to ride an 04 pro x2 800 with a 2" 151 under it. the switchback handling is so much better that i did not miss the power. And it is one of the funnest sleds i have ever rode.

S
Jul 7, 2001
Kent WA
Wow, thanks for all the relevant feedback. I may find out myself soon. I have always had sleds considered DOGS.

Check out some of my recent ones.

XLT - Cranks busting -- Never had an issue, but was on my mind

Ultra - Stock they sucked, but with all the mods I had 800bb and others, it was awesome,but still a rep of being a pig. and it was a mod. Nuff said

02 800 - another crank eater - Never has it even hiccuped, but it still is in my mind.

4th time the charm???

And yes, I have owned AC, SD, Y sleds, but all in a previous generation.

Premium Features