• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

18:42 gears on a 12 pro?

D
Mar 31, 2011
Buddy of mine wants to gear down his 12 pro. We have an 18 tooth gear to throw in which = 18:42. Should make 2.33 if I'm correct. Will this work or is that going to run the chain too loopy if that makes sense?

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
I personally will not run a gear smaller than a 20 Tooth on the top; and even then it has to be a billet machined gear and not a powder metal sprocket.

I've had way too many small powder metal sprockets frag on me and take out the case at the most inopportune times.

My recommendation would be a 20/46 for a 2.3 ratio or a 20/47 for a 2.35 ratio; the 47 Tooth is quite hard to find but it will fit the case. I did not calculate the chain pitch for either one as all my sleds are all custom C3 belt drives these days.

My track speed of choice is 75-80 MPH (on a stock or near stock sled). That track speed allows you to effectively use all of the clutches, which lowers belt temps and prolongs their service life by 3-5 times as a rule.

mtnclimber19

Lifetime Membership
Mar 13, 2008
Sheridan, wy
We have 3 pros in our group that have been running 18-44 gearing for 2 years now and none of them have had any issues. I agree that it's better to run bigger gears to get the same ratio but I'm pretty sure you'll be just fine using what you have.

Premium Features