• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Where Do I Even Begin

P
Dec 17, 2009
Timberlakes
Riding on snowy roads from my house to my riding area with plenty of snow to dip into on the side.

First thing to happen was the speedo went out. Not a big deal, but I pulled over and checked wiring. I did not see anything so I kept on.

Sppedo came back, but now had some fuel level indicator I had never seen before. Still no big deal. However, at WOT and at idle the speedo goes out. Oh well keep riding and found GREAT untouched snow.

Now climbing in the trees (nothing crazy) get to the top and and lose forward momentum while still WOT and she revs and keeps revving so I kill it and jumped off as it kept revving. Finally it shut down.

So I checked the belt and all looked good. Checked to be sure track was on drivers and all looked good. So I fired it up and all was good, except it started in reverse:noidea:

I had a difficult time getting out of reverse but managed and started home at this point.

Things were going well, but slowed for a steep gulley so as not to get bucked and started revving high and then popped into reverse but stopped revving. This is the last time this happened, but took longer to get it out of reverse.

Started home again. The speedo still going out at idle and WOT. Now, however, when it goes out the red wrench stays lit. Before nothing was lit, it seemed as though it was disconnected.

By the time I got home it just started to smell as though something was burning.

This morning when I went to start it, it was a hard start, but got going and idled fine.

Tried to put it in reverse and it would grind and sometimes pop in. Once in, very hard to get it out but would grind and eventually pop out.

Sorry for the long intro. Also, I am on the ipad in which I fat finger really bad so I apologize for the spelling and such.

At this time I have not opened anything up, but I am afraid of what I will find in my diamond drive

Last edited:

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Ryan, which year are you again man? Can't remember. I'm assuming 07 or 08, right?

I'm wondering if you've just got a servo issue... don't want to speculate as to what the insides of the DD look like, you never know, might be just between gears & making noise, but no big deal.

I'd give some thought to getting the manual reverse lever made by peak performance
http://www.peakdesignworks.com/PeakPerformancefrontpage.html

Light, cheap, simple, and the sled will never be in a gear you didn't tell it to be in again.

That would be step one for me. Then look at the drive & figure out if there is damage, and what needs to be replaced. If there's an underlying computer problem... this won't "fix" that, but it will no allow the computer to glitch out & bounce your shifter around.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
As far as a servo issue, what will I have to look into for fixing it?

If you get the shifter lever, you won't. Easy fix:D

If the computer is freaking out in other ways (you mentioned the display doing weird things) obviously it won't fix that... but it at least eliminates one issue, and perhaps the computer "fighting" the servo (like if it wasn't shifting ALL the way into forward or something like that) will be eliminated as a possible cause/ further issue.

P
Dec 17, 2009
Timberlakes
Gottcha. I will be doing the easy fix- thanks

Also,I would like to be sure to fix all issues. I did a quick search and it seems the servo will effect the valves? It did seem to be a bit sluggish at WOT

Last edited:

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Gottcha.

I just want to be sure to fix all issues. I did a quick search and it seems the servo will effect the valves? It did seem to be a bit sluggish at WOT

You may be thinking of a different servo.

On your setup (07-08) there's a servo which I'm talking about that's the "shifter servo"... it just shifts from F to R. There's also the PV servo, which moves the powervalves, totally different unit.

IF you were getting some kind of error/ code from the bad or blocked shifter servo I could see that telling the computer to back off, like ECU 21 does. I've never had that happen though, so I can't say one way or the other. If the computer is trying to tell the servo to go to full forward shift & it can't though, I could see that causing other oddities.

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
I would be checking all the wiring connections for water and also check the chassis ground at steering hoop base behind and below coolant tank. That is only ground for whole harness other than stator ground on motor. Weird things happen when that ground is bad. Look for water in harnesses as well.

