• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Question about snow bikes on hard pack.

E
Oct 22, 2018
One of my favorite things to do is ride a quad around the city on snowy nights. A bunch of us get together and mob around while the plows do the streets.

My question is how would this be on a snow bike?

I've tried to find videos of snow bikes on hard pack but come up short. I wonder if it's comparable to the xgames snow bike racing.

Thanks

SuperchargedWS6

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2010
Snowbikes are not fun in that environment. Each new kit raises the bar on how they perform on hard pack, but it's still not great. Pushing hard on a groomed trail can be really fun. Moderate to low speeds on roads with icy sections is not. Stick to a quad or snowmobile for that.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

M
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
Might also add to the "yahoo" image that so many of us are trying to improve upon - what do the locals think or is this a one-horse town you live in? :pizza::wine::devil::face-icon-small-con

D
Mar 29, 2010
It can be fun, and it can really suck, it depends on the snow. Riding ditches can also be a blast as well. First thing I’d do is get a gold standard triple point carbide, helps a ton. When riding asphalt sections - keep it straight, and don’t lean the bike. If you have a loud bike, thrown in a dB dawg to keep the noise down.

I live in a sled friendly town in the snow belt region of Ontario, Canada. Last year April 16 we got a freak late season dump that started out as freezing rain. I went for a neighborhood rip to feel it out, and it turned to be awesome snow. I’d say give it a go when you get snow, if it sucks, you will know in a few minutes.

5F035F43-044F-44D8-915E-3DEA34E046C5.jpeg

N
Mar 21, 2016
NW oregon
https://youtu.be/0iQX41t5dsM

It’s fun, but only if you wear shorts.

This day I rode around the hood, a few blocks, came home a hero (crashed once because couldn’t see curb under snow) but my buddy came over on his sled after evading cops on a 70mph romp through the entire city. So, no. Bikes are not up to the task of street mobbing.

Premium Features