• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

primary clutch weights sticking!

triple650

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2009
Canadia
2010 crossfire 800, clutch has about 1000 miles on it, noticed it wasnt hitting its peak rpm, had been running amazing like two weeks ago. i took the cover off the primary to check if it was the spider doesnt look cracked. clutch is still pretty decent slides back and forth good with little movment. issue tho i noticed two of my weights are kinda stiff to move, they should have no resistence right? one of them is really stiff. is there any way to clean these to get them moving? or do i have to replace them?? the clutch is pretty dirty. any advice on how to clean/fix this would be apreciated.

i put a new belt on today and it wasnt fully shifting, place mark on primary about 3/4 way up. let me know people :)

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
It sounds like your weights are too tight. If you take the nuts off the bolts, inspect your O rings, reapply loctite and tighten them just enough to ensure the O rings stay in place but still allows the weights to move freely, your'e there. There's a fine line between too tight and just right. You may want to replace your primary spring while you are at it.

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
Is there a torque spec on the weight pins? As far as I know when they bottom on the threads its tight. The fixed weights style clutch weights do not move as freely as the shim style weights. When I replace weights I make sure all 3 have same tension while moving them through range of motion. I guess I would like to know if I am doing something wrong.

triple650

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2009
Canadia
It sounds like your weights are too tight. If you take the nuts off the bolts, inspect your O rings, reapply loctite and tighten them just enough to ensure the O rings stay in place but still allows the weights to move freely, your'e there. There's a fine line between too tight and just right. You may want to replace your primary spring while you are at it.

ill have to take them off tomorow and look, they where fine about two weeks ago and only sunday and today i noticed it. i havnt touched the weights, so i dont know i dont wanna have to wait for new ones since theres a load of snow right now. dealers gonna take atleast a week to order guranteed...

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
weighty issue

sometime look up how many pounds of pressure a rotating 70 gram weight puts on rollers at say 5000 rpm. then consider that a tight or loose 1/4" wieight bolt can NOT exert enough resistance on that weight to affect shift so you would notice.

Won't upshift or back shift, problems likely elsewhere.

triple650

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2009
Canadia
sometime look up how many pounds of pressure a rotating 70 gram weight puts on rollers at say 5000 rpm. then consider that a tight or loose 1/4" wieight bolt can NOT exert enough resistance on that weight to affect shift so you would notice.

Won't upshift or back shift, problems likely elsewhere.

what else could it be? both springs are new, so are rollers, helix has 500 miles on it. the one weight was for sure stuck, and theres no crack in the spider. so i really dont know.... :( backshift under heavy load is pretty bad.

fasta76

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2008
Lumby,BC
Blow out your clutch with compressed air. How are the rollers on the primary? sticky or do the move nice?

triple650

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2009
Canadia
Blow out your clutch with compressed air. How are the rollers on the primary? sticky or do the move nice?

rollers are really nice, it has to be that one stuck weight. tomorow ill take them off and clean the clutch. it was stuck and i took a screw driver to get it going, so for sure its that. i cant see anything else being the issue. any tricks on cleaning the clutch? break clean??

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
when i had that style i on occasion would rub the oring abit on a flat file to have the not tight and bolt free..

granted the force does get that weight out even sticky..but when two other wieghts are getting there ahead of the third one and your bushing is worn in your clutch cover or sheave..then a little kitty wonkie could happen imo..hence like suggested above by catsledman...other issues..

triple650

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2009
Canadia
okay, so i checked the weights again and there not stuck. what would cause the rpms to drop only 300 rpm?? the belt was new, in real heavy snow. the primary is in good condition, spring is new in both clutches. helix 500 miles, new rollers. one this i could see about 2 weeks ago the cables for my exhaust valves where frozen and i got a code, they un froze and it ran fine till sunday, when it ran like that sunday i had the used belt. but i put the new belt in yesterday and still the same.

ive never cleaned the exhaust valves, i have 2500 miles and i use amzoil interceptor. i really dont know what it could be :(

one this i should add, is the weight supposed to move freely on the bolt??? cause my weights are stuck on the bolt. and the bolt turns with the weight, the set screw is also seized lol. and it if i turned the survo by hand clock wise, it wouldnt spring back id have to turn it manually, is that normal??

Last edited:
R
Feb 24, 2009
Gunnison, Co
There's a few things i would check; first take out your power valves and clean them, its quick and easy! next check that your power valve cables are not broken! my 07 m1000 will break thos stupid cables right off and my sled doesnt give off any signals. next thing i would check is the rollers on the end of the spider lobes (the ones that make contact with the weights) when these wear or if things are running out of spec, these rollers can sometimes drag or skid and not roll. had my 06 m7 tear through a spider roller, wore it all the way through and wore down the weight too! surprisingly the sled still ran pretty dang good.
good luck!

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
check that your power valve cables are not broken! my 07 m1000 will break thos stupid cables right off and my sled QUOTE]

wasn;t there an issue with them rolled on the drum improperly and or the guide for the drum backwards or something that cut them right from new..??..it was a simple fix ..

R
Feb 24, 2009
Gunnison, Co
check that your power valve cables are not broken! my 07 m1000 will break thos stupid cables right off and my sled QUOTE]

wasn;t there an issue with them rolled on the drum improperly and or the guide for the drum backwards or something that cut them right from new..??..it was a simple fix ..

Not sure, I bought the sled off a buddy with a bad crank and cylinder, turned out the good cylinder had been running with a broken valve cable (was broken down in the cable housing near the valve). I then bought a new crate motor from country cat and dropped it in with new valves and cables. the new set up did the same thing after 500miles

triple650

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2009
Canadia
Found the problem :( cable for the clutch side exhaust valve is frayed right at the elbow before going into cylinder.. I'm gonna try and lubricate cable so that I can kind of enjoy this amazing snow we have right now before it melts. Ill order cables for both sides tomorow. Guaranteed my dealer is gonna say of there back ordered for 10 years like always.

Tool them 3 weeks to get me my rail caps, good thing I used my old ones.

R
Feb 24, 2009
Gunnison, Co
Found the problem :( cable for the clutch side exhaust valve is frayed right at the elbow before going into cylinder.. I'm gonna try and lubricate cable so that I can kind of enjoy this amazing snow we have right now before it melts. Ill order cables for both sides tomorow. Guaranteed my dealer is gonna say of there back ordered for 10 years like always.

Tool them 3 weeks to get me my rail caps, good thing I used my old ones.

Check out the supreme tool valves, they convert your apv s to a skidoo or polaris style valve. they are a little expensive but they are very reliable, with no bs cable adjustments every few rides, and at $50 a pop on the apv cables they will pay for them self in a few seasons.

triple650

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2009
Canadia
Friend of mine told me about a dealer 6 hours south of me that he use to deal with, gave them a call had both cables in stock. They put them on the ONR bus, (greyhound) basically lol had them the next day. Got it all fixed up Saturday night and went ripping yesterday! 75$ a cable tho!!!! But I'm glad I got it fixed thanks a lot guys! :)

Premium Features