• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mountaintech A Arms for Nytro MTX

S
Nov 23, 2013
Nelson BC
Nothing is indestructible but you may want to rethink your negativity re glued components - a high quality structural adhesive (glue) properly applied will cause the surrounding structure to fail before the bond! If you are worried about the "glue" failing I suggest that you never get in a new car, modern airplane, boat or just about any other type of conveyance along with lots of steel reinforced concrete structures and such as structural adheasives are used extensively in most industries due to their ease of installation and, in many cases, superior clamping / bonding forces.

Good design is a compromise between art, design, engineering, testing and common sense.

couch - what you just wrote makes a lot of sense to me. Real world testing is the only way to prove what works and what doesn't whether it's a 2-stroke motor, glued a-arms, engineered, not engineered, or whatever.

Otherwise I find it odd that some people are so feverishly defending a set of a-arms that nobody's tested yet. Maybe this is more about defending the design processes of the "little guy" than it is about the a-arms. If it's the latter, I get that. I can see how my posts could be misconstrued as picking on the design process. I'll check for some feedback in March.

C
Dec 3, 2007
Alberta
Was just going over my sled & measured up the front end. It is 42" C-C of the skis.
Im thinking I have a short track nytro that has been longtracked & turbo'd. Always something with this sled!!!

So what is the best width for the Mtn chassis? Since I do have the 42" what all do I need to change to the narrow front end other than A arms?

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
Was just going over my sled & measured up the front end. It is 42" C-C of the skis.
Im thinking I have a short track nytro that has been longtracked & turbo'd. Always something with this sled!!!

So what is the best width for the Mtn chassis? Since I do have the 42" what all do I need to change to the narrow front end other than A arms?

are your spacers all to the inside of the ski,if so you can move them all to the outside to narrow ski stance.

C
Dec 3, 2007
Alberta
Thanks BigFish..
They are half & half right now. Only reason I even measured the width is I found whoever built my sled had it all powdercoated. The spindles have been hitting the aarms & chipping the coating off.

I looked at some other Nytro pics & seen that my spindels where on the wrong sides??? So now that I moved them everything needed adjusting.

Custom sled builders my arse!!!! Made it shiny but don't have a clue about anything else they do!

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
Thanks BigFish..
They are half & half right now. Only reason I even measured the width is I found whoever built my sled had it all powdercoated. The spindles have been hitting the aarms & chipping the coating off.

I looked at some other Nytro pics & seen that my spindels where on the wrong sides??? So now that I moved them everything needed adjusting.

Custom sled builders my arse!!!! Made it shiny but don't have a clue about anything else they do!

if its 42 wide with them half on each side those are trail arms, stock are 39.5 mountain ones.as for what is the right width that is up to how you like your sled set up i like narrow so side to side movement is easy.

C
Dec 3, 2007
Alberta
It is a 2010 supposedly?? It has a TB162 tunnel. Same as a CR racing tunnel & a rear mount Alpine turbo. 200Hp kit
I've never had a problem with Mtn riding or sidehilling but now I wonder what it would be like with the narrow front end? Of & it has SLP powder pro skis.
Makes me really interesred in your kit now Peter. Just wondering what else I'll need to go narrow? Just your AArms & a set of steering rods or shocks aswell?

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
It is a 2010 supposedly?? It has a TB162 tunnel. Same as a CR racing tunnel & a rear mount Alpine turbo. 200Hp kit
I've never had a problem with Mtn riding or sidehilling but now I wonder what it would be like with the narrow front end? Of & it has SLP powder pro skis.
Makes me really interesred in your kit now Peter. Just wondering what else I'll need to go narrow? Just your AArms & a set of steering rods or shocks aswell?

Just the A arm kit. I can set you up with the proper tie rods.

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
Sweet Peter,

Just let me know when you start making them & how much I need to get saved up!!

Top brackets just got finished. Started working on the a arms today. 10 sets for the first run.

000_0002.jpg

Last edited:

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
Pics of bracket installed. Realignment of the shock allows for proper shock placement, which translates into linear shock travel and optimum lower shock mount placement on the lower A arm.

000_0014.jpg 000_0013.jpg 000_0015.jpg

1madbird

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
West Bountiful, Utah
So I am trying to figure out this caster angle. You said that 22-24 is the best angle. A stock Polaris Pro is 26. And them CMX changes that to 16 and they say that it is even better. Does the weight of the sled make a difference or not? Will your suspension adjust that far? And how does caster make such a difference in how a sled handles.

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
So I am trying to figure out this caster angle. You said that 22-24 is the best angle. A stock Polaris Pro is 26. And them CMX changes that to 16 and they say that it is even better. Does the weight of the sled make a difference or not? Will your suspension adjust that far? And how does caster make such a difference in how a sled handles.

Lets stick with Nytros here. Different platforms may well react differently, just like cars. With the testing I did I found that 22-24+ degrees worked very well for the Nytro chassis Less than that, and the difference was quite obvious. It was very apparent when riding in deep snow. The stock Nytro caster setting is 23 degrees. What are your caster settings presently? I am assuming you have a Nytro. Depending on your A arms and subframe you may or may not have that. The prototypes I used last year allowed for independent caster and camber adjustments that could be changed quickly while I was up riding. That allowed me to assess different setups in the same snow conditions. I live VERY close to the snow so I was able to ride in all possible conditions over the course of last season.

C
Dec 3, 2007
Alberta
So are your new arms adjustable then Peter? When installing them what is the best way to get the angle right. Weight on the skis or suspended?
With the new angles will I need to change shock pressures? Im running the Fox 2

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
So are your new arms adjustable then Peter? When installing them what is the best way to get the angle right. Weight on the skis or suspended?
With the new angles will I need to change shock pressures? Im running the Fox 2

Absolutely. Adjustable for camber and caster independently. Caster adjustability is roughly 21 to 27 degrees. Adjust settings with weight on skis, track on the ground. Leave shocks where they are for now.

C
Dec 3, 2007
Alberta
Thanks Peter,

Heres another question for you though. I have the XTX 42" front end. Will my shocks work with this kit or do I also need shorter shocks?

I knew the arms & tie rods are longer but is there a difference in the shocks??

Premium Features