P
Dec 17, 2009
Timberlakes
I would be checking all the wiring connections for water and also check the chassis ground at steering hoop base behind and below coolant tank. That is only ground for whole harness other than stator ground on motor. Weird things happen when that ground is bad. Look for water in harnesses as well.

Just noticed that my thumb warmer wires are totally broken off. Could that cause any oddities? I am guessing no?

Also, I have read there are some wires under the gas tank that can cause issues?

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Turn handwarmer switch off and problem shouldn't be there if that is it. Unplug handlebar harness to make sure. Wires under tank go to the reverse and PV servomotor and can cause issues if waterlogged or rubbed and touching tunnel. Some guys remove tank and reroute in front of tank. I have also had issues with coil wiring on tunnel and run mine over top of each coil instead of under.

M
Dec 23, 2010
I put the lever on my 08. Super easy. Remove the servo and make sure you hook the beeper back up so you don't pin it in reverse by accident. Sounds like it might be a short but you might try just unplugging the reverse servo. Sled goes way better with all that weight outa there now. Hahaha

P
Dec 17, 2009
Timberlakes
Gas tank has been leaking like a sieve from the cap lately. Not sure why, but I assume that gas is getting under the tank and possibly shorting things out. I will look into rerouting that tomorrow.

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
I had a short on my tail light wiring and the sled would go into limp mode. It also kept blowing the fuse and I had no speedo. One time the fuse blew unloading from the truck and the lights went out for the does time along with the speedo again. I also could not get out of reverse no matter what I did. Three a new fuse in quickly took it out of reverse and te speedo went out again and it went into limp mode some more. So yes wiring can make the sled freak out. Make sure no wiring are shorting anywhere. Tail light is super common under the gas tank on the M sleds. Also get all of your grounds and like said above check your thumb/ hand warmers. Like unplug them. You can just unplug the tail light switch right up by the break there is a wire for it. That's an easier way then taking out the whole gas tank. Just make sure not to unplugged speedo that won't help you at all hah. Good luck!

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
once you get that peak lever pull your shift servo and back up beeper wires from under the tank from the clutch side and roll up out of the way on mag side..you don't have to take the tank off, just loosen things up abit and you get enough freeplay..while your at it some times the coil wires can be pulled abit forward as they sometimes get abit under that tank..

but sounds like shift servo wire issues...

P
Dec 17, 2009
Timberlakes
Ok. I am going to check into/do all the things you guys have recommended.

Just wanted to add one more thing. Had to move it this morning, fired right up, but NO FORWARD AT ALL:face-icon-small-sho Full throttle, clutches are moving as they should. So I thought "what if I check out reverse?" Popped right in with less grinding than yesterday. Throttled it and moved it to where I needed in reverse.:face-icon-small-hap. :cheer2:

I don't know if this gives you more diagnosis or just confirms everything you have already explained. Thanks for everything guys. I refuse to take it to a shop and wouldn't be capable of this without your assistance:thumb:

Qreiff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
Just a thought............CCU update done? (that teeny little wiring "loop)

P
Dec 17, 2009
Timberlakes
Just a thought............CCU update done? (that teeny little wiring "loop)

Nope, not done:face-icon-small-dis. When I first bought it used, I brought it into Cutler's and cheched for updates. They said had not been done and did not recommend doing it. They said more issues doing than not. Perhaps after I check for the above mentioned possibilities and things are not right, I will get the update

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Open up the diamond drive & see how bad it is. Don't try running it anymore, as we already know it's not engaging fully.

The update, like Dale said... is hit & miss. Don't just get it just because, make sure you've still got an issue after getting the reverse lever, and getting the DD checked out.

First though, pull the cover & see how the DD looks.

P
Dec 17, 2009
Timberlakes
well, I will be waiting on doing any repairs. Marc at WRP is fabbing up a bumper for the sled. Can't wait to see what he comes up with. Also, saw a product WRP just finished up. sounds like they are sending it off to powder coat and then should see some pics soon. It is pretty cool and priced nice

Premium Features